PDA

View Full Version : Lead and copper still coming out, sizes looking better.

Changeling
12-27-2009, 07:39 PM
I can't believe I'm still getting lead and copper out of this revolver but I am. I don't see how it still shot, I mean this thing was terrible, still is! Cylindar rotation marks are extremely light to nothing and there are no bangs nicks or anything.

Jack on another post said it dated to 1995 (thanks Jack), I just think they shot it till it quit or something.

This is after the 2nd soaking in Shooters Choice, the cylinders today measure at .450 or less one is still chocked up so it doesn't count. No idea what the bore is, no hurry. I'm just hoping the cylinders stay where they are at, I would rather ream them to perfection then replace anything. :roll:

9.3X62AL
12-27-2009, 07:53 PM
1995 is well within The Era Of Tight-Throated Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt Cylinders. My BisHawk x 45 is from that same period. My throats ran ~.449", so you might be getting down to actual steel by this time.

Those tight throats in concert with the .452" groove diameter would turn the barrel into a silver-plated sewer pipe with any plain-based boolit, and accuracy was about 'improved cylinder'. Patterns, not groups, in other words. The ONLY boolit that shot worth a hoot was Lyman #454490, a Thompson-esque SWC with gas check. It likely leaded the barrel too, but the gas check removed most of the deposits as they accumulated.

I opened the throats to .453", and now boolits sized at .454" go into throats .001" smaller and transition to grooves .001" smaller yet. And shoot better than I can hold, from 750-1200 FPS. Zero leading, too.

There is Life After Jacked-Up Revolver Dimensions.