PDA

View Full Version : ANNEALING 40 CAL. re 44 BOOLITS

SWANEEDB
12-27-2009, 06:45 PM
I have been swaging 40 cal cases for the 44, however I have not annealed, coming out quite nice. ? is would annealing them give better exspantion ?:coffee:

BT Sniper
12-28-2009, 12:40 AM
Yes I have noticed the amount of anneal will effect the expansion of the bullet. Makes sence I guess.

Grapeshot
12-29-2009, 02:21 PM
I have been swaging 40 cal cases for the 44, however I have not annealed, coming out quite nice. ? is would annealing them give better exspantion ?:coffee:

You bet your bippy it will. Once you anneal those cases they become quite soft and maliable. I have a few .45 Colt bullets that I made and fired into a heavy cardboard cylinder. They did not penetrate with 8 grains of Unique the antire tube, but when I dug them out of the layers of paper, they had expanded to about .80 to .85 inch with very little weight loss. And the rifling marks were quite clear an the jacket material.

scrapcan
12-29-2009, 02:52 PM
They will also expand (less springback) more in the swage die and may result in a larger diameter finished slug, prior to loading and firing expansion. And if you use soft lead for the core w/ annealed jacket, you may see an larger diameter coming form the swage die.

Of course the difference may only be .0005 inch diff.