PDA

View Full Version : well having a bad day today

iron mule
12-27-2009, 01:08 PM
guess i'll start from the begining// sized and cleaned 100 308 cases for the new [burro] gun then tried them in the gun bolt would not close so i remembered i had a small base die and would try resizing them in it , did a coiple and checked them , every thing good now cases fitting and bolt closeing // so back to the press to redo the rest , got about 60 done and then case gets stuck in die and head strips off -- any suggestions on getting it out first time i have had this happen//// next thing was putting a new bead on a customers shotgun and the tap broke but i was ablte to get the briken piece out and coplete the job// next closed shop gonna watch ball games and linger around here the rest of the day maybe tomorrow will be better/// hope everone else doesn't have one like this
mule

update added see post #32 thanks guys

StarMetal
12-27-2009, 01:27 PM
guess i'll start from the begining// sized and cleaned 100 308 cases for the new [burro] gun then tried them in the gun bolt would not close so i remembered i had a small base die and would try resizing them in it , did a coiple and checked them , every thing good now cases fitting and bolt closeing // so back to the press to redo the rest , got about 60 done and then case gets stuck in die and head strips off -- any suggestions on getting it out first time i have had this happen//// next thing was putting a new bead on a customers shotgun and the tap broke but i was ablte to get the briken piece out and coplete the job// next closed shop gonna watch ball games and linger around here the rest of the day maybe tomorrow will be better/// hope everone else doesn't have one like this
mule

If you have a stout press like a Rockchucker, screw the die in and remove everything from the die if possible leaving just the die and the case in the press. Then find the largest steel rod that will fit into the die. Pound out the case. Will be hard at first but after I few raps it should come right out.

Joe

9.3X62AL
12-27-2009, 01:36 PM
I concur with your decision to watch football after serial occurrences like those you describe. Once in a while, Our Lord tells us in no uncertain terms that other matters might be a better idea.

NHlever
12-27-2009, 01:39 PM
I've sure had my share of days like that, but I try to remember that other folks sure have bigger problems. :D You did the right thing to walk away since it probably would just have gotten worse. You can drill out the primer pocket, and tap it for a bolt. Put a spacer over the cartridge that the bolt can push against, and tighten the bolt. It will pull the case. The spacer can be large washers, a bushing, or perhaps even a piece of hardwood with a hole larger than the case drilled in it. That is how the commercial stuck case pullers work.

iron mule
12-27-2009, 01:47 PM
thanks for the suggestions on this // will try them tomorrow // this is the first time i have had a case stuck in a die , most of my loading is for bpcr and its a little different than this // you aree take care // i love this site it is one of the few where when you need some help and ask for it people will do what they can to provide it, and there may be a little ribbing to go with it but thats ok kinda takes the sting out of your messup
mule

fishhawk
12-27-2009, 01:53 PM
many many moons ago when i first started reloading i got a 06 case stuck in the size die and cussed a blue streak but finnaly got it out with out damage to the die. well i says be prepaired for the next time got one of the stuck case remover deals from RCBS and have never stuck another case...but i'm ready if i do! steve k

trk
12-27-2009, 01:58 PM
I made a stuck-case-removal tool. (Three guesses why.)
Drill and tap the primer hole (#7drill, 1/4-20 tap).
Tool is hollow (to receive end of cartridge). It rests on the end of the sizing die. A 1/4-20 bolt pulls the case out - just takes a box end wrench on the bolt and a larger wrench on the die (or leave it in the press).

No_1
12-27-2009, 02:08 PM
+1 on drilling and tapping. I use a long bolt with a nut and washer. You can use a 3/8 drive socket turned with the open end towards the die as your spacer. Place the socket on, then a washer, then the bolt with the nut. Ensure the bolt has full thread engagement, hold the bolt with 1 wrench, turn the nut with another wrench. Case will pop out.

Robert

Uncle R.
12-27-2009, 02:08 PM
A couple of years ago I had a run of stuck cases. Even clean, well lubed cases would often stick after the shellholder tore through the rim. I got pretty fast at pulling them out via the drill and tap method, but I couldn't figure out why they were sticking so often. I finally realized that I had a Hornady shellholder in my drawer with all of the RCBS tools - and Hornady's numbering system is different. When you use a too-big shell holder that grabs only a small portion of the rim you're gonna tear off a lot of rims and stick a lot of cases.
Argh!
<
So soon we get old - so late we get smart...
<
Uncle R.

StarMetal
12-27-2009, 02:21 PM
Try the rod pound method first. After you drill and tap it you won't be able to use the rod method.

Joe

12-27-2009, 02:42 PM
That's a mild version of what I say when it happens.

You can try the pound out with the steel rod method but obviously only if the die wasn't being used with a decapping rod with a neck expander on it :)

Let's see.
Dedicated stuck case removal tool- $15 plus shipping
2 small base dies if one ruined- $65-75 plus shipping
visit to gunsmith/friend/gun shop with tool $0-20 ?

DLCTEX
12-27-2009, 03:00 PM
+1 on the socket and drill and tap. I use a 3/16 drill and 1/4-20 tap, squirt with Kroil and let it set a while before trying to remove the case.

Larry Gibson
12-27-2009, 03:28 PM
Try the rod pound method first. After you drill and tap it you won't be able to use the rod method.

Joe

starmetal

Conceding to your obvious expertise I have to ask, since I've stuck case as iron mules has over the years, just how do you get the decapping rod and expander die either out through the flash hole or back out through the case neck which is well suported by the sizing die?

For the rest of us the drill, tap and screw the case out works the best and doesn't damage anything except the already ruined case.

Larry Gibson

GLynn41
12-27-2009, 03:39 PM
try this-- I have it done for years for the few I have stuck-- try to get some lube up in the case area if you have much of any rim left trun the die around until you get parallel to press -- take the ram up to the base of the hull with out the shell holder- slide the shell holder on the hull and the ram at the same time -- start pulling down slowly on what you have left-- I have used a big screw driver in addition to pulling down and to pry with and also have used said screw driver to beat down on the rim some as i pull down the ram
normally I can not get the dye apart-- so this has worked for me for years -- a little at ime but wiht patience and time I have gotten them all out-- I have even once used a smaller shell holder on what was left of the torn rim but I have gotten them out-- the other ways work too

swheeler
12-27-2009, 03:41 PM
IM: I've had a few days like yours, well probably more than a few. I too drill and tap the case and use a socket and washer for the bolt to pull against. Just the right amount of case lube is a WONDERFUL thing!

mpmarty
12-27-2009, 04:01 PM
sizing die wax is a great way to prevent these kinds of days from happening.

StarMetal
12-27-2009, 04:08 PM
starmetal

Conceding to your obvious expertise I have to ask, since I've stuck case as iron mules has over the years, just how do you get the decapping rod and expander die either out through the flash hole or back out through the case neck which is well suported by the sizing die?

For the rest of us the drill, tap and screw the case out works the best and doesn't damage anything except the already ruined case.

Larry Gibson

Larry,

Notice I mentioned if you can take the die apart in my first post. On the newer dies like RCBS, Hornady, and Lee you can unscrew the big threaded plug that holds the decapping rod. On the Hornady and Lee it's a collect type plug that grabs the decapping rod. On the RCBS it's just a threaded plug also threaded internally for the threaded decapping rod. True on the older dies that have the small hole in the top of the die for just the threaded decapping rod, you can't use the pound out method.

The expander ball will come through the neck even though the neck is in the neck portion of the die. I put a little lube on it to help it. Believe me, I've done many that way. I recently received a die from an Accurate Forum member where he stuck a 223 in a small base die. When I received it he had already gotten the expander plug and decapper out. Took me all of five mins to get the case out.

Notice on the dies pictured here those large threaded plugs on the sizer dies:

http://media.midwayusa.com/ProductImages/Large/528644.jpg
http://media.midwayusa.com/ProductImages/Large/417412.jpg
http://media.midwayusa.com/ProductImages/Large/425821.jpg
http://media.midwayusa.com/ProductImages/Large/148525.jpg

Okay?

Joe

Larry Gibson
12-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Joe

Again, not wanting an arguement or a discusion from you. I wanted a simple answer. You have failed to provide that. Further more you can't even read your own writing; You did not say in your first post;

"if you can take the die apart"

What you said was;

"If you have a stout press like a Rockchucker, screw the die in and remove everything from the die if possible leaving just the die and the case in the press."

The RCBS die you mentioned still requires the expander (attached to the decapping rod) to come out through the stck case neck. It is impossible to do without damaging the rod, the expander or the die. I asked you how you do that, you failed to answer the question. Iron Mule makes no mention of using Lee collet dies and most of us assume he could have figured that out. Besides the Lee collet die is a neck size die not a small base die as iron mule does mention using and had you read the post carefully you would have seen that.

Joe, if you are going to seek every opportunity to discredit me at least give me the benifit of the doubt and get it right. No, this is not "okay". It isn't even close and sorry, no cigar. Please try reading posts, particularly your own, a little more carefully and get your facts straight:-)

Iron mule will do well with the drill, tap and screw out method. That is the tried and true method to use to get a stuck case out of a FL die without damaging anything. No further discusion with you of this is required. Have a better day.

Larry Gibson

StarMetal
12-27-2009, 05:32 PM
Joe

Again, not wanting an arguement or a discusion from you. I wanted a simple answer. You have failed to provide that. Further more you can't even read your own writing; You did not say;

"if you can take the die apart in my first post"

What you said was;

"If you have a stout press like a Rockchucker, screw the die in and remove everything from the die if possible leaving just the die and the case in the press."

The RCBS die you mentioned still requires the expander (attached to the decapping rod) to come out through the stck case neck. It is impossible to do without damaging the rod, the expander or the die. Iron Mule makes no mention of using Lee collet dies and most of us assume he could have figured that out. Besides the Lee collet die is a neck size die not a small base die as iron mule does mention using.

Joe, if you are going to seek every opportunity to discredit me at least give me the benifit of the doubt and get it right. No, this is not "okay". It isn't even close and sorry, no cigar. Please try reading posts, particularly your own, a little more carefully and get your facts straight:-)

Iron mule will do well with the drill, tap and screw out method. That is the tried and true method to use without damaging anything. No frther discusion with you is required. Have a better day.

Larry Gibson

Larry,

No agrument, but this getting explicit with detail with you is just nonsense. You know very well what I meant about die. Go ahead and waste your time drilling and tapping and while you're doing that I'll have my case out and be back to resizing while you're still fiddling around. All you were really after was about pulling the expander ball through the die while the case neck is in the neck part of the die. Mechanically Larry, I think you're on the other side of the world somewhere.

Joe

waksupi
12-27-2009, 08:10 PM
Don't you guys start up again.

swheeler
12-27-2009, 08:25 PM
Junior High all over again.

Down South
12-27-2009, 09:00 PM
+1 on the socket and drill and tap. I use a 3/16 drill and 1/4-20 tap, squirt with Kroil and let it set a while before trying to remove the case.
This is the same method that I've used for years although I never used the Kroil. I’ve always just drilled and tapped then I use washers for spacers. Screw the bolt in and extract the case from the die. I keep the whole setup in one of my reloading bench drawers. I rarely have to use it thank God. A stuck case is always my fault, usually not enough lube on the cases. I rarely have to remove a stuck case but anyone reloading for 38 yeas will have to deal with this sometime or another.

watkibe
12-27-2009, 11:53 PM
I hate to hijack this thread back to the original question, lol, but Lee dies have what the instructions call a "built-in" stuck case remover. Unscrew and remove the collar that holds the decapping pin, and hit the end of the pin with a hammer.

Southern Son
12-28-2009, 02:45 AM
I will only add that you can make a stuck case remover from an old bolt, some washers, a drill and suitable tap. Once you have found all the bits you need and you have removed the stuck case, put the bolt, washers, drill and tap into a re-sealable plastic bag with a little oil, and keep it near your reloading bench. I did not do that and when I got my second case stuck I had to go through finding all the stuff again. That takes longer that using the stuff to get the case out.

geargnasher
12-28-2009, 03:42 AM
I hate to hijack this thread back to the original question, lol, but Lee dies have what the instructions call a "built-in" stuck case remover. Unscrew and remove the collar that holds the decapping pin, and hit the end of the pin with a hammer.

Wish I'd read those instructions before I figured that out for myself once! I like Lee dies for most applications for a lot of reasons, and that is one. A good roll-pin punch of the appropriate diameter works well, too.

I had a .44 mag case get stuck in an older RCBS .44 mag die (Case Lube 2 isn't what it's cracked up to be) and I was able to extract it by screwing down the decapping pin against the case head, but it ruined the die.

Now what I want to know is the Southern method of removing a stuck case that has the entire head pulled off!

Gear

StarMetal
12-28-2009, 08:48 AM
Wish I'd read those instructions before I figured that out for myself once! I like Lee dies for most applications for a lot of reasons, and that is one. A good roll-pin punch of the appropriate diameter works well, too.

I had a .44 mag case get stuck in an older RCBS .44 mag die (Case Lube 2 isn't what it's cracked up to be) and I was able to extract it by screwing down the decapping pin against the case head, but it ruined the die.

Now what I want to know is the Southern method of removing a stuck case that has the entire head pulled off!

Gear

To get one out where the case head is off (I'm assuming your talking just a tubing of brass left in the die) you can find a NF tap that is the right size to just catch the case and you can figure the rest from there....or you bore the case real thin with whatever you can, preferably a boring bar on a lathe...then "peel" the thin casing out.

Joe

DLCTEX
12-28-2009, 12:04 PM
I stuck a case in a Lee 7mm mag. die a while back and tried their pound it out with a hammer method. I pounded the decap rod into a pretzel and the case remained stuck. I then drilled and tapped the case, stripped the threads, drilled and tapped to 5/16, stripped the threads. At this point the case is still stuck in the die, but I traded for a set of Hornady dies, so there is no pressure to get it out. Last week I stuck a case in another Lee die (22-250), the lube pad was very cold and also did not have enough lube on it, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I was able to remove the die by hammering on the decapper, but the end of the rod was battered so that I had to file it to get it through the collet bushing. This was after placing a flat metal bar on top of the rod before hammering. I think it would have been faster to drill and tap it.

jhrosier
12-28-2009, 01:01 PM
I would drop the die in the mail and see if the diemaker could remove the case.
(Assuming the case is headless.)
The longer that you tinker with it, the more likely that you will do something silly and put a big old gouge in the die.
Don't ask me how I know this.

Jack

Dollar Bill
12-28-2009, 03:30 PM
I had one stuck 2 weeks ago. A 30-06 that I didn't wait long enough after applying Hornady One-shot. Removed the decapping rod assembly (couldn't get the expander ball out, so unthreaded it and left it in the case). Dropped a 3/16" steel rod in and gave it a couple stout whacks. Didn't budge. Sprayed some Kroil on it, came back the next day and first tap it came almost all the way out.

joeb33050
12-28-2009, 05:52 PM
I have an "RCBS Stuck Case Remover" and use it about every two or three years. A drill, tap. allen screw, allen wrench and cup-thing. Even I can use it.
When I get a case stuck, the expander ball is in the case and the case neck is in the neck sizing part of the die. I don't know how to pull the expander ball/threaded rod thing out of the die when the case is stuck. Can someone explain how?
Thanks;
joe b.

swheeler
12-28-2009, 06:02 PM
On the dies that have a threaded on expander plug you can pull up against the expander and unthread it off the rod, sometimes, but the expander plug is still inside the case. This is why I drill/tap and extract, then slice the case neck with the dremel to remove the expander button and rod. Now I have to admit to driving out a stuck 6.5x52 case with the Lee expander, once, but I now own a new expander for it, since the one I used to drive the case out bent.

iron mule
12-29-2009, 09:19 PM
update ----- the case is out had to use the drill and tap method with the bolt and spacer// the die was an older rcbs small base and had the small decepping rod//// i would like to thank every one for the help on this // but would also like to say that it saddens me for some to get nto an argument about help that was offered/// i closing i would ask people here to think before they start something like that when help is asked stop and think how the person aking for the help feels about causing problems between others i am not naming names or casting blame on anyone just asking everyone to think do not let it getout of hand /// thanks again you are great here
mule

swheeler
12-29-2009, 11:41 PM
Way to go mule! Now that you know how you'll never stick a case again!!

WHITETAIL
12-30-2009, 09:41 AM
See, this only proves what I have been saying.
These people on here are the best!
No matter what problem you might have
we have been their done that thing.
So ask away and you will recive.:Fire: