PDA

View Full Version : A goodbye to my beloved wife

Steelbanger
12-26-2009, 03:22 PM
I haven't posted much anywhere in a very long time due to being a caregiver to my wife, Carol. She was valiantly fighting metastatic melanoma for 2 1/2 years, enduring surgery, chemotherapy, radiation and countless scans, tests, drugs and treatments, losing her battle on November 17th. This Christmas was the most depressing, sad occasion that a person could endure. I long to hold her again, feel her gentle touch, but it's not to be. We had been married just a few months shy of 50 years and she was my life, the type of woman that you're proud and happy to be with. High school sweethearts into our golden years. I have family nearby so it's not that I'm alone, still there is a most significant part of my life gone. She was my travel partner, sometimes shooting partner, spotter, cheerleader, wife, lover, best friend. She was quite a shooter too, one time she ran 15 pigs in a row with her Contender! Man, was that a happy day for us!

Last Christmas, out of the blue, she surprised me with a rifle, one that I casually mentioned a month or so earlier. Deep down I realize she knew that would probably be her last Christmas and made it memorable for me. Over the years she often managed to surprise me at Christmastime with gifts like a PACT chronograph, digital camera, and many hobby related items.

Attached is a picture of Carol from April of 09. Her hair had just come back after chemo and was only about 1/2" long. In the early fall she lost all that hair again after having whole brain radiation. No person should have to endure all that she went through. I'm sure there's a special spot for her in heaven and no one deserves it more than she. Carol was 67 years old.

I really lost interest in hunting and shooting during her illness and will now try to rekindle that fire from the remaining tiny ember still glowing.

I hope your Christmas was merry and have a happy new year. And give your wife a loving hug too. It'll make you both feel good.

Frank

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/Steelbanger/arolreagan.jpg

mag44uk
12-26-2009, 03:39 PM
Gosh,I am so sorry for you. What a truly moving and in many ways,admirable,story.
The two of you had together what a lot of folk can only dream of.
Live with your fond memories and know that you are among brothers here.
I am thousands of miles away but offer anything I can as I know many here will.
You know full well that she would want you to continue enjoying our great hobby.
Rest easy my friend.
Regards,
Tony

largom
12-26-2009, 03:50 PM
You are a lucky man to have had all of those great years. Now, knowing how much your wife loved you, think about what she would want you to do. She would not want you to greive your life away. Instead she would want you to do the things that make you happy. The next time you bang that steel just say this one is for you dear. She will smile down on you.

Larry

square butte
12-26-2009, 04:10 PM
Very sorry for your loss. Words cannot do it justice.

swheeler
12-26-2009, 04:23 PM
My condolences, God bless you. Scot

45nut
12-26-2009, 04:23 PM
A very sincere "so sorry for your loss" from here, remember those good times often.

Sonoma2k2
12-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Frank indeed you were given a great life partner. Carol is still with you for sure. Many people around the world would give anything to exprience the love and memories you two made together. we are here for you Frank.

WILCO
12-26-2009, 07:20 PM
Very sorry for your loss. Words cannot do it justice.

Stay strong brother.

nekshot
12-26-2009, 07:27 PM
my prayers are with you Frank, and thank God for good memories.

m

waksupi
12-26-2009, 07:52 PM
Sorry to hear this, Frank. My best to you.

7br
12-26-2009, 08:05 PM
My condolences. Sounds like you had a wonder partner to share your life with.

ddixie884
12-26-2009, 08:05 PM
I'm SO sorry, I don;t know you, but you have my best wishes. Be well, and take care.

azrednek
12-26-2009, 08:34 PM
Steel Banger I was really touched by your posting and forgive me for saying so. I know I sound selfish but you have made me appreciate what I have in life much more. I can really feel your pain brother by just imagining myself in your situation and wish there was something I can do to help. If there is anything I can do to get you through this, please ask. I would be honored to help in your time of need.

Boondocker
12-26-2009, 08:35 PM
Frank you have my sincere condolences I am sorry for your loss. It sounds like you and Carol enjoyed a wonderful life and you have great memories to cherish. Be strong friend and she is with you in your heart and mind. Steve

Xcaliber
12-27-2009, 12:09 AM
Steelbanger, I too was touched by your loss and am so sorry . My thoughts and prayers are with you friend. You have lost what all men seek in life and some times never find. Her memory will live in you so she is never faraway from you. I will also say this....Don't give up on life...she wouldn't want you to. Take care.

hicard
12-27-2009, 12:50 AM
Wow, what a tear jerker. So sorry for your loss. She looked like a real nice woman.

Artful
12-27-2009, 02:16 AM
Cherish the memories she gave you, it's not the toys but the memories that we truly give each other.

gon2shoot
12-27-2009, 08:50 AM
Frank, mere words will not express my sympathy. I hope the good memories you have keep you company.

MT Gianni
12-27-2009, 10:14 PM
I am sorry for your loss. Best wishes at each Holiday as that loss will bring memories back. Gianni.

Bret4207
12-28-2009, 08:45 AM
The post you made serves as a fine testament to your wife, what more could she ask for? My sincerest condolences, you'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

exile
12-28-2009, 12:15 PM
So sorry for your loss. Words are inadequate to express our sorrow at times like these. Your 50 years of marriage was a wonderful gift. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

exile

EMC45
12-28-2009, 01:00 PM
With tears brimming, I give you my heartfelt condolences. I am truly sorry for your loss Sir. Evan

mtgrs737
12-29-2009, 01:12 PM
A heart felt condolence to your sir for your loss. Often I think of my dear wife and how I take her for granted until I stop and think about her and all that she does for me! If not for her loving care I would of been dead 9 years by now. God gave us Women to make us complete, without which we are anything but complete, again my condolences and may God heal your hurting heart.

cobbmtmac
12-29-2009, 02:08 PM
Frank,
I am so sorry for your loss. I want to pass on my condolences to you and your familey. Hang onto the great memories you shared.
Sincerely,

corvette8n
12-29-2009, 08:27 PM
Frank:
What a loving tribute to a beautiful woman. Be strong and keep her memory close.

rmb721
12-29-2009, 11:18 PM
I know Frank and they don't come any better than him.

Hang in there. Time will help ease the pain.

fatnhappy
12-29-2009, 11:27 PM
Frank I am so sorry for your loss.

mroliver77
12-30-2009, 03:28 PM
Dang. Frank,
Nothing I can say but your in my prayers. She had a twinkle in her eye that looks as though she might have been a bit feisty!
Jay

mstarling
12-30-2009, 06:29 PM
Frank,

There are no words that will really help right now. Will be a while until you can feel thankful for the wonderful luck you've had in sharing your life with her and that she lives on in you.

My most sincerely condolences.

Mike

Dframe
12-30-2009, 08:26 PM
I'm very sorry for your loss.

Lloyd Smale
12-31-2009, 09:19 AM
my prayers are with you pal. I cant imagine what youve been through!

The Virginian
01-08-2010, 03:18 AM
My deepest sympathies and God be with you in this trying time.