PDA

View Full Version : M1 Carbine - For those of you who....

captain-03
12-26-2009, 12:11 PM
... like these little pieces of history!! Wife decided to stay the nigh with her mother last night and I had some unexpected time on my hands. Got the Garands out last week for a reunion so I thought it would be a good time to look over the Carbines, and get reacquainted with them also.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj19/twwoodall/IMG_2522.jpg

Here they are from top to bottom:
International Business Machines (IBM)
Winchester
Winchester
Winchester
Underwood
Underwood
Underwood
Quality Hardware
Quality Hardware
Inland
Inland
National Postal Meter (NPA)
Standard Products

On the Left
Rockola
Rockola

On the Right
Saginaw SG
Saginaw S’G’

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj19/twwoodall/IMG_2521.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj19/twwoodall/IMG_2524.jpg

Ron B.
12-27-2009, 09:24 AM
Dammm---I hate you! :)
Nice collection; for sure!!!!

GRB

bcp477
12-27-2009, 09:51 AM
Oh, so it's YOU who is hoarding all of them....so none of us can find one !!!

(Just kidding. Very nice collection....congrats.)

:mrgreen:

missionary5155
12-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Good morning
That is a nice set of pictures... I have one Inland tucked away.
Reminds me what FREEDOM we have !

WILCO
12-27-2009, 10:36 AM
Nice collection; for sure!!!!

Indeed!

Shiloh
12-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Very Nice!!

I have owned several over the years, one at a time though!!:bigsmyl2:

Shiloh

Mumblypeg
12-27-2009, 11:36 AM
At least I got one that you didn't get, now I know why It took me so long to find it.

mike in co
12-27-2009, 12:59 PM
now we know why they cost so much.....

if i bought 10k in primers they call me a hoarder....i counted 19 rifles!(ohhh pardon me...carbines)

hoarder!

lol

nice collection.....and just how many garands ?

mike in co

captain-03
12-27-2009, 08:39 PM
...nice collection.....and just how many garands ? Mike in co

You did asked about Garands:

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj19/twwoodall/IMG_2496.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj19/twwoodall/IMG_2497.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj19/twwoodall/IMG_2494.jpg

jimb16
12-27-2009, 10:16 PM
Nice set of carbines. Here's mine....
http://s343.photobucket.com/albums/o463/jimb16/006-2.jpg

captain-03
12-29-2009, 09:28 PM
jimb16: Gotta love 'em don't ya!!

leadman
12-30-2009, 01:42 AM
Captian, I'm trying to assemble enough`parts for a Saginaw S,G,. I waqs born in Grand Rapids and at one time worked only about a mile from the old plant.
I just started this project and kinda got off to a bad start. I bought a carbine with a Saginas S.G. barrel. Didn't know there was a difference, Grand Rapids to Saginaw plants. I have 2 other carbines that have several SG parts in them.
Trying to find out how many parts of the carbine the Grand Rapids plant made. Might look for another carbine with a correct receiver and barrel.

captain-03
12-30-2009, 03:44 PM
Irwin-Pederson Arms had one of the original contracts during WWII to produce the carbine. Due to problems experienced, their contact was cancelled in April 1943 and the Irwin-Peterson Plant in Grand Rapids, MI was take over by the Saginaw Steering Greer Division of General Motors. In order to differentiate between the two Saginaw plans (Saginaw, MI and Grand Rapids, MI, the components supplied from the Saginaw, MI plant were coded SG and the components supplied from the Grand Rapids, MI plant were coded S’G’. The first delivery of carbines from the Grand Rapids, MI plant took place around April 1943.

Collectors tend to treat Carbines manufactured by Saginaw in the city of Saginaw (SG) as distinct and separate from those manufactured by Saginaw in Grand Rapids (S’G’). On early Grand Rapids carbines, many of the parts will have Irwin-Pederson (IP) codes. Eventually all parts were transitioned to S’G’ codes.

There is some debate regarding whether manufactures swapped, borrowed, or purchased parts from each other in order to meet production deadlines. Actually restoring a carbine to its original manufactured condition is not an easy thing to do. So many parts, so many modifications made to parts, so many manufactures, along with the lack of information makes if difficult unless you have a large budget. This is especially true with those produced in small quantities - such as the S‘G‘.

Some manufactures did not produce ALL the parts needed to assemble a carbine. They relied on other manufactures and sub-contractors to fill the void. Saginaw in Grand Rapids (S’G’) did not produce barrels. They used barrels provided by Underwood, Inland, Buffalo Arms, and Saginaw (SG).

If you are really interested in restoring a S’G’ carbine, I would suggest you do some research first … there are some pretty good books out there that will assist you in the quest. However, there are many collectors that can not agree on what is correct for what!!

Good Luck on your quest!!

Cbenc1
12-30-2009, 08:35 PM
Not 1, but 2 nice collections of carbines. I only have 1 carbine (Underwood), so its easy for me to pick my favorite.:smile:

Karen
12-30-2009, 11:34 PM
... like these little pieces of history!! Wife decided to stay the nigh with her mother last night and I had some unexpected time on my hands. Got the Garands out last week for a reunion so I thought it would be a good time to look over the Carbines, and get reacquainted with them also.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj19/twwoodall/IMG_2522.jpg

Here they are from top to bottom:
Winchester
Winchester
Winchester
Underwood
Underwood
Underwood
Quality Hardware
Quality Hardware
Inland
Inland
Standard Products

On the Left
Rockola
Rockola

On the Right
Saginaw SG
Saginaw S’G’

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj19/twwoodall/IMG_2521.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj19/twwoodall/IMG_2524.jpg

How many of your carbines have the cut out in the reciever for the slide spring tube vs a hole in the recever for the spring?

Beautiful Carbines, which is your fav?
I love my rockola. :)

shotman
12-31-2009, 01:42 AM
how many M2s that is the question

captain-03
11-28-2010, 02:13 AM
How many of your carbines have the cut out in the reciever for the slide spring tube vs a hole in the recever for the spring?

Beautiful Carbines, which is your fav?
I love my rockola. :)

Only 3 are spring tube receivers --- 1 Winchester and 2 Quality Hardware .. My favorites are the Rockola -- only because of the name ...

GARCIA
11-28-2010, 06:35 AM
Now I know why the CMP has no carbines left for sale!!!!

That is some mighty fine looking weapons guys!!!

Tom

PatMarlin
11-28-2010, 11:50 AM
Can I get one of those with an order of frys? ...:mrgreen:

PatMarlin
11-28-2010, 11:52 AM
Ooh I want one of those garands on the right with the tiger wood stocks. Where did you get those stocks?

leadman
11-29-2010, 07:14 PM
I'm sure he has worked up a special load for each individual rifle too!
I had 3 carbines but traded one for a Remington 1903.
I also have a Danish return Garand. When I got it the VAR barrel was brand new. Really nice shooter.

NHlever
12-02-2010, 07:11 AM
I had a M2 in Vietnam, but haven't seen one since........... even if I were licensed to have one.

MakeMineA10mm
12-07-2010, 12:42 AM
They're like potato chips, aren't they? My dad and I have about 7 Carbines, 3 Garands, 2 '03s and a 1917 between us. Seems like the more you get, the more you want! There's just something about them. They saved the world for freedom and democracy, at least once (twice for the '03s and 1917). Always keeping our eyes open for more.

Went to the Rock Island Auction last week and bid on the T3 Carbine they had up, but our bid was just a little better than half of what it finally sold for....

home in oz
12-07-2010, 02:19 AM
Nice, very nice!

9.3X62AL
12-07-2010, 03:00 PM
NICE bevies of war toys, for sure!

I've only had one M-1 Carbine to date, a mixed-number Rockola that ran wonderfully but wasn't what you'd call a tackdriver. It had to go in a Divorce Fire Sale many years ago, and I haven't replaced it. I think a Ruger Blackhawk will be my next M1C example, since I like enjoy illuminating hillsides at dusk so much--and my hearing is already shot, quite literally.

Trey45
12-07-2010, 03:08 PM
Al, I had a Blackhawk chambered in M1C, it's the loudest handgun I have ever owned or shot. Obnoxiously loud might be a good description of it. It will wake a firing line up at a public range.

zxcvbob
12-07-2010, 03:11 PM
Al, I had a Blackhawk chambered in M1C, it's the loudest handgun I have ever owned or shot. Obnoxiously loud might be a good description of it. It will wake a firing line up at a public range.

Isn't it great? :D

wallenba
12-07-2010, 03:17 PM
THANKS!! Now when I get sass for having too many rifles, I can show her this!

jimb16
12-13-2010, 09:09 PM
I've cut back on the carbines. I only have 14 now. My problem is that I only want the "rare" ones now. Other than my late Inland shooter, the most common one is an Un-Quality. The rest are lineouts......

MakeMineA10mm
12-13-2010, 10:18 PM
I've cut back on the carbines. I only have 14 now. My problem is that I only want the "rare" ones now. Other than my late Inland shooter, the most common one is an Un-Quality. The rest are lineouts......

Wow! Nice!

Pictures??? (Please??)

12-13-2010, 11:15 PM
Have one Inland left. Have had three over the years and all were superb. When a lot younger and much more foolhearty I emptied three twenty round mags into an overhanging hill from which someone had thrown a brick at my car. You could have heard a pin drop when the "music" stopped.

bbailey7821
12-13-2010, 11:38 PM
Captain,
I am exxxxtremely jealous! Good for you, though. I do have a 30 carbine...it was made in 1968 by Bill Ruger.

:drinks:

oldhickory
12-16-2010, 09:27 AM
I've had a few carbines over the years, but the one I have now is by far my favorite, an Underwood 10-42. It resides beside the bed with a loaded mag pouch on the stock...Just in case, and it's usually the long arm I choose for "ridge tramping". I have more accurate, powerful rifles that hold more ammo, but they're just not as handy as the carbine.

farmallcrew
12-18-2010, 03:18 PM
Nice collections guys!!!!! Im starting my higher end collection, all i have right now is M! Carbine Enforcer and a Springfield M1. The girlfriend says no more guns, but what she dont know wont hurt her. haha

captain-03
03-30-2011, 03:48 PM
The girlfriend says no more guns, but what she dont know wont hurt her. haha

My wife tried that many years back -- she decided it was not worth the problem caused each time she brought it up ... she has since learned to live with my addiction ... for the past 41 years!!

DanWalker
03-30-2011, 04:51 PM
I'd like to find a clunker and convert it to 45ACP.