PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Tried Stainless Steel Tumbling Media?

nicholst55
12-26-2009, 09:54 AM
No, I haven't had too much Christmas wine! ;) I saw this on Sniper's Hide, and it looks like it's the best thing since sliced bread. It requires a rotary tumbler, soap and water, and the media is fairly expensive. The upside is that the media literally lasts forever, and the brass looks like it's unfired inside and out when you're done!

Here's a link: http://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1494470&page=1

Scroll down the page until you see the post by 'suasponte,' about 1/4 of the way down page 1. Then about 2/3 of the way down he has videos of his procedure for separating brass and media.

Now I know what the next question is - where do I get the media? McMaster-Carr carries it, but it's like $50 a pound from them, 50-pound minimum order. I sent a couple of PMs to the original poster and another guy asking where to get the media, and I'm waiting for a reply. As soon as I know, I'll post details here.

buck1
12-26-2009, 10:29 AM
Thats interesting! But I must confess I have been useing and washing the same 10 LBS os wallnut media for about 10 years. It still seems to work just fine.
But that is tempting. A group buy may be in order??
Thanks for posting it...Buck

Shiloh
12-26-2009, 12:00 PM
My stainless media consists of rounds with a lip in the middle, wedge shapes, and wire rods with the ends clipped. It polishes nicely but the rods get stock in the flash holes. It is a hassle to shake out the media. Way too much work for me.

Probably work well with large pistol brass though. I did rifle brass.

I get fine results with corncob and Nu-Finish car polish

SHiloh

Catshooter
12-26-2009, 06:20 PM
nichols,

I too have followed that link to it's logical conclusion.

I have purchased all the goods needed to make it work, I just haven't tried it yet. I'll report in when I do.

Cat

nicholst55
12-26-2009, 08:40 PM
nichols,

I too have followed that link to it's logical conclusion.

I have purchased all the goods needed to make it work, I just haven't tried it yet. I'll report in when I do.

Cat

Where did you get your stainless steel media at, Cat?

docone31
12-26-2009, 09:00 PM
This is a reasonable place to start.
http://www.shorinternational.com/TumblingMedia.htm
You might try Ebay also.

Super38
12-27-2009, 10:00 AM
I guess in the end, what will SS do that the CC or walnut will not? To me, the price seems exceptionally high ($10/lb).

Thanks

Super38

Shiloh
12-27-2009, 11:22 AM
I guess in the end, what will SS do that the CC or walnut will not? To me, the price seems exceptionally high ($10/lb).

Thanks

Super38

Nothing.

I use corncob. Cases that have multiple firings and polishings, almost glow.
Stainless media is spendy but lasts forever. It will probably be too heavy for a vibratory tumbler. You'll probably have to scare up a rotary tumbler.

Shiloh

Super38
12-27-2009, 11:56 AM
Nothing.
It will probably be too heavy for a vibratory tumbler. You'll probably have to scare up a rotary tumbler.

Shiloh

I was wondering about the added weight and also about the metal on plastic tumbler. So it's a big trade-off, media lasts forever and tumbler last 6-months. Now I get it.

Super38

Bob Maerdian
12-27-2009, 06:50 PM
I've used ss media for easily 15 years. It does a great job cleaning and polishing brass. It is hard on the brass...it work hardens it. Aneal your brass when using ssmedia or you will get cracked necks.

It is particularily hard on .22 Hornet, 2R Lovell, 25-20 WCF,25-20 ss, 32-20 brass because it is so thin at the mouth.

Source for ss media... lapidary supplies (rock polisher or cutting).

Bob Maerdian

Catshooter
12-27-2009, 10:27 PM
Where did you get your stainless steel media at, Cat?

I read the thread at SnipersHide that you linked. Then I PMed the guy who said he had a source (I had to register, wasn't a member).

He hooked me up.

I don't know if it will replace corncob/walnut media or not, we'll see.

Cat

nicholst55
12-29-2009, 06:01 AM
I finally got the gentleman's contact info and prices; $33 (or so) for 5 pounds of media, plus another $13-14 for shipping. Spendy, but 5 pounds is a lifetime investment.

Why use it rather than corn cob, walnut shells, lizard litter, or whatever? Because at least in the photos that I've seen, it makes your brass look brand new, inside and out. I wouldn't plan on using this as my every-day tumbling media - just for really badly tarnished/stained/dirty brass.

Now I just wish that I already owned a rotary tumbler, like a Thumbler's Model B.

Anyone who is interested in the gent's contact info can PM or e-mail me for it.

longranger10
07-15-2010, 11:45 PM
Found another source for Stainless Media just google "Stainless Tumbling Media STM"

zuke
07-16-2010, 07:36 PM
Found another source for Stainless Media just google "Stainless Tumbling Media STM"

Can you post a link?

longranger10
07-17-2010, 12:04 PM
www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com Check them out!!

mister gizmo
07-18-2010, 08:09 AM
I worked in my uncle's factory 'way back in 1955 and his business was stamping out brass key blanks on a punch press. My summer job was polishing them to get the oil, dirt and tarnish off. What'd we use?

Tumbling in powdered soap and water in a rotary tumbler with millions of stainless steel BBs. Dry in corn cob. Always put a mirror finish on the brass.

However, because I often "tumble" 500 or more pistol or rifle cases at a time, I can't see investing in a super sized rotary machine and the 30 pounds or more of SS shot to do the job. My Dillon and PetSmart cruched walnut iguana media do a great job, quicker.