PDA

View Full Version : Hearing protection, behind the head

jhrosier
12-25-2009, 09:14 PM
I'm looking to find a good quality pair of earmuffs that go behind the head so that I can wear a hat while shooting.

I have borrowed a pair of Peltors but they are not doing the job very well.

http://media.midwayusa.com/ProductImages/Medium/150311.jpg

They don't seal well and tend to move around and let noise in when I try to get into position to shoot.

I haven't found much available and may have to go to disposable foam ear plugs if I can't find anything better. The foam plugs are comfortable. I have tried custom moulded silicone rubber earplugs but they irritate my ear canals after only a few minutes of use.

My old muffs were David Clark and they are among the best except that I am forced to were a baseball cap when shooting.

Jack

Calamity Jake
12-26-2009, 02:36 PM
Adjust your muffs for over the cap ware, I do it all the time.

Or

Have a pair of custom ear plugs made for your ears. I like them better than muffs.

About $30 in my part of the world.

BBA
12-27-2009, 09:42 AM
Plugs and muffs work best for me if wearing a cap. Try a pair of muff with gel in the ear cup. They seal better and adjust to uneven areas(rim of a cap).

jhrosier
12-27-2009, 09:51 AM
I'm looking to find a good quality pair of earmuffs that go behind the head so that I can wear a hat while shooting....

:coffee:

Jack

WILCO
12-27-2009, 10:08 AM
Ear plugs work for me.

Naphtali
12-27-2009, 01:33 PM
I suggest you read this information about ear protection.

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=60832

jhrosier
12-27-2009, 01:56 PM
Naphtali,

Thanks. Much good info.
Some of it contradicts what I learned years ago, esp. the part about bone conduction.
I was lead to believe that bone conduction plays a larger part in hearing damage, but then knowledge in all areas is refined over time.

Jack

Rocky Raab
12-27-2009, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the plug (pun most certainly intended) napthali!

Behind the head muffs don't seal as well as over the head muffs just because of the shape of most heads. Muffs in general don't seal well if you have hair, wear glasses or use them over a hat. Gel or liquid-filled muffs seals do work better, not only due to improved fit but because they add extra sound-deadening material.

Foam plugs are fine IF they are fully and properly inserted, are clean and are fresh enough to fully expand after insertion. Canal shape is also critical to how well a foam plug seals; some canals are simply not shaped to allow a good seal.

Custom molded plugs are the best possible protection because they do not have to expand to seal, they fit your canals perfectly, and they are made of vastly superior sound-deadening materials (or SHOULD be). But they MUST be both clean and worn fully inserted or they will not seal and will be painful. Very rarely, a person may be allergic to the particular material used, and a switch to another material will help. Custom plugs for shooting can be made of silicone, polyvinyl or other soft materials; hard materials are used for hearing aid use.

Edit to add: bone conduction is touted by muff makers for the simple reason that muffs cover part (but not all) of the mastoid bone. In truth, ANY skull bone transmits as effectively as the mastoid - and at worst, bone conduction accounts for only a very small percent of total sound transmission.

jhrosier
12-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Edit to add: bone conduction is touted by muff makers for the simple reason that muffs cover part (but not all) of the mastoid bone. In truth, ANY skull bone transmits as effectively as the mastoid - and at worst, bone conduction accounts for only a very small percent of total sound transmission.

Thanks for the info.
It makes me wonder what else that I learned in my youth is just plain wrong. Don't tell me all at once. It will be more fun finding something new every day.[smilie=l:

Jack

Rocky Raab
12-27-2009, 09:26 PM
It surely is; that's the way I learned it, too. Or UNlearned it ...