PDA

View Full Version : 44's from 40's

SWANEEDB
12-25-2009, 05:05 PM
Well to start off, 1'st pic is why I'm in the house, 2'nd is part of my play room, 3'rd is my helper Gus. I wish to thank all the forum members who have made this all possible for me to achieve, would not have done this without all the input, still have alot of trial & error to come up with a better finished boolit--sound like B T huh, thanks for all you do BT.
First of all I trimmed 40 cases to .762, used 40 cal lead boolits, 173gr, swaged them to make all uniform, set core in case and slightly pressed into case for uniformity, then to the swaging die, you see the end result and the variations. Avg boolit weight is about 239.5. The all steel Star crimpers are from old shotshell reloaders, don't remember the brands. I did not anneal the brass, bullet dia. is
.429, still have to do the cannalure thing but don't know if that will be nessesary or not as I use for the most part taper crimp dies. So, now on too the next one, 9mm for the 40. Any and all feed back is most certainly appreaciated. OH ya, I did break the piviot pin on my RCBS lV, the one that goes into the ram, just have to keep an eye on it so it doesn't fall out, will see if RCBS covers it. Dave

Pressman
12-25-2009, 06:17 PM
Dave looks good, the dogs life that is. We do not have as much snow as you do, he, he, he. Still had to stay home today, no travel up north.
By the way, thnaks again for the Modern Bond catalog at the DM gun show. It turned out to be a variation I did not have and that always makes me grin-ear to ear.
Ken

BT Sniper
12-25-2009, 07:49 PM
A white christmass for sure. Nice work on the bullets. Nice to see them posted without taking the pic myself.

I have shot these without the cannalure grove as well and also used a taper crimp die. Saw no problems. Making the the crimp grove by hand is a bit of a pain if you ask me. Still working on it though.

Again great work. Before you know it you will have a few thousand bullets made up.

Glad we could help.

Merry Christmas

BT Sniper

BT Sniper
12-25-2009, 07:58 PM
So how long before you can dig yourself out and go shoot some?

SWANEEDB
12-25-2009, 08:26 PM
So how long before you can dig yourself out and go shoot some?

Well, The season has only started. Will--hopefully--do some bullseye shooting at the indoor range next mo. Got a S & W mod 52 to do that job, Hey, you may be a neighbor to my daughter, she lives overlooking the river, forget the city at this moment.(CRS) A 1000, ha, maybe by next christmas, slow going but I plan on getting the parts together then put em together. Will be looking for some older presses so I can dedicate them and keep the dies set, a pain to reset and duplicate.

BT Sniper
12-25-2009, 10:02 PM
After everything is weighted and sorted with everything ready in frount of me I have been able to do 250 a night. That pushes it a bit for me and us usually for a customer. Just playing around it still doesn't take long.