PDA

View Full Version : New Blackhawks for Christmas!

kingstrider
12-25-2009, 12:54 PM
I must have been a good boy this year because I got this pair of Blackhawks for Christmas. The top one is a new Bisley .45 Convertible with the 5-1/2" barrel while the bottom one is a lightly used Super Blackhawk .44 with the 4-5/8" barrel. I'll probably take the .44 out this week but the .45 needs a little work first. Quality control must be going downhill at the Ruger plant because the basepin won't even lock into place and the cylinder throats are undersized, though that seems typical from what I hear. But I've wanted a stainless .45 convertible for a long time though so can deal with these minor problems. The barrel slugs out at .450 which is a little smaller than I anticipated, are there any mold suggestions for this beast?

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t138/kingstrider/blackhawks1.jpg

RayinNH
12-25-2009, 01:10 PM
Good for you. You'd be hard pressed to do better than 454190 or 454424 for the .45 Colt...Ray

bigboredad
12-25-2009, 02:18 PM
my favorite boolit out of my two convertible is lee's 340 grain rnf. It drops it at .457 and sizing it down to .452 is easier than one would think and the boolit is super accurate out of both and my srh in.454casull and my puma .454 casull you can start with 9 grains of unique and go up from there

yondering
12-25-2009, 05:02 PM
I'm jealous of that Bisley. That's a nice looking gun.
The undersized throats are a good thing, in a way, because you can ream them to work with whatever barrel dimensions your gun has.
The .450 groove diameter may be a result of a bore constriction, sometimes that happens where the barrel is threaded into the frame. Firelapping will fix that, after the throats have been correctly sized.

Changeling
12-25-2009, 05:10 PM
KingStrider, Don't knock the throats being to small, that's easy to fix, what would you do if they were to big, heck man you're LUCKY!

If you're interested there is a bullet that a lot of people seem to like "RCBS 255-45 SWC" mold on sale at Green Top for $54.00, that's about as cheap as you'll ever find it, Oh, the shipping is free also.

Bucks Owin
12-25-2009, 05:57 PM
Nice sixguns, you're a lucky boy alright! I doubt Ruger would ship a gun without it's basepin fitting properly and there's a reason for that "problem" you've encountered. Rather than go into a lengthy explanation, I'll just say it is covered thoroughly at the Ruger forum. Let us know how well they shoot! Merry Christmas amigo, Dennis (who believes Santa somehow got our address' mixed up! :D)

runfiverun
12-25-2009, 05:58 PM
you'll like those hogue grips.
if i could get pachmeyer presentation grips with that little filler they'd be awesome.
convertible you say?
did it come with another cylinder?
im in the market for a good heavy 45 colt revolver.

kingstrider
01-02-2010, 12:30 AM
The .450 groove diameter may be a result of a bore constriction, sometimes that happens where the barrel is threaded into the frame. Firelapping will fix that, after the throats have been correctly sized.
I understand the process but what is the method for doing this? Perhaps an abrasive paste of some sort? If you have further details or info I'd love to hear more..

If you're interested there is a bullet that a lot of people seem to like "RCBS 255-45 SWC" mold on sale at Green Top for $54.00, that's about as cheap as you'll ever find it, Oh, the shipping is free also.
I could not find this mold on their website, do you have a link?

Nice sixguns, you're a lucky boy alright! I doubt Ruger would ship a gun without it's basepin fitting properly and there's a reason for that "problem" you've encountered. Rather than go into a lengthy explanation, I'll just say it is covered thoroughly at the Ruger forum.
Yeah the reason was the total omission of the basepin latch spring! QC must really suck at Ruger these days, I called customer service and at least they offered to send this along with parts for a 77/22 to me at no charge.

convertible you say?
did it come with another cylinder?
im in the market for a good heavy 45 colt revolver.
Yeah this is one of the so-called "accusport" models and came with .45 Colt and .45 ACP cylinders. I'd hoped to shoot it this weekend but is unusable as the basepin won't even stay in place! Looking into adding a Belt Mountain pin on this one now..

Dale53
01-02-2010, 01:24 AM
I have recently become the proud owner of a Bisley .45 Colt convertible. Using the .45 ACP cylinder, mine shoots extremely well with the #68 H&G Clone by MiHec and also an original H&G #130. With the .45 Colt cylinder, my favored bullet is the NOE 454424 Keith SWC.

There are any number of good bullets available for the strong Ruger Blackhawk. I have a bunch of Lee C452-300-RF bullets cast lubed with GC's that are just waiting to be loaded for the "Bear Stompers".

FWIW
Dale53

peter nap
01-02-2010, 09:16 AM
I got a 44 SB for Christmas also.
It has the Hogue grips and I hate them. As soon as I can find a pair of origionals or make a pair, they're going in the junk drawer with another pair I got somewhere,

You'll love the convertible.

Catshooter
01-02-2010, 08:02 PM
Kingstrider,

You must have been a very good boy!

Cat

outdoorfan
01-02-2010, 09:30 PM
I understand the process but what is the method for doing this? Perhaps an abrasive paste of some sort? If you have further details or info I'd love to hear more..

BeartoothBullets has lots of good info on this. 280 & 320 grit Silicone Carbide (Clover brand only) at 500-600 fps with 12 bhn boolits. I did my .45 Colt BH Bisley a few months ago. PIA, but it's worth it.

Also, http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archive_tech_notes.htm/59 is a good read.