PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Familiar with the Iver Johnson Double?

fourarmed
12-25-2009, 11:57 AM
A cousin of mine has asked me to work over his old IJ ejector double barrel. Most of the work is routine, but he says the gun opens itself when firing heavy loads. I shot a light game load in it, and it did not open. The gun feels tight, but is worn enough that the top lever angles slightly to the left when closed. What is the cause and cure for a gun that opens itself?

The locking system on the IJ is a fore and aft bolt activated by the lever, that engages an extension of the barrel rib.

fourarmed
12-28-2009, 11:16 AM
I guess this is a stumper even in this august assemblage. Not surprised - it's the only one I have ever seen. Some of you guys must have seen "self opening" shotguns, though. How does it happen?

Mk42gunner
12-28-2009, 11:21 PM
My guess is either the locking bolt, the barrel itself, or both are worn. Maybe you could build up the surfaces and file them to the right size.

Robert

scb
12-29-2009, 05:11 PM
Could be a weak top lever spring. More likely worn/damaged (by hot loads) locking surfaces. I wouldn't shoot "heavy" loads thru it - get a mossberg 500 for that. If it's a "Skeeter" model they are becoming collectible.

KCSO
12-29-2009, 07:45 PM
You need a new spring on the locking bolt. Last one I did I had to hand forge, good luck.

Cactus Farmer
12-30-2009, 08:21 PM
Wolf? or someone makes blank springs for older shotguns. Maybe Dixie Gun Works. They need to be fitted but they work,I came into a set and used them all.

johnlaw484
01-03-2010, 10:57 AM
I have a single barrel IJ that locked up last fall when I shot a light game load at a squirrel. The gun locked up and will not cock or break open. I have not gotten to it yet, but would be highly interested in how you fixed it (when that happens).

I suspect the firing pin has penatrated the primer and stuck. The last one I had was a matter of pushing the firing pin back into the reciever to release the barrel.

johnlaw484
01-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Reference the IJ double. You a couple of issues to deal with. First the locking bolt , barrel or receiver are worn. Secondly, the top lever spring has been compromised.

peter nap
01-03-2010, 11:57 AM
All of the above plus the locking shelf may be worn.You may have to shim it.

Also, they should not have any lube on the shelf. That causes them to pop open with a weak spring.

fourarmed
01-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Thanks for all the replies. The top lever moves easier than I think it should, so I will try to find a stronger spring. Probably the locking surfaces can be built up. Would welding be best? How could shim stock be attached? Silver solder, or would Acra Glas hold?

peter nap
01-04-2010, 02:16 PM
Thanks for all the replies. The top lever moves easier than I think it should, so I will try to find a stronger spring. Probably the locking surfaces can be built up. Would welding be best? How could shim stock be attached? Silver solder, or would Acra Glas hold?

I use automotive feeler gauges and try them until I get it right. Then lightly run both with sand paper to rough it up, degrease and JB Weld it.

That's a standard practice for fitting barrels to Handi rifles.