PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about NM Blackhawks.

2ndAmendmentNut
12-24-2009, 11:35 PM
Are the NM Blackhawk convertibles in 45Colt safe for +P 45 loads?

Bullshop Junior
12-25-2009, 12:36 AM
You are Joking right???

What do you think? If you can't shoot them in a Ruger, what can you shoot them in? I load some hot stuff out of my Ruger 45 Colt.

In a lot of reloading manuals, they put the Ruger with the Contender.

MtGun44
12-25-2009, 01:06 AM
I think they are the primary reason that the +P loads have been developed.

Bill

2ndAmendmentNut
12-25-2009, 01:12 AM
Thanks guys I just wanted to be sure.

I own a NM Vaquero in 45colt, which I am very pleased with however this gun can not handle +P loads.

44man
12-25-2009, 10:00 AM
Thanks guys I just wanted to be sure.

I own a NM Vaquero in 45colt, which I am very pleased with however this gun can not handle +P loads.
That was a sad day when they changed the Vaquero for the cowboy crowd. Not that it is a bad gun but I wish they offered both the old and new models. I have the old one and it is bull strong. I shoot 335 and 347 gr boolits for deer. It is one of the best packing guns that can shoot a heavy enough load for any situation.
Thankfully they still make the BH.
I love Ruger's but hate the way they just drop models. The .480 is one, a great gun that should have just been changed to 5 shot and kept on the market.
But just watch, after turning a gun into a collectors item, they will bring it back in the future.

2ndAmendmentNut
12-25-2009, 10:21 AM
So the NM Blackhawks are every bit as strong as the OM Blackhawks. Right?

StarMetal
12-25-2009, 11:22 AM
In my opinion the new models are a tad stronger because the frames were all changed to the larger 44 mag frame when they went from the old model three screw to the new model. My original Old Model three screw 45 Colt with 4 5/8 barrel only weighs 38 ounces. You can see the difference in size between it and a new model.

Joe

Bass Ackward
12-25-2009, 08:24 PM
Better heat treatment too. Ruger had problems with that for years.

Dale53
12-25-2009, 08:43 PM
I consider my Ruger New Model Stainless Steel Black Hawk 5½" .45 Colt/.45 ACP one of the absolute best revolvers of all time. It DID need a bit of tuning (cylinders reamed and a trigger job) but is now "match accurate" and is a practical revolver in just about every way. Let's see, let's count the ways:

1 - Stainless Steel which is near ideal for a field pistol

2 - 5½" barrel, which along with a 4 5/8" barrel is a very "packable" length

3 - Chambered for two cartridges which have stood the test of time (the .45
Colt in the game fields and original cavalry use and manstopper, and the
.45 ACP, a premier target round as well as a certified manstopper and, also,
when properly loaded in the Ruger will work just fine in the field).

4 - Constructed to last several lifetimes if not abused.

5 - Last but certainly not least - it is affordable (if "Joe Everyman" has a job, he
can buy one).

I am NOT comparing this by caliber but just stating that this particular package has a lot to commend it. I have, use, and enjoy a great many different calibers and styles of revolvers, but this one is a DANDY. A great all around choice for the reloader and connoisseur of fine weapons.

FWIW
Dale53

jhrosier
12-25-2009, 09:01 PM

The original Ruger Vaquero Is a large frame, like the Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk and can handle the same (+P) loads.
The Ruger New Vaquero is a medium frame and is not suited for +P loads. It probably won't blow up but will definately get loose and out of time in short order.

All Ruger Vaqueros are new models. New models have pins rather than screws for the internal parts to pivot upon.

I'm not a grammar nazi, but this is one place where the right wording is important.

Jack

leadman
12-27-2009, 05:51 PM
The new 44 mag. flat top models are a smaller frame I believe? The cylinder is fluted also. I know there was an article in a gun mag about not using the heaviest loads in these.

MtGun44
12-27-2009, 06:31 PM
Yes, the .44 flat top 'commemorative' model is a smaller frame and not OK for
the super ++P loads that people expect the BH and SBH and RH to withstand.

Bill

Changeling
12-27-2009, 06:55 PM
I consider my Ruger New Model Stainless Steel Black Hawk 5½" .45 Colt/.45 ACP one of the absolute best revolvers of all time. It DID need a bit of tuning (cylinders reamed and a trigger job) but is now "match accurate" and is a practical revolver in just about every way. Let's see, let's count the ways:

1 - Stainless Steel which is near ideal for a field pistol

2 - 5½" barrel, which along with a 4 5/8" barrel is a very "packable" length

3 - Chambered for two cartridges which have stood the test of time (the .45
Colt in the game fields and original cavalry use and manstopper, and the
.45 ACP, a premier target round as well as a certified manstopper and, also,
when properly loaded in the Ruger will work just fine in the field).

4 - Constructed to last several lifetimes if not abused.

5 - Last but certainly not least - it is affordable (if "Joe Everyman" has a job, he
can buy one).

I am NOT comparing this by caliber but just stating that this particular package has a lot to commend it. I have, use, and enjoy a great many different calibers and styles of revolvers, but this one is a DANDY. A great all around choice for the reloader and connoisseur of fine weapons.

FWIW
Dale53

AWEEEEE Dale, welcome back from the dark side, LOL. I really liked what you had to say, all true. Before I came to this web site I thought about a lot of things, both general and "possibilities" type situations as to a new revolver. I wanted strength, accuracy, durability, just in case all hell does break loose, I wanted something I could depend on.
At first I thought I wanted a FA, but a lot of very good people on this web site led me in the right direction. God forbid there is nothing wrong with a FA (except price) but there were other things that started making more sense. Like in a chaotic or ever expensive world what/how would I get parts, I stopped right there and switched my efforts over to Ruger for the above reasons you sited.
EXCEPT one! I can load the Ruger Blackhawk with black powder if I had to, and there was hardly any powder available:( because of the vast capacity of the 45 LC case, but others may have a problem.

However, dam I wish I had a 45ACP case like yours has, LOL.

Char-Gar
12-27-2009, 07:02 PM
Whoa there 2nd. Ammendment. The NM Blackhawk and NM Vaquero are different critters. The Blackhawk can take some fierce loads and so could the original Vaquero which is the same size frame as the Blackhawk. Now, the NM Vaquero uses a much smaller frame and the firewall loads that were standard fodder for the NM Blackhawk and OM Vaquero should not be used in the NM Vaquero.

I know all of the OM and NM stuff can get confusing, but you better understand which is which before you turn a handgun into a grenade.

The NM Vaquero is the same size as the Colt SAA and the OM Blackhawk and is proably a little stronger than either due to better materials...but prudence suggest you should stick to loads safe in either Colt SAA or OM Blackhawk.

If you want to romp and stomp, get a NM Blackhawk.

jhrosier
12-27-2009, 08:43 PM
I know all of the OM and NM stuff can get confusing, but you better understand which is which .......

Good advise, did you read from post#10:

The original Ruger Vaquero Is a large frame, like the Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk and can handle the same (+P) loads.
The Ruger New Vaquero is a medium frame and is not suited for +P loads. It probably won't blow up but will definately get loose and out of time in short order.

All Ruger Vaqueros are new models. New models have pins rather than screws for the internal parts to pivot upon.

I'm not a grammar nazi, but this is one place where the right wording is important.

Jack

Dale53
12-28-2009, 12:56 AM
Yes, the .44 flat top 'commemorative' model is a smaller frame and not OK for
the super ++P loads that people expect the BH and SBH and RH to withstand.

Bill

This is absolutely NOT true. I have one of the 50th Anniversary .44 Magnum Flattops. It is the SAME frame size as the Super BlackHawk (not the same grip frame BUT the same FRAME size). It will handle anything that the Super Blacktop will.

The ORIGINAL .44 Magnum Flattop is NOT as strong as the later Super BlackHawk, BlackHawk, and .44 Magnum 50th Anniversary Flattop - the metallurgy is not up to par of the later ones. However, the new .44 Magnum Flattop is NOT weaker in any way.

The confusing elements in this situation is the new .44 Lipsey Special Flattop is the smaller frame and will NOT take .44 Magnum pressures nor was it intended to. It is chambered ONLY for the .44 Special. However, it WILL take the Elmer Keith .44 Special loads.

FWIW
Dale53