PDA

View Full Version : Forester case trimmer problem & ?

BOOM BOOM
12-24-2009, 09:48 PM
HI,
As I needed to trim 5,000 357 cases, I bought the forester power case trimmer that sits on a drill press.
It worked well for 5-600 cases, then the collet started to have problems.
Doing only WW cases, so case heads should be fairly uniform.
Colet fingers were not springing open , tapping on side with a pair of pliers worked for a short time, then tapping on side & bottom, then tapping on side & bottom & into Colet worked for short times. Even took it apart & reassembled worked for about 10 cases.
CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP?
I HAVE STRUGGLED THROUGH 1100 WW 357 CASES.
BUT I NEED TO GET THIS THING WORKING RIGHT QUICKLY.:confused:

MtGun44
12-24-2009, 10:15 PM
Just out of curiosity, why trim a .357 case? I have never trimmed any straight case
pistol brass.

I'd clean it up good, then grease the collet outside surface where it hits the
outer shell and see if that helps.

-------- LATER ----------

OK - ran across the trimming thread - I guess some think it is worth the effort.

Bill

BOOM BOOM
12-26-2009, 12:49 AM
HI,
Took it apart again , did a real good cleaning job & reassembled it. works fine now did about 1,000 federal 357 cases today.:grin:

Shiloh
12-26-2009, 12:25 PM
I don't trim straight walled cases anymore. I never had a problem with over max length cases in .38 or .357. I don't have a rifle that shoots those either.

Shiloh

sagamore-one
12-26-2009, 03:33 PM
Hi Guy......... untill the collet and chuck get a little wear on them you need to lube the contact surfaces between them with a small amount of grease or graphite. After they get well broken in they need minimal lube. I found out the hard way... I read the instructions.
I found it quicker to use the standard case trimmer and utilize a variable speed electric hand drill in place of the crank.

Bucks Owin
12-26-2009, 04:30 PM
The reason for trimming cases occasionally is not just to be sure they are not over maximum length, although that is important. If you don't have uniform length, you don't have uniform crimps. If you don't have uniform crimps, your ammo isn't as accurate as it could be. This is not "Advanced Precision Reloading 101", this is pretty basic stuff...... Dennis :neutral: (Oh yeah, the trimmer. Sounds like it just needs a little lube now and then and the brass cuttings cleaned away sometimes? Just a thought...)

Longrange
12-26-2009, 04:43 PM
Bucks Owin,

I am with you I trim all my brass to get a good uniform crimp. It is all about uniformity.

:coffee:

Bullshop Junior
12-27-2009, 12:36 AM
Just out of curiosity, why trim a .357 case? I have never trimmed any straight case
pistol brass.

I'd clean it up good, then grease the collet outside surface where it hits the
outer shell and see if that helps.

-------- LATER ----------

OK - ran across the trimming thread - I guess some think it is worth the effort.

Bill
They strech.

MtGun44
12-27-2009, 06:57 PM
I don't think straight case brass stretches.

Bill

jandbn
12-28-2009, 12:55 AM
I don't think straight case brass stretches.

Bill

Funny you should mention that as I was just measuring mine last night for something to do. My New Starline .45 Colt "neck sized" brass actually got shorter by .003-.004 when fired the first time. My guess is that it is due to expansion to fit the oversized chamber.

missionary5155
12-28-2009, 06:39 AM
Good morning
I shoot much more 41 mag than anything. My 41's will stretch (All makers) IF I full length size. I no longer do that. I segregated brass to a certain revolver and only neck size to whatever boolit length I need. Case stretching was reduced to the point I do not think about it until I see there is a variation in one of the cases then I check the "Batch" and that batch gets the treatment.
I may need more brass this way but I buy it from Starline in the BIG box and happily go on.
I trust God Blesses you this coming New Year.