PDA

View Full Version : case trimmer problem, help

BOOM BOOM
12-24-2009, 09:33 PM
HI,
I have a forester case trimmer. just bought it this year, worked great for about 5-600 cases. Drill press type.
But now the collet is often not springing open to release the case head, or to permit the insersion of a new case. And so can not tighten it to properly grip the case head.
tapping the side, then the side & bottom , then the side bottom & top worked for a while. taking it apart & reassembling worked a little for a short time.
Some of the 357 ww cases rims may be bigger, or the collet fingers just are not gripping anymore.
CAN ANYONE SUGGEST A QUICK FIX??????

cheese1566
12-24-2009, 09:53 PM
Disassemble, wipe parts clean and dry, check for brass shavings smeared inside, lube the outside of collet with dry graphite, reassemble and try.

If not, mail it to me for X-mas!! Ho, ho, ho!!!!

Mk42gunner
12-24-2009, 10:37 PM
Sounds to me like a piece of brass or something has gotten stuck between the fingers of the collet, preventing it from closing properly.

Robert

Shiloh
12-25-2009, 01:06 PM
Clean it.

Polish out any rough or abraided areas, lube with light oil, and it should be fine.
Let us know how it goes.

Shiloh

BOOM BOOM
12-26-2009, 12:25 AM
HI,
Took it apart again, brushed it down with a toothbrush, followed up w/ a wire brush, then a dental pick to all slots & gripping steps. Lubed threads & inside. reassembled. And now it is working great, did about 1,000 federal 357 cases today.
thanks for the suggestions.[smilie=w: