PDA

View Full Version : Savage 23B 25-20 Rear Sight??

Marvin S
12-24-2009, 09:12 PM
I just got one of these and was wondering if there is a peep sight that is still in production that will fit the two small factory holes on the rear of the receiver? Or does anyone have a picture of an original one so I know what to look for.

rickster
12-25-2009, 12:11 AM
If you mean the side holes I have a Sporter (pre 23) that has a little receiver sight on it. I was told it is a Redfield #11, but have not been able to confirm it.

If you mean the holes on top, check out this thread, 3rd post from the end. http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/3088581/Searchpage/2/Main/243762/Words/sporter/Search/true/Model_19_and_23_sight_infomati#Post3088581

oksmle
12-25-2009, 01:08 AM
Marvin S .... If those two little holes are the same as my Springfield 840, they are for a receiver sight. I believe it was made by Marble & had a number like T-57 or T-54. Many years ago I just missed out in acquiring the last one that Numerich Arms had in stock. I have attempted locating one via the internet, but since I'm unsure of the maker & model number I haven't had any success.

Marvin S
12-25-2009, 11:02 AM
I will check the thread, but it is the two factory ones that are about an inch apart right on top. They are two different sizes. Thanks guys.

Marvin S
12-25-2009, 11:40 AM
Thanks rickster, that gives me a good idea. They are probalby like hens teeth. I read on another place that says Savage #5,#10 or NRA-15. Then Savage #21B and also a Lyman #48Y. But no pictures to convince me. I can see on the NRA 1919 and the later #19 where they would use the early single screw and then the later double screw.

rickster
12-25-2009, 12:01 PM
I have been watching Sporters on the auctions sites for a few years. I dont remember ever having seen one for sale with a top mounted peep.

I sometimes see similar ones for sale on Winchester 69s.

Since I need a peep sight to shoot well, so for my second Sporter I adapted and old receiver sight that I got off Ebay for $25. I works great.

Marvin S
12-25-2009, 12:32 PM
Can you show me what you done to do this. I dont want to alter the gun and really need the peep.

Eutectic
12-25-2009, 02:42 PM
Marvin S,

If you can find it.... this is the sight! Lyman receiver sights are the best out there. Here's a picture to help you out.

Eutectic

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Lyman_48Y.jpg

Marvin S
12-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Hell at 13 bucks Ill take 20 of em. Seriously though thanks guys just something else to look for.I did see one of the NRA #19s on gun broker it only went for about 150 green backs.

rickster
12-25-2009, 06:40 PM
Here are some pics. If you look close you will see a spacer between the sight and the receiver. This is necessary to center the sight over the barrel and match up the curvatures. The sight is designed for a larger diameter receiver. The spacer also negates some wood trimming. The spacer is epoxied to the receiver and the sight is screwed to the spacer, because the holes in the sight don't quite align with the holes in the receiver.

I also included a pic of the sight that came on my first Sporter.

Brithunter
12-28-2009, 05:50 AM
May I suggest you haunt e-bay for a while as they do come up on there from time to time. For reasonable amounts too. I saw one just the other day whilst looking for a reciever sight it was a redfield if I recall correctly. Hope that helps.

Bret4207
12-28-2009, 08:37 AM
Yup. Ebay is the best place I know of to find stuff like that.

Boy I was they still made those rifles, I still need a Hornet to round out my collection.

doubs43
12-28-2009, 12:45 PM
Yup. Ebay is the best place I know of to find stuff like that.

Boy I was they still made those rifles, I still need a Hornet to round out my collection.

My father bought a new Savage Model 23B in 25-20 in 1932 (IIRC). He mounted a Lyman Model 238 3X scope on it and many, many groundhogs were sent to that big field of clover in the sky. Pop preferred the 60 grain HP bullet but apparently most people liked the heavier 86 grain bullet for deer and the 60 grain loading went away. The rifle was accurate and good for 125-150 yard shots in my father's hands.

However, the 22 Hornet was introduced the year after he bought the 25-20 and he often said he would have waited for the Hornet had he known. The rifle is still in the family and in 95-98% condition. Sadly, it's not mine! I do, however, have a 23A in 22LR and it shoots very nicely.

Catshooter
12-30-2009, 10:44 PM
Nice pic Eutectic! Thanks.

There are two tapped holes to mount that sight with, a 10x32 and (hold onto yer socks) a 5x36. Good luck finding a screw to fit that one. The holes are 1.1 inches apart.

I can tell you that a 5x40 tap will go in and clean up nicely that 5x36 problem, and 40 thread per inch screws are much easier to find.

Cat

Marvin S
12-30-2009, 10:57 PM
Ill be keepin my eyes peeled for one. Thanks for the info guys.

doubs43
12-31-2009, 03:03 AM
According to Nick Stroebel, author of "Old Gunsights", the Savage 23B (along with the AA, A, C & D) came standard with a #22B Rocky Mountain front sight and Savage #20 S.R. Flat Top rear sight. Optional sights that could be had were:

Front: Savage #29 gold bead for the 23D Hornet
Savage #28 white metal bead
Lyman #3 ivory bead (Savage #3B)
Lyman #4 ivory hunting sight (Savage #4B)
Lyman #5 combination front sight (Savage #5B)
Marble-Sheard gold bead front sight (Savage #9B)

Rear: Savage #21B micrometer rear sight
Savage #21S
Savage #10 NRA receiver sight
Savage #5 NRA receiver sight
Savage #15 NRA extension rear sight
Lyman #48Y receiver sight
Lyman #6 folding leaf rear sight (Savage #6B)

Marvin S
01-21-2010, 08:40 PM
I was bidding on nice looking rear sight on ebay and it ended at a staggering $162.50. No I did not get it, all I said was Holly S#$t when the auction ended.

Bret4207
01-22-2010, 09:32 AM
Know what you mean Marv. Other than a few books and some small engine/chainsaw parts I haven't got anything off Ebay in a couple years. Even the older woolen clothes I sometimes buy are going up, or rather, our dollar is about worthless- but that's for another discussion.

Multigunner
02-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Nice to see that a few others are enjoying ownership of the 23B. I picked up mine almost by accident and got it at about half the present day value because I was going by the price quoted by an put of date source.
Then to top it off while cleaning it up I found that a previous owner had painted the metal parts with a black laquer, I suppose due to hunting in wet conditions.
After cleaning away the remaining shreds of paint I found the original bluing to be perfectly preserved.
The bore looks like its had no more than a hundred rounds through it if that, if I hadn't fired it myself before buying I'd have thought it unfired.
Only a few tiny handling marks to mar what looks to be the original stock finish.

I have to say this is the best buy money wise, and certainly condition wise, that I've ever made on a rifle.

The entire design philosophy of these rifles is such a departure from any modern rifle I just love looking at it and handling it.

First time I shot it hit dead center as if I'd sighted it in myself, and every following shot went through the same hole at fifty yards. No muss no fuss no fiddling around. Just shoot it and clean it.

I mulled over adding a scope or peep sight but decided that it just shoots too good as is to make any alteration. Its like the rifle had been made especially for me at the factory and just found its way too me.

buckndee
02-18-2010, 01:51 PM
Run a 6x48 tap through the 5x36 screw hole and use readily available 6x48 screws. It does not modify the gun visibly and makes sight mounting pain free.

I have mounted one piece Weaver scope bases buy using an existing hole in the Weaver mount with a 6x48 screw and drilling and counter sinking a hole in an appropriate location for a 10x32 flat head screw. Minor modification to the gun that does not distract from its potential collector value and enhances its shoot-ability.