PDA

View Full Version : casting equipment

tom barthel
05-23-2006, 10:32 PM
I'm considering a new pot. I have a little lee 4-10 bottom pour pot. I'm thinking a Lee pro 20 or a pro 4-20 pot. Both are bottom pour. The catalog picture indicates plenty of room for molds with the pro 20. The pro 4-20 has more than enough room (4 inches) for molds. My next melting pot will probably be my last. I need to make the right choice.
Thanks
Tom:confused:

454PB
05-23-2006, 11:17 PM
I have the Lee pro 20-4 and have cast many thousands of boolits with it. I also have two of the Lee 10 pounders, one is about 30 years old and still works fine.

I'd buy another in a heartbeat....but I think these will outlast me!

JeffinNZ
05-24-2006, 12:19 AM
I use a long suffering Lee 10lber and a Lyman 20lber. I used the 10lber exclusively until I bought the 20lber 2nd hand and now run the 20lber as primary with sprues and rejects going into the 10lb for topping up. Saves down time.

Dale53
05-24-2006, 12:26 AM
Get the Lee Pro 20-4 (it has more room under the spout - you will need that sooner or later).

FWIW
Dale53

tom barthel
05-24-2006, 07:39 PM
I think I will go ahead and get the Lee pro 4-20 pot and fine a good source of wheelweights. I may even find or make something to put the pot on. I've been doing all my casting on the brick patio floor. It's a back killer. What ever sort of stand I get, it will have to be easy to dismantle and bring inside. I'm thinking of metal shelving on a wide base.

I hate thinking. It usually gets me in trouble.

Thanks for the advice guys. Your advice means a lot to me and I appreciate it.

Tom

redneckdan
05-24-2006, 08:48 PM
i recommend casting in the standing position. I find it to be much more comfortable. Plus its easier to beat feet when the fecal matter hits the rotational air handling unit, IE water in the pot.:roll:

Springfield
05-25-2006, 03:37 AM
If you plan on your next pot being your last then do it right and get an RCBS 22 pounder. Plenty of room underneath, has an adjustable mould holder, more wattage than a Lee and has a real thermostat that measures the temp of the lead pot, not the temp in the little tower next to the pot. I have 3 LEE pots and I use them for melting pure lead for C&B balls and also for melting lead to refill the RCBS when it runs out when using a 6 ganger mould. Putting in cold ingots messes up my constant temperature. Plus the RCBS doesn't drip, drip, drip like my Lee's.

largecaliberman
05-25-2006, 03:17 PM
You can use two pots at the same time, once you got one going, you can use the other one once the first is empty. Drop in your new alloy onto the first and go to the second pot. By that time (depending how fast you cast) the first one should be ready. By having two, you would greatly reduce down time.