PDA

View Full Version : WW2 9mm ammo???

Pistolero
12-24-2009, 04:50 AM
Hello all and a Merry christmas....:Fire:

I have some WW2 9mm ammo - date marked 1944, and was wanting to give it a try in my Glock 34. :confused:

Will it still be good to shoot?? or would i be better off just throwing my glock in the trash now??

Any a you guys tried WW2 surplus pistol ammo? Would I be correct in assuming WW2 pistol ammo was loaded with sub machine guns in mind?:-?

Also have a box of German WW1 9mm cartridges marked 1916. might not try those.....

All the best!!:castmine:

m.chalmers
12-24-2009, 07:58 AM
German WWI ammo, well you can shoot it. But it is worth $$$$ to ammo collectors. Hell, the empty box can be worth over $40.

Now, the ammo (1916 and 1944) is corrosive as hell. That means the weapon needs to be cleaned (right after shooting, ie: that day!!! ) with hot soapy water, then dried and cleaned and oiled.

My 2¢, sell or give the ammo to a collector.

I thought handguns are a no no in Australia?

ATB

Pistolero
12-24-2009, 07:38 PM
That is a good idea..............might keep them for history's sake, and maybe try make a few bucks on the German WW1 ammo.

We are still allowed (only just) to own handguns here. The process involved is so complicated I won't try and explain. Pistol shooters are allowed to own handguns for specific purposes only ie; we must nominate which competetions we will participate in and no fewer that 10 a year on 10 separate days.

We are restricted to calibres under .38 or 9mm. 10 shot mags only for autos. Collectors can own whatever they want (subject to application) but are NOT allowed to shoot them!!!

If a shooter does not meet the requirements of his/her licence then the authorities will take your guns and ban you from owning any more for 12 months. It has happened many times.

Took me 18 months to get through the red tape and get my handgun licence. No second ammendment here!

Quite often I dream of life in the USA..................

doubs43
12-24-2009, 08:00 PM
You don't say who made the WW2 ammo. If it was Winchester, it's not corrosive. If it's foreign made, it's almost certain to be corrosive.

The non-corrosive Winchester 9mm was sold about 1960 by "Ye Olde Hunter" (Interarmco) for $5 a hundred and foreign corrosive ammo at $4 a hundred. I shot a lot of the Winchester 9mm.

Shiloh
12-24-2009, 08:49 PM
You don't say who made the WW2 ammo. If it was Winchester, it's not corrosive. If it's foreign made, it's almost certain to be corrosive.

Correct. Surplus foreign ammo is corrosive.

I have a P-38 with a bore that looks like a sewer pipe. Another victim of corrosive primed ammo without proper cleaning and maintenance.

Shiloh

NickSS
12-24-2009, 08:55 PM
If the ammo was made in germany of for the german army it was non-corrocive as was all german ammo from WW I on. Same with the swiss ammo. Brits and US ammo was corrosive Until early 1950s except for 30 carbine which was always non-corrosive. I have shot lots of WWII vintage 45 ACP and 30-06 that was corrosive and never thought anything about is. I always used Hoppes #9 to clean them and Hoppes #9 solvent is fore corrosive ammo (it says so right on the bottle). I have used that stuff for about 45 years and never had a problem with corrosive ammo.

Newtire
12-27-2009, 10:11 PM
:cry:A guy gave me a box of 9mm in a box with blue sky and mountains and swastikas of WWII era and we shot it and it all went off real good and we just threw away the box like idiots. Just like all those old shotshell boxes...damn!

doubs43
12-27-2009, 11:39 PM
If the ammo was made in germany of for the german army it was non-corrocive as was all german ammo from WW I on.

Do you have a reference to support that information? I'm doubtful that it's correct.