PDA

View Full Version : 7.62x25

jballs918
05-23-2006, 05:29 PM
hey guys just wondering if there was a bullet for this. im looking into maybe getting one i looked at the shells prices they are not to bad. thanks guys

9.3X62AL
05-23-2006, 06:00 PM
I have used the Lee 100 grain RN and Lyman #313249 for most of my cast boolit work in this caliber. The dinky little neck does weird things--roll crimping can cause what's left of the case neck to bow outward and loosen the neck's grip on the boolit. Also, once the boolit base seats deeper than the neck/shoulder junction, it can cause bullets/boolits to "telescope" on feedramp contact--unless a good crimp is stabilizing the boolit.

With castings, I usually roll crimp lightly when seating the boolit, then follow up with a sort of low-rent taper crimp about 1/3 the way down the case mouth, using the sizer die. I have had better luck with Starline cases than with Fiocchi or reformed W-W 9mm Magnum cases. In 1990 when I started with this caliber, the latter two makes were all that was out there.

The great fun I've had with this caliber has prevented me from trying the 357 SIG in my 40 S&W pistol, and will likely continue to do so.

StarMetal
05-23-2006, 07:21 PM
Deputy Al certainly has alot of experience with that Lee bullet and those 7.62x25 and so do I. One thing I do different then Al is I have a Lee factory crimp die for the 7.62x25 and 30 Luger and it puts a very good firm crimp on the mouth and does bell out the case mouth or nothing. I had mentioned this to Al in a pm one time or another.

That Lee 100 RN is a good bullet, but if you go to the thread Mould Maintenace ,Repar etc and look for Attention Deputy Al: 30 Luger you'll see a thread I started about the bullet I designed and made a mould for it. It'a 100 gr Truncated Cone Nose bullet with a single lube groove. I feel it's a better bullet for these small 30 bores, at least for hunting with it's wide flat nose.

Joe

9.3X62AL
05-24-2006, 12:03 AM
Joe is being modest to the point of inaccuracy--I have samples of the 100 grain TC boolit he cut the mold for, and it is a winner. I meant to take these with me to NCBS, but they got left behind in my haste to depart after a fun-filled week of case prep and related nonsense. Joe also has an 84 grain TC design that would work in either the 30 Mauser or 30 Luger, as well as the 32 ACP and in my 7.65 MAS. I think it might be a better all-around weight for a wider range of 30/32 stutterguns.

I think either of these designs would be a great candidate for a Group Buy Lee 6-banger.

Joe--have you pulled any bullets from the W-W white box 7.62 x 25 ammo? There's an interesting design quirk on that j-word that would be very useful if placed on your 84 grainer--that being a very low groove placement that lets the bullet base seat right at the neck/shoulder junction while allowing the top edge of the groove to be used as a crimp "shelf" to support the bullet against feedramp contact. With your boolit, the groove could be used as lube and crimp groove at the same time--a thing I do with the Lee and Lyman designs listed previously.

StarMetal
05-24-2006, 04:06 PM
Thanks for those kind words Deputy Al. Fact is these small 30 bores are real men pistols...and most these fellows here shoot those gawd awful big howitzers, both smokeless and BP. :veryconfu Seems we can't get anyone interested even if the mould included the pistol.

Finally got some Winchester small primers. I told the fellow at Wideners about how the Remingtons I had were real real soft and two pistols were cutting donuts out of the primer and he said he's listened to alot of reports of that from alot of other shooters. I asked him why he seems to run out of Winchester primer and is slow getting them in. He said Winchester revamp and dropped all but their larger distributors, so in puts a crimp in trying to get Winchesters.

So anyways you closet smallbore pistol shooters come out and see the light and shoot some new cast bullets out of those fun guns :Fire:

Joe

jballs918
05-24-2006, 04:13 PM
i fouund a few one classic arms that where chomed. and i like it yah 200 bucks my be a bit steep but its have to find a old gun that looks that nice. normally im not a bling man but i think it looks pretty sharp for its age

9.3X62AL
05-24-2006, 04:20 PM
Is the pistol a Tokarev, a CZ-52, or ? Some of the Soviet satellite countries and the ChiCom cadres made some pistols in this caliber that are seldom seen in the West, but are all over Central Europe and Asia.

jballs918
05-24-2006, 04:42 PM
the old cz-52

crazy mark
05-24-2006, 11:50 PM
I have found the Lyman's 313249, 313226 and 313445 along with the RCBS 32-77 and 32-84 shoot fine in my polish TT-33 and Norinco 213 That has both the 7.62 and 9mm barrels. Still working up loads that will drop the brass at or close to my feet. Trying to keep from throwing brass all over the place. Mark

StarMetal
05-24-2006, 11:56 PM
I don't mess with those factory moulds, I made my own. Here'a s picture of my TC nose one for the 32acp the other for the 30 Luger and 7.62x25.

Joe

waksupi
05-25-2006, 12:23 AM
Looking good, Joe.