PDA

View Full Version : Scope mounting question

Longone
12-23-2009, 08:15 PM
I have a sporterized 03-A3 with iron sights and I want to mount a scope. It is set up for the Unertl type scope with the front ring on the receiver drilled and tapped with a scope block on it and the barrel drilled and tapped with a scope block. Problem is the spacing is waaaaaay to long for a conventional scope, and I can't see paying $600 to put a Unertl or similar scope back on it. Does anyone make a mount that can bridge the two blocks and provide a base to mount a scope? I enjoy shooting the gun but the iron sights are for someone with much younger eyes.

Longone

JIMinPHX
12-23-2009, 10:36 PM
A buddy of mine was talking about selling his Unertl the last time that I spoke to him. If you change your mind & decide that you might want to go that way, let me know & I will give him a call to see if he still has it.

Longone
12-23-2009, 10:46 PM
What kind of number are we talking?

LG

Hardcast416taylor
12-23-2009, 11:44 PM
I`ve got an S&K insta mount for an 03A3 if you`re interested in a more modest cost mount. PM me.Robert

Longone
12-24-2009, 07:15 AM
That's part of the problem, the rear ring was milled flat to allow for rear iron sight travel. Front sight is a Lyman 17.

LG

JIMinPHX
12-24-2009, 12:15 PM
What kind of number are we talking?

LG

I'll give him a call & find out.

Larry Gibson
12-24-2009, 02:36 PM
Normally a Weaver base for the '03 fits the hole spacing for the base on the front ring. It shouldn't be too hard to find or fit another Weaver base of the right height to the rear reciever ring. A regular scope will then fit in Weaver style rings. You probably are also looking at having the bolt handle forged or another welded on to clear the scope.

Larry Gibson

jgaynor
12-26-2009, 11:22 PM
If i understand correctly the male dove tail for the 03-A3 rear sight was milled off the receiver bridge.

Just have a gunsmith silver solder on a replacement piece of stock and drill and tap for the one or two piece mount of your choice (Redfield, Leupold, Weaver......)

Leave the barrel block for the unertl in place or remove it an put a couple of plug screws in.

Regards.

Jim

JIMinPHX
12-29-2009, 04:45 PM
My friend got back to me today. He still has his Unertl for sale, but he wants $550 for it. Apparently, those things ain't cheap. He says it's a 10X 1 inch. It has the external adjustable ring mounts.

Longone
12-29-2009, 05:26 PM
Robert,
Thank you for your effort. Your right, "those things ain't cheap" but thanks to Hardcast I'm going to buy the mount he has and see what can be done to secure the rear portion where the dove tail once was.
Thanks to all for your help.

Longone

c3d4b2
01-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Here is an external adjusted Tasco scope. They have a respectable reputation, but I am unaware if anyone works on them. The price is a little high, but it would not hurt to make an offer. The worst that can happen is they can say no.

http://www.benchrest.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?db=bbboptics&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=4836&query=retrieval

Char-Gar
01-02-2010, 10:22 PM
Having the rear receiver ring milled flat is not the kiss of death to mounting a scope in the traditional way with bases on the front and rear rings. All it takes is a flat bottom rear mount and a riser block to lift the base to the original height and you are in business. It is an easy task for the home gunsmith once the proper height has been established.

I have taken the rear sight dovetail off serveral 03A3s to give the Lyman 48 receiver sight more travel.

pietro
01-05-2010, 09:59 PM
IIRC, B-Square makes, or used to make, a "No Gunsmithing" scope mount for the US Springfield rifles, that (I think) utilized the magazine cutoff/bolt release as it's base.