PDA

View Full Version : M1 Carbine?

Uncle R.
05-23-2006, 03:00 PM
Hi all:
I took #1 son (ten years old) to the range yesterday and let him shoot the DCM Winchester carbine that I inherited from his grandpa. It proved a fun time and a practical choice since that carbine stock fits him pretty well. The blast and kick of the carbine doesn't seem like a big deal to an experienced shooter but to a ten-year-old it's a flamin' monster elephant gun and pretty exciting to shoot. (Grin!) It only increased the mystique when I told him that his grandpa sometimes carried a gun exactly like it in the Korean war, and that his uncle Mike killed TWO nice whitetail bucks with this very gun. It was ever so much better in his eyes than the "little Buckaroo" that I gave him when he was six while mama rolled her eyes and muttered to herself.
:) :-D
He did pretty well and kept most of them on the paper at 100 while resting the forend on a stack of bags and his elbows on the bench. Yeah, yeah - but he's TEN and I've been shamefully negligent in his training to this point. Since the carbine doesn't lock open empty I watched him squeeze on an empty chamber a few times with no sign of flinching. VERY encouraging.
Anyway, I'd like to do some serious training, get him off of the bench and into positions, and that carbine seems like a good candidate. There are two problems - hundreds (thousands?) of j-bullets are gonna cost serious dough, and the gun shoots closer to minute-of-paper-plate than MOA.
Any tips for squeezing better accuracy from a GI carbine? Any tips on doing it with cast?
Thanks!

Bodydoc447
05-23-2006, 04:25 PM
buy surplus WC820 and a Lee soup can mold for the 113 gr GC. That'll keep the costs down a bit. Lots of loading data floating around for WC820 and the carbine from whence it came (at least with j-bullets). Many folks much more experienced than I can give specifics but there are a couple of other Lee .30 cal moulds that ought to fit the bill if the "soup can" doesn't strike your fancy.

Congrats on getting the boy shooting. Mine (a 9 year old) is still intimidated by muzzle blast so I am trying to work up a load with a cast boolit for the .22 Hornet. He asked me the other day if I hadn't better cast a few more than were in the quench bucket.

Good luck,
Doc

versifier
05-23-2006, 10:14 PM
Search on it here and you will find lots of good info on loads and foibles of the M1 Carbine and it's fodder. The Soupcan is a good boolit to start with and a good performer with other .30cal rounds, too.

beagle
05-23-2006, 10:33 PM
WC820 and a Lyman 3118/311008 sized to .310" and the nose bumped slightly with a RN TP so it will feed makes one of the best little carbine plinking loads ever.

It's even better when it's hP'd for varmints.

You can cast an load all week and shoot your product up in a few minutes. BUt, it's fun./beagle