PDA

View Full Version : lubesizer heigth clearance

Faret
12-23-2009, 12:37 PM
Which sizer will take the tallest bullet. Will need almost 2". Can you guys give me measurements of the ones you own. Looking at rcbs and lyman 4500.

Thanks

ReloaderFred
12-23-2009, 01:55 PM
Off the top of my head, you'll get more clearance from the SAECO sizer. I'll go measure my Lyman, RCBS, SAECO and Star sizers and see which one offers the most room.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Bent Ramrod
12-23-2009, 09:22 PM
My Ideal #45s and my Lachmiller (which I think is the same as the RCBS) are about 1-1/2" from top punch to base that holds the H&I die. Shortening the top punch or slipping the boolit into the die opening at an angle and then straightening it up might get you 2", but something like that would be needed.

ReloaderFred
12-24-2009, 12:26 AM
I measured the openings for my lubrisizers. Here are the measurements with a top punch in place and sizing die installed:

Star = 1.250"
RCBS = 1.375"
SAECO= 1.250"
Lyman 450 = 1.3125"

These are straight measurements, and as Bent Ramrod noted, you might be able to get a slightly longer bullet into them by shortening a top punch and wiggling the bullet into place, but getting 2" from any of these machines is probably asking too much from them.

You didn't mention what caliber of bullet you're trying to lube. It may be necessary to hand lube your bullets and then push them through something like a Lee sizer to get the finished diameter.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Faret
12-24-2009, 10:37 AM
This is for a 50 bmg bullet. I may end up sizing in a lee opened up .510 die. Modifing a lyman 45 and lubing with that.

Thanks for the help

lathesmith
12-24-2009, 02:12 PM
I may end up sizing in a lee opened up .510 die. Modifing a lyman 45 and lubing with that.

That sounds like the best idea; trying to size a 700+grain, 2-inch long hard slug is asking way too much from a Lyman, RCBS, Saeco, or Star. An arbor press or heavy O-frame should work fine for sizing. Applying lube should be doable in the sizer, as Fred says you can always use a very short punch to get the slug going in the die.

lathesmith

Springfield
12-24-2009, 03:11 PM
Technically with a Star the length doesn't matter as the end of the bullet will just poke out the bottom. You don't lube the whole length of the bullet, just need it to stop at the right place for the lube groove to line up. And as long as you aren't running a real hard alloy and aren't sizing down more than a thou or two I'm pretty sure the Star can handle it. I have on occasion sized down some .454 bullets to .429, although I do run a soft alloy for BP. Spraying the bullets with case lube before sizing will help things considerably.