PDA

View Full Version : trail boss in 7.62x39

acsteve
12-23-2009, 11:29 AM
Just picked up the Hornady reloading magazine. Glad to see that they suggested 70-100% of uncompressed case capacity as a guideline. So, anyone have experience using TB with the little russian cartridge, with a 12Xgrain Cast? Anyone try anysort of HP Jacketed intended for the 32H&R? thanks

leadloader
12-10-2010, 05:07 PM
i have just picked up 9oz of trail boss today and looking for data myself.... will keep you updated if i find anything...

DukeInFlorida
12-24-2010, 09:42 AM
See the newer thread on the subject of Trail Boss usage.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=82973

That should get you to where you want to get to.

turbo1889
01-02-2011, 11:15 PM
With the weight of bullet you are talking about just fill up the case. Don't compress the load though; you basically want 99-100% fill but not more. The base of the boolit should just kiss the top of the powder in the case. Such a load will not work the semi-auto action on my SKS (even with slightly heavier boolit weights) but makes a good plinking load when I work the action manually.

Fishman
01-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Just picked up the Hornady reloading magazine. Glad to see that they suggested 70-100% of uncompressed case capacity as a guideline. So, anyone have experience using TB with the little russian cartridge, with a 12Xgrain Cast? Anyone try anysort of HP Jacketed intended for the 32H&R? thanks

A while back I used unique to put together a load with the Sierra 85 gr hp that worked very well. I don't remember the charge unfortunately. I do know that it was minute of can accurate, fed flawlessly, and cycled the action on my chinese sks just fine. I used the same charge with the Lee 93 gr .312 rn unsized and had similar results. Incidentally, the Lee boolit works great over unique in the 30/30 too. I just bought the soupcan mold though to take over on that duty.

Bottom line, I don't have any Trailboss advice, but you can use the 32 mag hollowpoints and the action will cycle with suitable powder and charges.