PDA

View Full Version : Accidental success is easy.

BT Sniper
12-23-2009, 01:50 AM
Repeating it is the hard part.

In the last couple nights I was able to fix my punch to notch jackets with. I had screwed it up a while back, even after it had work great the first time. Back then I made a couple really great looking XTP designs with the notched jaket and all from a 40 S&W case in 44 caliber. Ever since then I have been unable to repeat it.

In my many nights in the shop I have tried all sorts of different design ideas not knowing exactly what will fall from the die. Every once in a while it seems from pure dumb luck I get somthing that looks really good and then have to figure out just how to repeat it.

So........ as soon as I get some pics taken to post, it seems I may have a final design to my search for a great looking 44 cal bullet from the 40 S&W brass and also able to repeat it sucessfully. May not sound like much being able to do somthing exactly the same over and over again but untill this hobby I had not really had anything to compare such a challenge too.

I'll try and get some pics up soon. Having some computer issues at the moment, seems every two years you have to get a new one.
It is a conspiracy! :Fire: :killingpc:

:lol: kind of looks like both the computer and operator is getting shot.

BT

d_striker
12-24-2009, 03:27 AM
I found these in one of your posts from another site...How did you cut the notches in the one on the far right?

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/newbullet2.jpg

BT Sniper
12-24-2009, 04:20 AM
Yep, that was the one I was thinking of. I was finally able to repeat it sucessfully and repeatably. I'll post some better pics soon. Still may need to tweek it a little. Really wish I would not have changed a thing when I turned out that bullet, but I am really close.

d_striker
12-24-2009, 04:35 AM
Have you ever cut notches in a .40 cal bullet made from 9mm cases? I realize that using a 9mm boolit in a 9mm case will yield a swaged bullet with a lead tip. Would cutting a notch in the case still help with expansion? Or what about using a .32 cal core/boolit so the brass goes to the top of the bullet.

BT Sniper
12-30-2009, 05:12 AM
Striker,

I am still perfecting the 40 and havn't yet notched it. Yes the notches will greatly aid in expansion. They don't even have to be that deep. I have been sucessfull in getting 6 petels to shear with only a very slight notch, barly even visible. I really think that a 9mm cast bullet will work for us in a final bullet with no exposed lead. A lot of variables but I think the 95-105 grian 9mm cast bullet may be just right with the right size hollow point. I too am considering the 32 cal but I have tried the smaller cores and too lose of fit has lead to problems also. I was thinking about boring out that 32 cal 93 grain to make it a bit wider (like .350 or so) and see if I could wind up in the 110 grain range. Add that to the 60 grain case and should make a nice 170 grain 40 cal bullet.

Good shooting,

BT