PDA

View Full Version : Severely rusted S&W 4th Model

Boz330
12-21-2009, 04:25 PM
A friend of mine found a 32 Top Break 4th Model while doing a house restoration for habitat for humanity. This gun was wrapped in a rag that was wet and the house had not been lived in for 10 years and flooded several times. Nothing on this gun would budge and it is still loaded. I doubt that the ammo is any good but you never know. I told him to soak the whole thing in penetrant and tap on the screws with a screwdriver that fits the slot to try and get the oil in the threads.
Is there anything else that might be done to free this thing up?

Bob

Multigunner
12-21-2009, 04:35 PM
I've broken loose rusted up air rifle pistons by soaking with penetrating oil, then hanging it up with a wire and tapping lightly and rhythmically with a rawhide mallet.
Rust would begin to pour out like blood.

PS
Don't try to loosen the hinge by working it back and forth till all rust is removed otherwise it with spread it.

autofix4u
12-21-2009, 08:38 PM
Soak it in Evaporust overnight. There will be no oxidized steel left, just whatever solid steel that has survived. I have used it several times on automotive restorations and firearms and it just works.

peter nap
12-21-2009, 09:29 PM
Soak it in Evaporust overnight. There will be no oxidized steel left, just whatever solid steel that has survived. I have used it several times on automotive restorations and firearms and it just works.

Where can I find Evaporust?

I have a couple of these top breaks I'd like to get back in order.

Nevermind, just found it.

autofix4u
12-21-2009, 10:39 PM
We need pictures..... If you can. I know the Evaporust works, but cannot post pictures to show the results. I get mine at the local auto parts store (Mom & Pop place not a chain). I try to keep a gallon on hand just in case. And you can reuse the stuff, just let the crud settle out and pour off the top. Caution it will remove any Blued or Parkerized finish that's left.

RollerCam
12-22-2009, 12:39 AM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=evaporust

eka
12-22-2009, 01:48 AM
I have used electrolysis many times and can say without a doubt it is my number one preferred method. I had a cheapo .25 auto that was found in a wooded area. It was completely 100% a rusted mess. You couldn't read the numbers or letters. The slide and magazine was not budging. It still had a round in the chamber. It was just a big glob of rust. I put the whole thing in the electrolysis bath for 24 hours and then took a wire brush to it. It was truly amazing. The slide could be pulled to the rear and the magazine came out. I had to gently tap out the chambered round. I could read the serial number and all the writing. Incidentally, that was the real need to do all this in the first place. The gun needed to be checked for wanted / stolen and it had a round in the chamber and couldn't be made safe. The evidence clerk at the PD where I work can't accept it locked and loaded. So, I said what the heck, I have been wanting to try this and here is the perfect test subject. I should have taken the bets everybody was offering up, but I didn't think it would work like it did myself. I have since used this method to restore several things and it is awesome times 10. Here is the link that I used to get up to speed on this, but I don't know where their photos went, they had great photos at one time. But, still great info. If I were going to do this with a pistol, I'd use a bucket, put rebar spaced around the walls of the bucket (works line of sight), and power it with cheap 6 volt lantern batteries from Wal-Mart. The batteries are good for about 24 hr. of continuous use. Grind you a shiny spot on the rebar and wire all of them together. Use alligator clips to connect everything up. Hang the pistol suspended in the solution and let her go. You are doing a reverse plating process and the rebar is getting plated with rust. When you put the electricity to it, the rust leaves the pistol and clings to the rebar. It sounds a little difficult, but is extremely simple and effective. The solution is water and Arm and Hammer Washing Soda. The Washing Soda is cheap and can be found at the grocery store with the clothes detergents. Don't try substituting baking soda. I didn't get as fancy with my bucket as this one in the photo link below. I secured my rebar to the bucket with tape and just ran the wire around them.

Check it out: http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/rust/electrolytic_derusting.htm

http://blog.makezine.com/FJ8D4QJF21EQ6T29V4.medium.jpg

Keith

Boz330
12-22-2009, 09:20 AM
Thanks guys, I'll pass this along.

Bob