PDA

View Full Version : look what I made

hiram
12-21-2009, 04:02 PM
Look what I made it didn't work. I got ambitious and after reading how the squre ratchet broke or wore out on Lee's classic cast turret, I decided to try to make one in brass. I used a 45-70 case -- the rim was large enough and the rim thickness was good. I got it to fit but it would not go past the twist on the index rod. I think that's because the plastic part has a little give and flexes to the twist whereas the brass doesn't. I'm thinking of filing an angle in each corner so maybe it would feed onto to twist.

plus1hdcp
12-21-2009, 05:08 PM
Great idea. I hope that you perfect the brass ratchet. I have went through a couple of the plastic one. Easy enough to replace but I would rather not have too. Keep us updated on your progress.

RP
12-21-2009, 05:40 PM
I was thinking about on for the three hole but its has teeth on it and dont see me making one with my limited tools. But the man thing is set up i have messed up a few by overtighten them before I read the directions and did it right.

buck1
12-26-2009, 08:11 PM
Thats my prob with lee, a cast iron frame and a plastic ratchet.

Doble Troble
12-26-2009, 08:39 PM
There's nothing that a collaboration between Mr. Needle File and Mr. Takeyour Time can't fix.

Bullshop Junior
12-27-2009, 12:30 AM
I broke mine so fast................

I no longer use it. I can turn the thing just find by hand, and I never really did like the thing any how.

clodhopper
12-27-2009, 12:51 AM
Nice work. Hope you can work the kinks out of that.

Rich219
12-29-2009, 11:40 PM
Just make sure you don't put that in your bucket of brass to reload!

geargnasher
12-30-2009, 12:06 AM
There's nothing that a collaboration between Mr. Needle File and Mr. Takeyour Time can't fix.

That's exactly right. Necessary for even stock Lee parts in many cases, along with mister sandpaper and senor patience. Good tools once you get 'em tuned up.

Hiram, I made one of those with too, used two layers of copper soldered together. You can make it work, just slick it up a bit.

Gear

hiram
01-19-2010, 01:10 AM
I got ambitious today and worked on the brass doohickey a little. I used a carbide burr in the corners and got the doohickey to slide up and down the index rod. When I installed it on the press, the ram traveled up and down but the rod / turret did not rotate. I have no idea why.. Oh well.