View Full Version : Jeff Bartlett has 7383

Jim
12-20-2009, 09:46 PM
IMR7383
This is a slow burning stick powder originally used for the Cal. .50
M48 Spotter/Tracer round. It is a very bulky powder, that has about
the same propellant energy as IMR4831 by volume, but weighs less than
the same volume of IMR4831. You can work up loads using IMR4831 data,
reduced 15% by weight. It works great in my .25-06.
This is new powder, not pulldown.
$70/7# jug.
Used to be $4/lb. @ Hi-Tech.

TCLouis
12-20-2009, 11:27 PM
when you can even find any.

It looks like we are going to have to depend on the Russkis needing money and dumping powder on the market to find even close to a bargain on milsurp powder from now on.

Well that isn't even true now, Jeff has Russki 2400 and 700 (or did on 1/08/10), but lest I be mistaken they are comparably priced (when all costs are factored in) to regular powders.

doctorxring
01-10-2010, 12:30 AM

Thanks for the heads up on this powder. I picked up some.

Gold used to be $35 an ounce.

:)

dxr

Ricochet
01-10-2010, 12:56 AM
It's a good bit faster burning than 4831. (It replaced 4831 in the .50 spotter cartridge.) I originally thought it comparable in burning speed to 4350 based on the charge weight comparions with 4831 in the original .50 spotter, charge weight & velocity in .30-06 with 150 grain bullets and .22-250 with 55 grainers, but Hi-Tech said when I bought it from them to consider it like 4064 or 4320. Loaded in a cartridge like the .300 Weatherby with more case capacity for the bore and/or with heavier for caliber bullets it speeds up. Also speeds up rapidly when it passes the full case volume and gets compressed. Remember that the working maximum pressure for the .50 spotter cartridge this was designed for (the powder was never used in any other load) was 38,000 PSI. Good for cast boolit loads. Push it to the max with jacketed bullets and you're running it past what the maker had in mind. May work fine, but be careful.

Shiloh
01-10-2010, 10:54 AM

It looks like we are going to have to depend on the Russkis needing money and dumping powder on the market to find even close to a bargain on milsurp powder from now on.

The price has all but reached parity with cannister powders when even available. For the minute difference in price, I go with now go with cannster.

Shot up my share of surplus and data powders in the past, but the prices then made them a bargain. This is no longer so.

SHiloh

Sur5er
01-10-2010, 07:50 PM

Well that isn't even true now, Jeff has Russki 2400 and 700 (or did on 1/08/10), but lest I be mistaken they are comparably priced (when all costs are factored in) to regular powders.

If you buy 1 or 2 jugs at a time you're correct. If you get 4, then you save the $$. From what I see the price is only going to go up. So, as soon as they can figure out how to tax the internet sale of components we'll really be screwed! Can't you see it now? The price of smokless powder will be on the AMEX!