PDA

View Full Version : Lee 240 grain Round nose in 44 mag

RobS
12-20-2009, 08:05 PM
Anyone try the Lee 429-240-2R in a lever action. My father has a Big Boy Henry and although the profile of the bullet would give smooth initial feeding it may present a problem with having a longer length regarding cycling.

Information regarding any lever action and this mold would be helpful. The bullet will only be used for plinking rounds as the lee 310 grain bullet has been selected for hunting needs and heavy work.

Thanks,
Rob

doubs43
12-20-2009, 08:31 PM
I use it with 17.0 grains of 2400. It's a good boolit but after slugging my barrel, I'm surprised it does well at all when the groove diamter of my Puma 92 is .433" and the boolit is sized to .430". I moderately crimp in the crimping groove as high as possible. It's a good load.

I also use it in 44 Special cases in my Ruger New Model Flattop 44 Mag revolver. My load is 7.5 grains of IMR-4756.

RobS
12-20-2009, 10:05 PM
doubs43:
Thanks for the reply............

anyone else out there using this bullet in a lever action???

WyrTwister
12-22-2009, 03:55 AM
Anyone try the Lee 429-240-2R in a lever action. My father has a Big Boy Henry and although the profile of the bullet would give smooth initial feeding it may present a problem with having a longer length regarding cycling.

Information regarding any lever action and this mold would be helpful. The bullet will only be used for plinking rounds as the lee 310 grain bullet has been selected for hunting needs and heavy work.

Thanks,
Rob

I have been shooting the Lee .44 SWC in a S&W M 29 for several years . When I bought a Marlin .44 Maq , I discovered it did not much like SWC's .

I bought that mold in 6 cavity . I shoot them as cast , with Lee Liquid Alox .

By running my melting pot just hot enough to cast good bullets , they seem to come out bigger . I used to run it very hot & I found out they came out smaller .

This bullet feeds slick . :-)

I bought a RN mold for a .357 lever gun , same reason , same results . My .45 LC molf is a RNFP & it feeds well , also .

God bless
Wyr