PDA

View Full Version : KimberŪ .22LR Target Conversion Kit for &Mil. Spec. 1911

Muddy Creek Sam
12-20-2009, 07:51 PM
Just ordered one of these for my O1918 Colt, any fitting required?

Thanks,

Sam :D

knifemaker
12-20-2009, 09:06 PM
Sam; there should be no fitting required if your gun is built to military specs. I did not get the Kimber conversion, but did buy the Advantage Arms conversion about 3 months ago. It is great for cheap practice with the 1911. I also found that the Advantage Arms conversion is very accrurate with several brands of 22 ammo.
You may have to keep the rails on the frame and slide very welled oiled for dependable reliable function. And most of them reccommend the use of high velocity copper plated 22 ammo for best function. The brand I purchased reccomended CCI and Remington for best function, but I found it was also very accurate and reliable with the Federal Value pack ammo.
With CCI ammo, mine is as accurate as my Ruger Mark-ll bull barrel pistol. Have fun shooting it, rabbits better look out.

fecmech
12-20-2009, 09:24 PM
Sam--I think the Kimber is the same as the Ceiner. One thing that can make a big difference in the ammo that will run reliably in these conversions is the weight of the hammer spring. The stock hammer spring is a 26 or 27 lb. spring and the recoil of the ammo must overcome this spring to cock the gun. I changed out the hammer spring in my Mil spec to a 20 lb. spring in the course of doing a trigger job. My Ceiner .22 conversion runs great with HV and standard velocity .22 ammo and I have never had a misfire on .45 ammo with the lighter spring no matter what primer is used. In fact my "wad" gun runs an 18 lb. hammer spring and it has never failed me in countless thousands of rounds.

snowwolfe
12-20-2009, 09:32 PM
Owned a Ceiner and I agree it is the same as the Kimber. The one I owned different require any fitting or change of springs and it worked pretty well, up to a point.
The more it was used over the course of the day the more it failed to eject properly. Once it was cleaned everything was fine. I was told not to change the spring because the slide was so much lighter than the stock 45 slide. But, who knows, maybe a lighter spring would work better. They are generally very accurate as well.

fecmech
12-21-2009, 12:21 AM
Owned a Ceiner and I agree it is the same as the Kimber. The one I owned different require any fitting or change of springs and it worked pretty well, up to a point.
The more it was used over the course of the day the more it failed to eject properly. Once it was cleaned everything was fine. I was told not to change the spring because the slide was so much lighter than the stock 45 slide. But, who knows, maybe a lighter spring would work better. They are generally very accurate as well.

Snowwolf--I was not talking about the recoil spring on the unit. I'm referring to the spring that powers the hammer and is located in the grip.

9.3X62AL
12-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Snowwolfe--

Your 22 top unit sure isn't the only 22 self-loader that gets gummy after being fired for a while. 22s 'shoot dirty', period. Just part of the gig with 22 shootin', AFAIC.