PDA

View Full Version : Powder Coat Finish?

Uncle Grinch
12-20-2009, 07:06 PM
There are many type of finishes for firearms, with many intened for the home gunsmith. Duracaot is one option and that got me to thinking about powdercoat finish.

I know the basic principle of it, but is it durable enough for firearm use?

No_1
12-20-2009, 07:14 PM
If the surface is prepared correctly, it should last forever. I have seen stuff powder coated that you cannot sand blast off.

Robert

Bill*
12-20-2009, 07:25 PM
I believe they put it in an oven after applying it. If so, depending on the temp.,you might want to remove any springs first. Not sure on this but it's a thought you might want to consider.

leadeye
12-20-2009, 10:06 PM
There are lots of types of powder coating, most are what is know as polyester/epoxy hybrid. These are tough film formers but also benifit from the ability of powder coating to stack heavy film thickness if you want it.

HeavyMetal
12-20-2009, 10:44 PM
A lot of the equipment I sell is powder coated these days. It's less hassle enviromentally than paint.

Parts are "cooked" in an oven at 400 degrees, powder melts and spreads over the part at this temp. Once removed from the oven the finish hardens and takes a gloss, if the original "Paint" was indeed supposed to be glossy.

Looks great and is considerablely corrosion resistant however it does not "handle" well and touch up is usually more obvious than the scratch you want to cover up.

So for a display piece that would not be used or handled Powder coat is good for an everyday user firearm I think it would chip and then flake off in chunks which is what I see it do in the scrubber industry!

If you wish to pursue the idea, it was big in the car restoration arena a few years ago, go to Harbor freights web site they sell both the paint and the applicator tool as well as ovens and other stand up heat sources.

Make sure you understand how this stuff works! Any static in the area or on you will result in very poor to no results real fast.

Johnch
12-20-2009, 11:26 PM
I powder coat jig heads

I have had a soft lead jig mushroom and the powder coat stayed on , but it did crack in spots

Might work if done properly

Now if I could only figure out how to powder coat my foam jig heads
They keep melting lol

And IMO so would any non metal parts

John