PDA

View Full Version : Lee 50 BMG press

Owens
12-20-2009, 11:17 AM
Looking to get a press for the big round. Have looked at RCBS and looks good until the $$ is looked at. I use RCBS on everything else though, and have nothing but good to say about the equipment.

Does anyone here have any experience/knowledge on the Lee 50 BMG press? I have read a few online reviews and most indicate good results, good reliability, but there are a few very negative reviews.

I know that everyone has an opinion and ultimitely the choice is mine, but I'm looking for a bit more data to help me decide.

Thanks in advance and good shootin.
Owens

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-20-2009, 01:50 PM
Owens,

I own the Lee Classic Cast single stage press (which is the press in their .50 cal. kit), but I'm not using it with that cartridge. I've been extremely happy with the press. It's one of the most advanced single stage presses around these days, related to primer disposal and leverage of the linkage/ergonomics. It was a good enough press it pushed my American-made Rock Chucker off my bench and into the Swap & Sell of a reloading forum a few years back.

I don't know a lot about resizing .50 caliber brass, but I wouldn't hesitate to get one for that application, based on my experience. With what it costs, it it wasn't big enough to suit for .50 cal., you could use the dies on a larger press and keep the press as a standard sized single stage and still not have a lot of money invested.

Regards,

Dave

Owens
12-20-2009, 11:04 PM
Dave thanks for the input. I am just now beginning to see how much cost there is in extracting the fun outa the big 50.

mooman76
12-21-2009, 12:27 AM
I also have the Lee classic cast. It is a big beefy press that would have no problem doing that cart. The only complaint I have and it's not really a complaint is that it is bigger so I have to screw the dies in quite a bit farther because of the length of room they gave for the 50. I'f you break this press, you're doing something wrong or not intended fo this press. Can't go wrong for the money.

Faret
12-21-2009, 02:03 AM
I have had no problems with the press resizing 50 brass even fired from a machine gun. Maybe I have gotten lucky? The press works for me though. I have made some mods to the priming setup so it is easier to get consistant depths the leverage is too much to get a good feel on seating but is a simple fix. best thing I can tell you is bolt it down to your bench tight! Then bolt your bench down to the ground or wall! I use the rcbs lube pad and lube without problems. Midway has the press on sale now I think. Good luck

exile
12-21-2009, 03:51 AM
I started reloading maybe 4 years ago and the Lee Classic Cast press is the only one I have ever owned. For $ 59.00 I do not see how anyone could make a better press. I have no complaints at all. It is particularly a good press for me as I am left handed. I have not loaded any rifle cartridges, however the press is so smooth and there is so much leverage, I do not see why you would have a problem with loading the 50 BMG. I have limited funds, more time than money and limited mechanical ability, so I do not think I would enjoy a progressive press. I would love to buy another one for depriming alone. All my reloading products are Lee and I love them. Very economical and simple to use. Lee products make a novice reloader like me look pretty good.

exile

Owens
12-21-2009, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the input folks. Makes me lean in the direction of Lee on this so far.