PDA

View Full Version : Annealing Starline Brass

jackley
12-20-2009, 10:53 AM
Do you have to anneal after every shot?

Russ in WY
12-20-2009, 12:03 PM
What Caliber you talking about pistol or Rifle ??? My answer to either would be NO. Never heard of annealing any where that often. on any Mfg of brass cases. The only time that I have annealed is after forming into a wildcat . 20 Tac & 20 Vartarg , or if after many firings you start to see neck splitting. My 2¢ Russ.

Hip's Ax
12-20-2009, 12:37 PM
The deal with Starline 45-70 is that Starline cannot know what rifle or charge you will be using so they plan on your using it in a high pressure smokeless load.

Now, it is warned that when using this brass with blackpowder the brass may have to be annealed to soften the brass so that the low pressure of the blackpowder will be able to obturate (seal) so no blow by occurs.

I have some Starline 45-70 and while it was more effort to load the first time there is no difference after as I do not resize, I "slip fit" the lead bullets for blackpowder cartridge target use.

:hijack:

I digress, I did not nor do I plan on annealing my Starline 45-70 brass. My shooting buddy is using Starline for "normal" midrange use but I'm using mine for long range 3F Swiss "Nuke Loads" which attain 45-90 velocities which makes my 45-70 appropriate for LR use and therefore I have 2 rifles and can introduce friends to the game. I'm going to buy more Starline once it comes off of backorder. I may have some lube issues with the Nuke but maybe not too.

I'm a little anal when it comes to brass, I shoot A LOT of different games and like different headstamps for different things, this helps keep things seperate in my mind. I use R-P for 200 yard offhand with a light load and the Saeco 745, W-W for 300/600 with the Hoch 550 and I use the Starline with the Hock 550 for LR use.

jackley
12-20-2009, 12:52 PM
I'm shooting a 45-90 with a 540gr. PP bullet.

Jerry

Kenny Wasserburger
12-20-2009, 01:00 PM
I anneal after every firing, however its a mild anneal, it gives me very consistant results that speak for themselves. I use a spinner tool made by Jim Terry he advertises in the BPCR news he is outa Rawlins Wyoming and is my Long Range shooting pard. This is for my 45-110 Shiloh's. With annealing one gets a very consistant Chamber seal as it were, Chrono Numbers along with using primer wads are single digits in ES and SD's and vertical at 800 to 1000 yards is on the order of 1/2 MOA and thats been observed by many folks at Phoenix and Raton NM. At 200 yards the load will shoot Sub MOA in 2 different 45-110 Shilohs off the bench.

Butch Ulsher, of Butte Montana, turned me on to Annealing after every shot, he holds more records in long Range then anyone else, and is a several time National Long Range Champion.

KW

The Lunger

1874Sharps
12-20-2009, 02:35 PM
For the midrange informal target shooting and hunting I do, annealing is not necessary for good accuracy. It seems like I anneal about every fifth use. For my purposes, I probably could get away without annealing at all, but to each his own.

Don McDowell
12-20-2009, 02:44 PM
Do you have to anneal after every shot?

The only way you'll find the true answer to that question as it applies to your rifle and loads is to try annealing and not.
In my simple pea brain I'm not so convinced that annealing a bore sized paper patch bullet ,or grease groove slip fit into the nonresized case accomplishes much....
Grease grooved or groove diameter paper patch bullets running some neck tension , so that it matters if the bullets get a repeatable indenticle release from the case mouth, well maybe....

montana_charlie
12-20-2009, 04:06 PM
You titled your thread "Annealing Starline Brass", then asked if it's necessary to anneal after every shot.

From that, I take it you are asking a question like this...

Since Starline recommends annealing, does that mean it has to be done for every loading?

The answer to that question would be "No".
If you anneal it once, it will gradually work harden just like any other brand of brass.

If you were to find that you need to anneal your Remington cases every (say) ten shots...you could depend on about the same requirement with Starline.

CM

chuebner
12-22-2009, 03:42 PM
My first batch of 45-70 Starline brass was not annealed as recommended and I ended up with soot on half the case with BP loads. I annealed that batch after all loads were fired and now lightly anneal every fifth loading.

charlie

cajun shooter
12-23-2009, 10:01 AM
Each rifle is different but after taking KW's advise I anneal after each firing. I find that if I do so the shots are the same each time and that is one variable out of the way. When it comes to questions about shooting LR and KW tells you something then do it. When I first started shooting in the 60's I had a retired doctor as my mentor. He gave me some solid advise, go to a match and see what the top shooters do and then follow that. These guys are doing you a big favor as they have tried all the other ways and are saving you the failure time. I have seen several people try to do it the other way and fail. They want to re-invent the wheel. This is not to say that you can't try something on your own but start with the proven and go from there.

crabo
12-23-2009, 06:08 PM
I use a spinner tool made by Jim Terry he advertises in the BPCR news he is outa Rawlins Wyoming and is my Long Range shooting pard.
KW

The Lunger
Do you have a link for this? I googled Jim Terry and spinner and only got the reference to this thread.

jackley
12-23-2009, 06:45 PM
Do you have a link for this? I googled Jim Terry and spinner and only got the reference to this thread.

www.wyomingbpcr.net/gentlemanjim/index.html

I Had a hard time finding it also.

Jerry