PDA

View Full Version : Lyman #2 recipe request

JD Yellowhammer
12-20-2009, 07:50 AM
Howdy. I've recently acquired 60 lbs of Lyman #2. As you know, the Bhn should be 15. I mainly shoot cowboy guns (SASS/CAS/NCOWS) with either smokeless or black powder, and with low velocities (Please note--I shoot Warthog charges, not powder puff loads.) I also shoot BPCR. Because it's b.p., the velocity is low compared to smokeless.

I've searched without success, both here and on the web, for a simple recipe to soften and extend the Lyman #2. I have some close-to-pure lead from stick-on WW's, cable sheathing and muzzleloader balls. I don't have Microsoft Excel so the various calculators can't help me.

I'd like to cast bullets that are in the 10-12 Bhn range for the cowboy guns, and possibly softer, like 30-1, for BPCR. I'd be grateful if someone could suggest how much pure lead I need to add to the Lyman to soften it and make it last. It would be great if someone could answer both in percentages and actual weights. When it comes to math, I definitely ride the short bus. [smilie=f:
Thanks!

rob45
12-20-2009, 08:34 AM
For @12 BHN, mix 1:1 Lyman No.2 with pure lead. In other words, one pound of each.

For closer to 10 BHN, mix 2:1 lead with the No.2 alloy. In other words, two pounds of lead with one pound of No.2 alloy.

This assumes your "soft lead" is nearly pure, and your No.2 is the original 5/5/90 formula.

lwknight
12-20-2009, 11:44 AM
You can get Excel viewer free from microjunk or even better get OpenOffice 3.0. Its free and does everything Microfost office does.

JD Yellowhammer
12-20-2009, 04:13 PM
Thanks for both suggestions!

I'm sure the Lyman #2 is accurate--it's from Rotometals. The purity of the lead ingots is less certain but I think it's very close to pure. Rob45, do you know what the lead/tin/antimony percentages will be for the 1-1 and 2-1?

I'll check out the free excel viewer, thanks! I didn't know about those programs.

rob45
12-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Thanks for both suggestions!

I'm sure the Lyman #2 is accurate--it's from Rotometals. The purity of the lead ingots is less certain but I think it's very close to pure. Rob45, do you know what the lead/tin/antimony percentages will be for the 1-1 and 2-1?

I'll check out the free excel viewer, thanks! I didn't know about those programs.

One part Lyman No.2 mixed with one part pure lead will (theoretically) result in an alloy containing 2.5% Sn, 2.5% Sb, 95% Pb. Please note that this is very similar to clip weights with tin added.

Increasing the lead to give 2:1 will result in approximately1.25% Sn, 1.25% Sb, 97.5% Pb.

The percentages are rarely ever exact due to oxidation losses, but close enough for all practical purposes.

JD Yellowhammer
12-20-2009, 04:43 PM
Excellent! Thank you!

jsizemore
12-20-2009, 06:39 PM
Increasing the lead to give 2:1 will result in approximately1.25% Sn, 1.25% Sb, 97.5% Pb.

I think 2:1 would yield 1.67% Sn, 1.67% Sb, 96.66% Pb.

rob45
12-21-2009, 12:29 AM
I think 2:1 would yield 1.67% Sn, 1.67% Sb, 96.66% Pb.

Of course you are correct, mathematically speaking. After all, 5 divided by 300 does yield 1.67%.

I suppose that I should have not typed the word "approximately" in post #5.

After all, JD mentioned his difficulty with math, and rather than being precise, I thought it might perhaps be better to give him an easier concept to grasp. But perhaps his alloying procedures can indeed realize a .42% difference.

Perhaps his purchased No.2 is precisely 5/5/90 (mine is not, and I have over 1000 pounds of it), and his stated soft lead sources are 99.8% pure. Were this the case, I suppose I would have given exact calculated percentages rather than halve the previous percentage. Therefore, I wrongly assumed that it may be easier for him to simply double the lead and halve the percentage of Sn and Sb.

I suppose I should not have also mentioned at the bottom of post #5: "The percentages are rarely ever exact due to oxidation losses, but close enough for all practical purposes."

In over 20 years of both purchasing "foundry grade" alloys and making my own, and paying for over 50 different assays during that time, I can honestly say that it is extremely difficult to have the computed result be identical to the actual final result. First, one must take into account the composition before alloying, then be able to accurately estimate actual losses during the alloying process (mostly due to oxidation). Perhaps we should consider refining our home processes from "making our own bullet metal" to "lab grade alloying procedures".

And finally, if one can indeed attain a variance of less than the above .42%, then he gets to go through all the fun testing to see if such variances actually make a difference in the final results as pertaining to the use of said alloy.

But I digress...

I'm simply trying to keep things simple for the new guy; I had no idea that such imprecision would raise comments concerning the validity of my response. Perhaps in future posts I should reveal my mathematical capabilities and show myself for the analytical person I actually am; after all, my occupation requires those skills on a daily basis.

JD Yellowhammer
12-21-2009, 07:02 AM
I'm simply trying to keep things simple for the new guy

And the new guy appreciates it! Halving the percentages after doubling the elements is the kind of calculation I can grasp (and should've known to begin with). And letting me know that 2-1 will give me close to 10 BHN is a process I can comprehend.

Usually, all I need to see is a couple of decimal points or a division sign and my eyes glaze over and my IQ drops several points. :veryconfu

leadman
12-21-2009, 06:11 PM
rob45, you are correct in the fact that alloys purchased do vary. In my experience over 35+ years that a variance in the alloy usually is not as important as the quality and fit of the bullets cast.
Close is usually good enough.
The exception to this might be if one was pushing the bullet to absolute velocity for the alloy strength.

jsizemore
12-21-2009, 07:09 PM
I'm sorry rob45. It's a holdover from teachers I had in high school and college who couldn't get the answer right when trying to explain math theory.

Again rob45, I'm sorry and I'll keep my big mouth shut.

Barnowl
12-21-2009, 11:51 PM

Unfortunately the Excel viewer will not allow entering data.

geargnasher
12-22-2009, 01:41 AM
Rob45, how about explaining it in terms of percent Sn/Sb intermetallic alloy versus percent elemental metals?:brokenima

Gear

lwknight
12-22-2009, 02:02 AM
Is that a question or a challenge?