PDA

View Full Version : Policlips boolit casting machine report...

TriggerHappyAndy
12-20-2009, 06:54 AM
I recieved a policlips that I bought from deltaenterprizes on this forum about a week ago. But I havenīt been able to try it until yesterday. I had 77 lb of ingots and turned them into perfect bullets in about two hours. What amazed me was that just about every single boolit was perfect. I only discarded two. I took my time the first time, so itīs probably possible to cast a lot faster. The boolits I cast were 230 grains .45 acp rn.

/Andy
http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp335/andy_plumber/boolitcasting1.jpg
http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp335/andy_plumber/boolits.jpg

Cowboy5780
12-20-2009, 08:05 AM
Andy you better send me that machine id hate for you to get addicted, i'll properly dispose of it.

TriggerHappyAndy
12-20-2009, 08:22 AM
Andy you better send me that machine id hate for you to get addicted, i'll properly dispose of it.

But ofcourse sir. How very unselfish and caring of you! What address would you like it shipped to? The shipping cost is on me. :drinks:

1874Sharps
12-20-2009, 08:23 AM
Andy,

Very cool! I did a search but could not find any photos of that machne. Would you post a photo? I would like to see it.

Edubya
12-20-2009, 10:18 AM
WOW! I've never seen one of those before. Seventy pounds of .45 boolits in two hours is impressive. Now if you need some help lubing and disposing that much led I'll be glad to offer my services.
Do you have a unique machine that will lube them just as fast as you've made them? You may as well go commercial!
EW

bigboredad
12-20-2009, 04:47 PM
them are some purdy boolits and fast means more time to shoot sounds like you got a keeper

deltaenterprizes
12-20-2009, 06:48 PM
Looks great Andy, glad you got it in one piece and got it working!

TriggerHappyAndy
12-23-2009, 04:09 PM
Hello again,

1874 sharps: The machine is the red thing in the upper pic. I can take more pictures of it and post them if you want.
Edubuya: Thank you for your offer! I may go commercial and I have a star lubrisizer with a home made bullet feeder.
I think thats fast enough. Do you sell boolits commercially?
Bigboredad: Yes, difinitely a keeper!
Deltaenterprizes: Thanks a lot! This has really made my year.
Here is one more pic of the machine.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp335/andy_plumber/boolitcasting2.jpg

Bradley
12-26-2009, 02:03 PM
What does something like this cost? How hard is it to convert from one bullet mould to another? Assuming that these machines are still made, where do you buy one?

deltaenterprizes
12-26-2009, 04:39 PM
They are no longer made and in around 1990 were $1500 when and extra mold blocks were $200. They were made in Italy and imported to the US through Canada.

TriggerHappyAndy
12-27-2009, 06:17 AM
Bradley: I spoke to a gentleman that has two policlips machines, he had a machinist make him special sprue plates and adaptors for lyman four cavity molds. But I think it would be possible to use Lee 6-cavity molds with some adaptors n stuff...

MiHec
04-16-2014, 02:17 PM
Poliklips machine in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXZaNxdqfUM

I make molds for it now ;)

bmiller
04-16-2014, 04:04 PM
Why don't you make the rest of the machine too! :).

MiHec
04-16-2014, 04:53 PM
Why don't you make the rest of the machine too! :).

Don't push it......:D

Smoke4320
04-16-2014, 05:04 PM
I would prefer to "pull it "
a MP casting machine to go with my MP molds .. who would have thunk it :) :)

NOW nudge nudge .. go make some 230 Gr HP 300 Blackout molds... many more :) :) :)

M-Tecs
04-16-2014, 07:41 PM
a MP casting machine to go with my MP molds .. who would have thunk it :) :)

NOW nudge nudge .. :) :) :)

Yes Yes Yes!!!!!

bmiller
04-16-2014, 07:47 PM
Don't push it......:D

I received my 6 cavity 9mm coated bullet mold today. It looks great! Can't wait to try it out. Is the mold held together by spring tension, or is it pressure on the handle?

MiHec
04-17-2014, 03:58 AM
I received my 6 cavity 9mm coated bullet mold today. It looks great! Can't wait to try it out. Is the mold held together by spring tension, or is it pressure on the handle?

If you are asking for POLIKLIPS it is held together by pressure on the handle

bmiller
04-17-2014, 05:14 AM
Sorry, yes the Poliklips. It looks like a relatively simple machine.

jmorris
04-17-2014, 09:25 AM
Why is the fellow in the video above waiting so long for them to cool? Looks like he gets a big strip of sprue with pliers but is shaking and picking through the bullet tray too but I can't see what he is doing.

Anyone have a better video of one running?

kayak1
04-17-2014, 09:15 PM
Would love to see a Jmorris modified Policlips machine.

jmorris
04-17-2014, 10:45 PM
You have to send me a better video first;)

MBTcustom
04-18-2014, 09:54 AM
Why is the fellow in the video above waiting so long for them to cool? Looks like he gets a big strip of sprue with pliers but is shaking and picking through the bullet tray too but I can't see what he is doing.

Anyone have a better video of one running?

That's what I was thinking. Looks like 15-17 seconds for 6 boolits.
That's a little slower than how fast I run my Lee 6 cavity mold.

If you do the math with the info from the OP, he made 390 drops in about 7200 seconds (2,343 boolits in 2 hours) which is about 18 seconds per drop.
I could beat that with my Lee, but I'd be worn out by the time I got it done, so maybe that's the big draw with the machine?

bmiller
04-18-2014, 11:06 AM
Cutting the sprue after the mold is opened is interesting. I wonder if it has any negative effects on bullet shape? It would be cool to find a way to automate the process casting with 6 cavity molds.

MiHec
04-18-2014, 02:21 PM
He is casting so slow so I was able to capture it on my mobile.
It is possible to cast 700 - 800 good 9mm bullets in an hour. Takes longer for bigger calibers (aprox. 600 pcs. 45 acp 230 grain in 1 hour).
I will take some detailed photos and better movie explaining how machine works.

jmorris
04-18-2014, 04:31 PM
I could beat that with my Lee, but I'd be worn out by the time I got it done, so maybe that's the big draw with the machine?

Not of you automate the process. My casting machine only casts around 480 and hour but I can coat them while it is casting more and the sizing machine can be sizing a coated batch all at the same time.

So at the end of the session it's like 3 people were doing the work or it only takes 1/3 the time from a block of lead to a ready to load bullet.

MBTcustom
04-18-2014, 07:45 PM
He is casting so slow so I was able to capture it on my mobile.
It is possible to cast 700 - 800 good 9mm bullets in an hour. Takes longer for bigger calibers (aprox. 600 pcs. 45 acp 230 grain in 1 hour).
I will take some detailed photos and better movie explaining how machine works.

I would hope so. 800 boolits in an hour, dropping 6 each time comes out to almost 30 seconds per pour, or almost twice as long as the video.
Now if you're saying that you can make 800 drops in an hour, or 4.5 seconds per pour/4800 boolits per hour, color me interested!

freebullet
04-18-2014, 09:58 PM
Very interesting. I think pulling the handle and jacking with pliers is to much work. Imo it should either be push button or fully automated. Seeing the automated units run is very impressive.

MiHec
04-19-2014, 01:56 AM
It is 800 good bullets per hour for now. I think the vent on the machine is too small, and you have to wait for sprue to harden really good, otherwise you have problem removing it.
Still, you can cast with it all day and you do not get tired ;) I all ready have some ideas how to make some modifications to it. I don think this machine is good for automation, because you can not remove sprue otherwise but by hand.

Time between pours can be faster, but some time you need a lot of time removing sprue (it brakes in few pieces, sticks.....)

MBTcustom
04-19-2014, 10:50 AM
It is 800 good bullets per hour for now. I think the vent on the machine is too small, and you have to wait for sprue to harden really good, otherwise you have problem removing it.
Still, you can cast with it all day and you do not get tired ;) I all ready have some ideas how to make some modifications to it. I don think this machine is good for automation, because you can not remove sprue otherwise but by hand.

Time between pours can be faster, but some time you need a lot of time removing sprue (it brakes in few pieces, sticks.....)

Got it. Well, that is a valid point about being able to cast all day without getting tired. Also, you get to use really good quality molds in a six cavity :bigsmyl2:

jmorris
04-19-2014, 06:40 PM
I think the vent on the machine is too small, and you have to wait for sprue to harden really good, otherwise you have problem removing it.L

Can you explain a little more? I am not sure I follow.

I would figure the sprue takes longer because of the mass of it. If you wanted it/them to cool faster you would stop the flow right after the mold if full but then have 6 parts to remove instead of a single large one.

MiHec
04-20-2014, 04:05 AM
Can you explain a little more? I am not sure I follow.

I would figure the sprue takes longer because of the mass of it. If you wanted it/them to cool faster you would stop the flow right after the mold if full but then have 6 parts to remove instead of a single large one.

I will make a new video with details.

Yes, you could produce smaller sprue, but it is PITA then to remove it. Bigger (stronger) vent would help to cool down sprue faster.
So compromise for me is bigger sprue and easy removing for now.
As I say I have some ideas how to make removing of sprue easier.
It will be explained on video.

MiHec
04-28-2014, 02:45 PM
More detailed video

LINK (http://youtu.be/1thTa5R1ByQ)

jmorris
04-28-2014, 06:53 PM
Very good video and interesting design. What does the base of the bullet look like?

Am I correct in assuming that the mold installation is so important because you could bend it, end to end making it feather the middle bullets?

Tazza
04-28-2014, 11:22 PM
That is pretty neat actually. Adjusting the individual pour valves would be a pain in the butt.

Not a big fan of having to manually pick the sprue off each time though, but it does look pretty easy to use. Shame they didn't somehow make it turn to drop the sprue off, it would be a really fancy setup if it did, removing the need to use pliers.

MiHec
04-29-2014, 08:04 AM
Very good video and interesting design. What does the base of the bullet look like?

Am I correct in assuming that the mold installation is so important because you could bend it, end to end making it feather the middle bullets?

Base of the bullet can be FB or BB - no problem here. Mold installation is important for 2 thinks. You want sprue to be centered to the mold + it must be parallel.

SSGOldfart
04-29-2014, 08:08 AM
I recieved a policlips that I bought from deltaenterprizes on this forum about a week ago. But I havenīt been able to try it until yesterday. I had 77 lb of ingots and turned them into perfect bullets in about two hours. What amazed me was that just about every single boolit was perfect. I only discarded two. I took my time the first time, so itīs probably possible to cast a lot faster. The boolits I cast were 230 grains .45 acp rn.

/Andy
http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp335/andy_plumber/boolitcasting1.jpg
http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp335/andy_plumber/boolits.jpg
Humm nice where did you find that machine ??