PDA

View Full Version : 91/30 from AIM

SciFiJim
12-19-2009, 10:42 PM
I have only gotten into shooting in the last year or so. I am about to order my first Mosin Nagant from AIM (http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Russian_1891_30_7.62x54R_Mosin_Nagant_Rifle.html). It it worth the extra $10 to have it hand picked from 5 others? I choose AIM because of the accessories that come with it.

Hip's Ax
12-19-2009, 11:03 PM
Check out the link below. Gunboards is to Mosin's what Cast Boolits is to bullet casting. Go into The Collectors forum and search, you can probably find a thread about how these rifles are "running" from Aim. BTW, Aim is a great place, bought a lot of stuff from them years back.

http://forums.gunboards.com/

Uncle Grinch
12-20-2009, 12:52 AM
I bought two hex receiever M/N last month from AIM and although I haven't shot them yet, they appear to be better than expected. I have no complaints.

SciFiJim
12-20-2009, 12:57 AM
What is the advantage of the hexagonal receivers?

Dutchman
12-20-2009, 01:28 AM
It is my historical experience that the extra for "hand pick" is usually worth it. I consider it just part of the price and I don't squeal about it. Ten to fifteen years ago most of the rifles from SOG in Ohio were graded and boxed by Century Arms. The boxes marked HP were the better condition rifles but the dudes at SOG never looked inside the boxes they just yanked them off the pile. I always paid for HP and was never really disappointed. AIM has a different method of doing "hand pick" which you might inquire about. But I'd still just consider it part of the price.

I got a very nice 91/30 from AIM about 18 months ago for my son-in-law. Brand new laminated stock. Never saw a drop of oil or a speck of grease. Beautiful bore, too. With c-r-ffl you pays yer money and you takes yer chances. That's always been the cruffler mantra and there's nothing changed now. If you want a better grade of curio/relic you'll have to buy from a private party or someplace like Empire Arms that photographs and describes extensively. You'll pay more but you'll get a much better firearm.

If you can still find 91/30 with laminated stocks BUY THEM NOW. They won't last and the laminated stocks are a much better stock than the solid birch.

Hex versus round receiver.. The hex are the older receivers. They're kinda cool. With round receivers you can get two basic types. The regular pre-WW2 receiver or the WW2 "high wall" and usually quite rough machining. Nothing wrong with the high wall rough machined receiver but the Russkies used very dull tool bits on the exterior. They're not unsafe nor rough on the inside, just the outside. They were just a wee bit busy to put in new cutters in their milling machines.

You are required to see "Enemy at the Gates" with your Mosin laying across your lap, with the lights low and shades pulled. I hear the Russians were building tanks and rolling them out of the factory without paint right into combat. Americans have never had to fight off an invading hoard of vicious killers like the Russians did with the nazi pondscum.

You must pay homage to the men & women who used these firearms in defense of their homeland. Its part and parcel of the stewardship of historical firearms.

Dutch

SciFiJim
12-20-2009, 02:28 AM
Dutch,
Thanks for the reply. I will make sure to ask for the hand picked option. I can order from AIM and pay shipping cheaper than I can buy locally.

Beekeeper
12-20-2009, 10:52 AM
SiFi Jim,
You might also look at J&G Sales.
I buy from them and have always had good luck.
I have bought 10 rifles from them and only got 1 I was disapointed with.
Sent it back and they sent me annother the next day.

Jim

Multigunner
12-20-2009, 01:42 PM
It is my historical experience that the extra for "hand pick" is usually worth it. I consider it just part of the price and I don't squeal about it. Ten to fifteen years ago most of the rifles from SOG in Ohio were graded and boxed by Century Arms. The boxes marked HP were the better condition rifles but the dudes at SOG never looked inside the boxes they just yanked them off the pile. I always paid for HP and was never really disappointed. AIM has a different method of doing "hand pick" which you might inquire about. But I'd still just consider it part of the price.

I got a very nice 91/30 from AIM about 18 months ago for my son-in-law. Brand new laminated stock. Never saw a drop of oil or a speck of grease. Beautiful bore, too. With c-r-ffl you pays yer money and you takes yer chances. That's always been the cruffler mantra and there's nothing changed now. If you want a better grade of curio/relic you'll have to buy from a private party or someplace like Empire Arms that photographs and describes extensively. You'll pay more but you'll get a much better firearm.

If you can still find 91/30 with laminated stocks BUY THEM NOW. They won't last and the laminated stocks are a much better stock than the solid birch.

Hex versus round receiver.. The hex are the older receivers. They're kinda cool. With round receivers you can get two basic types. The regular pre-WW2 receiver or the WW2 "high wall" and usually quite rough machining. Nothing wrong with the high wall rough machined receiver but the Russkies used very dull tool bits on the exterior. They're not unsafe nor rough on the inside, just the outside. They were just a wee bit busy to put in new cutters in their milling machines.

You are required to see "Enemy at the Gates" with your Mosin laying across your lap, with the lights low and shades pulled. I hear the Russians were building tanks and rolling them out of the factory without paint right into combat. Americans have never had to fight off an invading hoard of vicious killers like the Russians did with the nazi pondscum.

You must pay homage to the men & women who used these firearms in defense of their homeland. Its part and parcel of the stewardship of historical firearms.

Dutch

I've only experiance with one Hex receiver MN, one I helped a friend work on many years ago.
The Hex versions are every bit as nicely done as any contemporary rifle, at least that pre WW1 Tula was.
The flat sidewall offers advantages in working u a good scope mounting, the mounts for lever guns look promising.
One thing I found was that stiff bolts can usually be remedied by lapping the cam surfaces for cocking on up stroke. Once I lapped those bolt movement was slick and quick, especially when off the shoulder for rapid fire at close range.

The bore of that rifle was the worst I've yet seen but the rifle was still a good shooter with light loads. I worked up some light loads by pulling bullets and powder from old Chinese steel case ammo that still had good primers and replacing powder and bullets using the Hornady 150 gr .312 bullet and tried 760 and 4320, though I forget the charge weights.

Some don't like the trigger but I found this one to be pretty good.
Somewhere around here I may have a set of drawings and instructions on how the Russians modified the trigger for target shooting.

With the distinctive magazine interuptor the action can feed just about anything, though the mag box sides must be straightened for .30/06 conversions.

There have been actions modified to set the bolt handle back to the rear of the bolt. This was to allow use of mounts that had to otherwise interfere with the bolt handle.

The MN is one of those rifles I'd choose for a post apocalyptic scenario, they'll be soldiering on for another couple of centuries without need of much babying so long as good ammo can be found.

txpete
12-20-2009, 03:15 PM
+1 on getting laminate stocked ones as they are getting harder to find.I got this one from AIM 3 years ago.all the numbers match and this wasn't a HP rifle.I believe there handpick is the best of 5 rifles that is in stock.they pick and and you get the best of those.is it worth the extra 10.00 ??.I don't know.I have never recieved a beater from AIM.
pete
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/txpete/2007_0529k310003.jpg

Hip's Ax
12-20-2009, 05:39 PM
Dutch

[smilie=l:

I thought I was the only one!! I watched the movie with my PU on my lap!!

Your right about the WWII receivers, both of mine look like a beaver made them. They do shoot good though. :D