View Full Version : Need to know what to size 6.5x55 boolits to.

Crosshair
12-19-2009, 09:47 PM
Sorry, stupid question,

I'm trying to load boolits for my 6.5x55 Swede. I tried to get away with loading some unsized into dummy rounds, but they won't chamber when lubed and with gas check. (Hey, it was worth a shot.) They will chamber if unlubed, no gas check, and seated back into the case. The boolits measure at about .269. (Water dropped)

From what I have read, some have had luck getting oversized boolits like this to work, but they aren't gonna cut it here it looks like. I'm using the custom Midsouth Lee mold.

I need to get a sizer for 6.5. I'm going to order a custom sizer/sizers from Lee, but I need to know what size I should size them to. I have tried the search function, but don't find a definitive answer to that question.

If I need to order more than one die to try out then that is fine, I just need a range to work with. The best I have been able to find indicates to size to either .264 or .265. Would it be a safe bet to just get one of each and try them both out or should I just get the .265 die? these are going to be plinking loads, to save my supply of jacketed bullets, so I'm not going to be crying if I only get 3-4 moa out of these.

Thanks for your help.:coffeecom

12-19-2009, 11:02 PM
Crosshair,

You need to slug the barrel. Until you do, it's all guess work.

the_ursus
12-19-2009, 11:41 PM
Like 462 said, you need to run a soft slug through your barrel then take a measurement. Just do a search on "how to slug a barrel" and you should find plenty of info.

garandsrus
12-20-2009, 01:05 AM
Crosshair,

I size mine to .268 for a Swede in 6.5x55. If you would like, I can send you a couple sized boolits to check in your rifle.

I would recommend a sizing die from Buckshot (a member here) over Lee. The price will be cheaper, the turnaround faster, and the quality better.

John

mooman76
12-20-2009, 10:50 AM
Mine slugs out to .265 but like the others stated, you need to slug your bore to know for sure. Lee is big timed backorder so as the others stated get with Buckshot on a sizer, afteryou slug the barrel.

Crosshair
12-20-2009, 12:12 PM
Sorry, I knew I was forgetting to list something. Yes I slugged the bore. It measures .257 between the lands and .264-ish between the grooves. That is why I was leaning to the .265 sizer since it is a hair above .264 depending how you measure the slug. I did more than one just to double check.

I would recommend a sizing die from Buckshot (a member here) over Lee. The price will be cheaper, the turnaround faster, and the quality better.

I searched and don't see a listing for his services. I'll PM him.

Bret4207
12-21-2009, 08:35 AM
Just for kicks, take a case fired with a full power jacketed load and see what the inside diameter of the neck is. I'd aim for something real close to that diameter unless it's grossly over groove size.

sixpointfive
05-22-2013, 07:12 PM
how do I get in touch with buckshot?

cbrick
05-24-2013, 07:35 AM
Just do a member search for "Buckshot".

From his profile page click on "send PM"

Rick

sixpointfive
06-02-2013, 04:53 PM
Do you guys run these bullets water quenched WW's or towl dry?

David2011
06-03-2013, 01:14 PM
Crosshair,

Is your rifle a Model 96, other military or commercial? Have you done a chamber cast to see where the leade is? Commercial barrels may have a much shorter leade than a M96. With the increase in target use of .264 bullets you may be able to find a gunsmith to recut your leade if necessary. BTW- I have a Model 96 and a custom rifle built on a Model 98 action and love the 6.5x55.

David