PDA

View Full Version : Grip makers for Ruger BlackHawks.

Changeling
12-19-2009, 07:26 PM
Are the Freedom arms Revolver grips associated with the way the wood is styled/cut are is it also the internal grip frame as well?

My reason for asking is that they are really nice. I like them better than the grips on the Ruger BlackHawk, a lot better.

If the grip frames are different is there a way to get that feel by a custom grip maker?

I have some exhibition grade Coco Bolo and would love to have a set of grips made if something like this is possible to some extent at a decent price.

sixshot
12-19-2009, 09:37 PM
The grip frame on Freedom Arms guns are a Bisley style, not the same Bisley as Ruger or Colt but similiar. If your Blackhawk isn't a Bisley then you can't have someone make a set of stocks without replacing your frame with a Ruger Bisley frame first. Hope this helps. I make them for all the different Ruger frames.

Dick

Bullshop
12-19-2009, 11:17 PM
sixshot
What are you getting for SBH grips. I need two sets. Just want plain and simple as they come.
BIC/BS

sixshot
12-20-2009, 12:15 AM
Bullshop, PM sent.

Dick

timkelley
12-20-2009, 12:58 AM
Sixshot, do you advertise somewhere? I too would like to see some prices and some pictures. I am interested in Coco Bolo.

sixshot
12-20-2009, 02:20 AM
noclue, PM sent.

Dick

Changeling
12-20-2009, 04:39 PM
The grip frame on Freedom Arms guns are a Bisley style, not the same Bisley as Ruger or Colt but similiar. If your Blackhawk isn't a Bisley then you can't have someone make a set of stocks without replacing your frame with a Ruger Bisley frame first. Hope this helps. I make them for all the different Ruger frames.

Dick

Thanks sixshot, I was not absolutely sure that the standard BlackHawk grips couldn't be reconfigured in the making of a new set similar to the FA grips. I had to ask.

Do you have a website showing your grips?

buck1
12-20-2009, 04:48 PM
If you change to a bilsey grip frame, you have to change the hammer and trigger as well.
Also a ruger super black hawk has a longer frame than the black hawk and it will fit with out the hammer and trigger being changed.
Often a pair of over sized harretts grips help the blackhawk frame a lot. FWIW....Buck

Bass Ackward
12-20-2009, 05:35 PM
If you change to a bilsey grip frame, you have to change the hammer and trigger as well.
Also a ruger super black hawk has a longer frame than the black hawk and it will fit with out the hammer and trigger being changed.
Often a pair of over sized harretts grips help the blackhawk frame a lot. FWIW....Buck

Yep. If you can't get the grip that you want, you want the feel for what you have. Regardless, it simply HAS to fit YOUR hand.

http://www.herrett-stocks.com/

targetshootr
12-20-2009, 07:21 PM
Someone should make an FA-style grip frame that fits Rugers. I bet it would be popular but so far no one seems interested.

Dale53
12-21-2009, 02:22 AM
Herrett's used to offer a dandy grip for the early Ruger single actions. My brother has one for his Flattop .357. It has a filler behind the trigger guard, is nicely checkered and fits wonderfully well. Unfortunately, they no longer offer them:cry:.

They are VERY comfortable to shoot heavy loads and look VERY nice.

Hogue's has both rubber and wood grips with fillers behind the trigger guard for those with larger hands who also like less pain when shooting...

Dale53

Changeling
12-23-2009, 04:24 PM
Someone should make an FA-style grip frame that fits Rugers. I bet it would be popular but so far no one seems interested.

You got that right. Then if they would take a print/dimensions of your hand and cut to fit witch wouldn't be many options in a program, they would probably make a bundle.

Put me on the list, LOL. Heck I'm serious.:drinks: