PDA

View Full Version : Price of a new cylander for a Ruger 45 Colt?

Changeling
12-19-2009, 06:56 PM
This is a wondering type question.

What would it cost to have a new cylinder installed in a Ruger 45 LC with the proper dimensions correctly? I probably can't afford it but I wanted to ask.

Frozone
12-19-2009, 07:06 PM
I believe Ruger wants $50 but that's labor only. http://ruger.com/service/serviceFees.html

Changeling
12-19-2009, 07:47 PM
I believe Ruger wants $50 but that's labor only. http://ruger.com/service/serviceFees.html

NO, I don't mean for Ruger to do it since they can't seem to get there chambers right on the 45LC. I mean for someone to take a blank chamber or smaller like a .44 and bore it correctly. I really don't know how it's done, just that Ruger WON'T do it right.

outdoorfan
12-19-2009, 08:06 PM
If you're not looking for a factory replacement, then a custom jobber from the likes of Clements, Bowen, etc. would be in order. Check with them on prices.

9.3X62AL
12-19-2009, 08:34 PM
I hear ya, Changeling. Many makers of 45 Colts cut the chambers with pretty wide dimensions. I have taken to partial full-length sizing of cases for my Ruger Bishawk, about 1/3 the length of the case. Unless I'm really stomping on the gas, cases resized in this manner will still fit in all the charge holes for 5-6 reloadings. Cases last longer, too.

I've considered getting a bushing die of some kind, or having a steel sizer opened slightly to correspond more closely with the chambers in my revolver. Lots less working of the brass that way. For now, the partial F/L sizing works fine, but you are right--a cylinder cut to more snug standards is the right way to do things. I suspect that the 44 Special/Magnum perceived/actual accuracy advantage over the 45 Colt has much to do with the generous chambering standards used in 45 Colts.

NHlever
12-19-2009, 09:40 PM
Ruger is now making their cylinders using different methods than the ones they used for years. I would check a new one in a gun store with dial verniers before I wrote Ruger off completely.

44man
12-19-2009, 11:17 PM
Since Ruger has a habit of making throats too small on the .45, maybe it just needs reamed.
What are the dimensions of your throats?

Bass Ackward
12-20-2009, 10:16 AM
I suspect that the 44 Special/Magnum perceived/actual accuracy advantage over the 45 Colt has much to do with the generous chambering standards used in 45 Colts.

Yes, sort of. The biggest problem comparing accuracy as I see it is is wanting to shoot comparable weight bullets. Big difference in the length (bearing area) for a 250 grain 44 when compared to a 250 grain 45. More of a 44 slug can pass the forcing cone and be supported by the bore before the base breaks free of the cylinder and reacts to pressure. Plus the bands have to be narrower or weaker on a 45 to maintain the same weight and they still have to be strong enough to perform the same tasks.

Back in the 70s I line bore chamber one and no one knew about sloppy chambers then. SO it had great alignment but the same problems as factory guns. Being able to remove the forcing cone with the line bore method allowed the bullet to be supported better and lowered the impact velocity of the slug with the rifling. Thus making the narrower bands not have to resist deformation and rotate the cylinder into alignment and better able to rotate the slug when entering the rifling. Even with the sloppy chambers, accuracy was excellent and certainly every bit as good as a 44 which I now have that was configured the same way.

The accuracy comparison answer for factory guns is to go to heavier slugs for the 45 and seat the slug so that it goes up into the throat of the chamber better. This way, the throat maintains control and the alignment isn't dependent on what the back of the case (slop) is free to do or not do when you set it off. Much cheaper than a new cylinder.

rockrat
12-20-2009, 10:23 AM
Maybe have Ruger fit a 45acp cylinder to your gun, then have that one reamed to 45 colt

Dale53
12-20-2009, 12:55 PM
I'm happy with my Ruger .45 Colts (Bisley Vaquero and a SS Bisley .45 Colt/.45 ACP convertible). Both have been reamed (all three cylinders) and they ALL shoot very well.

I can't speak of 100 yard accuracy. That'll have to wait until spring. They sure do shoot well at 25 yards (under an 1" on demand). The .45 ACP cylinder works extremely well with 200 gr SWC's at target velocities. The Colt cylinders are shooting well with Lyman 452664 RF cast bullets and an NOE five cavity 454424 Keith SWC.

It'll be interesting this coming spring to try them at 100 yards AND with some heavier loads. I have some Lee 300 gr RF GC bullets cast up and am expecting great things of those.

FWIW
Dale53

McLintock
12-20-2009, 01:28 PM
Just answering your original question, it'd probably cost about $125 for a gunsmith with the reamer to ream a cylinder to .45 Colt. Then you'd have to find a suitable cylinder and it'd probably run $65-125, depending on what caliber you started with; .30 Carbines or .357's seem to be a lot cheaper than a .45 ACP or a .44 Mag. Then, you'd have to have a cylinder with the right demensions, OA length and stuff like that, so barrel cylinder gap and end shake are within limits. Cylinders that are too long in these areas can be fitted, but too short can be more of a problem to fit. Might want to explore what the previous posts have recommended first.
McLintock

Changeling
12-20-2009, 04:12 PM

First off Frozone I want to apologize to you for sounding like I was hollering at you, I wasn't, just bad writing on my part and a super bad day!

Thank you for the link to Ruger. I will write them and explain what they already in the Hell know and see if a new chambering job will be sloppy in the chamber and deficient in the throats one way or the other, big or small.

44man. Always nice to hear from you. I have a Lyman Dial Caliper that will measure to one thousandth. It had been lent out and is "SUPPOSED" to be returned yesterday but so far I haven't seen it. Not that I am sure I know how to use it correctly, I'm not a machinist. I bought it at one of those giant yard sale they have in Mt. Airy every year. Think I only paid 2 or 3 bucks for it brand new, however it is a Lyman. I'll post if I need advise, if it comes home today. Pain is really bad, probably why my temper is so on edge.

Pm me and let me know how Carol is doing with the Chiropractor treatments.

Rockrat- I might be wrong but I think the ACP cylinders are shorter than the 45 colt cylinders.
I remember from another post that the guys with dual cylinders (Like Dale53) have been getting better accuracy from them than there Colt cylinders, wonder why, LOL.

To everyone, thanks for all the input, I wouldn't have made it this far with out the help of you guys.

2 dogs
12-20-2009, 04:15 PM
The easiest route would be to find a 44 mag take off cylinder usually for about 50 to 75 bucks. It would cost about 150 to have it rechambered. Your barrel may or may not have to be set back so that would be an additional cost.

Bucks Owin
12-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Ruger is NOT going to give you a cylinder dimensioned to Linebaugh specs if that's what you're wondering. And "so far as I know" he builds oversize .45 Colt cylinders, not reamed out .44 SBH for the 6 shot guns. I may be wrong on that though. Of course his "big dog" .45 Colt is a 5 shot conversion that'll rival the .454 Casull. If your charge holes/throats are way fat like 70's .45 BHs then Ruger "may" give you another LC cylinder free. I've heard of them doing that for those guns. But that's not the latest trend, (as I hear it, haven't measured any) now they have gone the opposite way and tightened up a little too much in the throats, which is a GOOD thing. THAT can be easily fixed. FOR SURE I wouldn't phone them and tell 'em they don't know how to build a .45 Colt or "what they already in the hell know"! They'll think you're some kid that's been reading too much Linebaugh...(Even though I agree with him too!) Hope you're feeling better soon pal. FWIW, Dennis ;) (BTW, have you gotten your .45 "in hand" yet to measure the throats or do any shooting? May not even need any mods! (44man will get you sorted out I'm sure). Also, the .45 ACP "cartridge" is shorter yes, not the cylinder. (how could it fit otherwise? ;) )

Dale53
12-20-2009, 06:48 PM
>>>I remember from another post that the guys with dual cylinders (Like Dale53) have been getting better accuracy from them than there Colt cylinders, wonder why, LOL.<<<

The cylinders on the convertibles are the exact same length. The difference between my .45 Colt cylinder and .45 ACP cylinder is statistically minor. BOTH are FINE after both of their throats were reamed to .4525" with the Manson reamer "kit".

My take is that the smaller capacity .45 ACP case is somewhat easier to get a good load with light target loads (the powder position has less effect) than the larger case. I really have not shot either cylinder a great deal as I just recently got this revolver. However, I am MUCH impressed with the package.

Just wanted to make that clear so no one is getting the wrong idea.

Dale53

NHlever
12-20-2009, 09:20 PM
The chamber throats on the last 3 .45 Colt Blackhawks I have checked have been right at .452, or a hair larger. The .452 boolits that I have cast will push easily through, but not fall through the throats on my new .45 Colt / .45 ACP convertable. The 45 ACP chamber throats are more like .4515.

Changeling
12-24-2009, 04:37 PM
>>>I remember from another post that the guys with dual cylinders (Like Dale53) have been getting better accuracy from them than there Colt cylinders, wonder why, LOL.<<<

The cylinders on the convertibles are the exact same length. The difference between my .45 Colt cylinder and .45 ACP cylinder is statistically minor. BOTH are FINE after both of their throats were reamed to .4525" with the Manson reamer "kit".

My take is that the smaller capacity .45 ACP case is somewhat easier to get a good load with light target loads (the powder position has less effect) than the larger case. I really have not shot either cylinder a great deal as I just recently got this revolver. However, I am MUCH impressed with the package.

Just wanted to make that clear so no one is getting the wrong idea.

Dale53

Thank you for correcting me, I was sure that I had read the cylinders were different lengths, my apolagies.
I do however remember that several guys had said that there ACP cylinders were giving better accuracy. It could very well have been the smaller capacity case but it could also have meant the ACP case being smaller wasn't affected by such great case expansion as the 45 Colt case, I hope you can see this point.

jh45gun
12-24-2009, 06:04 PM
I wouldn't phone them and tell 'em they don't know how to build a .45 Colt or "what they already in the hell know"! )

Why Not maybe a few folks SHOULD!

44man
12-25-2009, 10:39 AM
First off Frozone I want to apologize to you for sounding like I was hollering at you, I wasn't, just bad writing on my part and a super bad day!

Thank you for the link to Ruger. I will write them and explain what they already in the Hell know and see if a new chambering job will be sloppy in the chamber and deficient in the throats one way or the other, big or small.

44man. Always nice to hear from you. I have a Lyman Dial Caliper that will measure to one thousandth. It had been lent out and is "SUPPOSED" to be returned yesterday but so far I haven't seen it. Not that I am sure I know how to use it correctly, I'm not a machinist. I bought it at one of those giant yard sale they have in Mt. Airy every year. Think I only paid 2 or 3 bucks for it brand new, however it is a Lyman. I'll post if I need advise, if it comes home today. Pain is really bad, probably why my temper is so on edge.

Pm me and let me know how Carol is doing with the Chiropractor treatments.

Rockrat- I might be wrong but I think the ACP cylinders are shorter than the 45 colt cylinders.
I remember from another post that the guys with dual cylinders (Like Dale53) have been getting better accuracy from them than there Colt cylinders, wonder why, LOL.

To everyone, thanks for all the input, I wouldn't have made it this far with out the help of you guys.
Carol is doing better but it really takes a lot of my time having to take her to Martinsburg four days a week.
I have the .45 throat reamer if yours are under size. If I remember with my old brain, you live in Frederick. Free reaming if you bring the gun. I usually charge enough to cover costs and postage eats at my retirement but when a friend can walk in the door, I might charge a cheap bottle! That should cover a trigger job too.
Can I make a .45 Colt shoot?
I know guys, old picture but many deer have fallen to this revolver since. Oh yeah, that is 50 yards>

44man
12-25-2009, 11:14 AM
I can slug your gun too if you want me to. I also have a boolit you might like.
I do all I can and have friends all over the country. As long as it does not actually cost me money and expenses are covered because I am retired, all is OK. Most include a little extra money and I am grateful but I am not out to make a profit.
My goal is to calm you down, keep you from spending money you don't need to, help make your guns shoot the best and most important of all, to make friends.
But boy oh boy, have I stirred up a hornets nest on the single action forum again! :drinks: I love that place, the guys are so easy to stir up. They hate me and call me a liar with the groups I shoot. I even had one jerk call my friend a "boyfriend". Well it was Whitworth he was talking about, a former Marine, worked for Blackwater, works for the NRA now and is one of the best shots I ever seen.
Were those guys born in a gay bar? :bigsmyl2:
Sneak in there under a different name and have fun.

StarMetal
12-25-2009, 11:15 AM
44man Jim,

What revolver caliber did you start with? That is seriously, not like you started with a 22 rf when young. Which one did you really start shooting a lot and get serious with.

Joe

44man
12-25-2009, 12:56 PM
44man Jim,

What revolver caliber did you start with? That is seriously, not like you started with a 22 rf when young. Which one did you really start shooting a lot and get serious with.

Joe
I would say, if I remember, the .357. Then the .44 came out so the .357 was sold. It was an 8-3/8" S&W, ribbed barrel with the old original pistol scope on it. I think it was the Bushnell, been a long time. But I could hit those little frozen juice cans at 100 yards from prone with the 358156 boolit. My flat top Ruger was wonderful and I took hair off a running chuck at over 500 yards once. It was a steady progression with the .44 and I owned many, many model 29's and Rugers over the years. It was IHMSA that made me look for accuracy. Finding out it was brass and dies that was the problem with poor consistency changed everything for me. Much work was done with seating pressure and case tension, special bench rest dies made while working with a custom BR die maker. I made the seating pressure measuring tools for my press.
I found the old RCBS dies made bad loads and tested many other dies but revolver accuracy was not in die makers vision. Then I tried the Hornady dies and they were good enough to set aside the BR dies. Maybe they are not as good but they are easy to use.
Then I read the story about the MOA revolver and the thousands spent on it. I thought to myself---HEY, I was doing that in 1953 or so with out of box revolvers! :Fire: And I do it all the time at 100 yards if I do my job. My SRH would hit beer cans at 200 yards from a rest.
Then I bought the BFR 45-70, bought some J word bullets, made some molds and can hit steel to 500 meters.
Then I bought the BFR .475 and fell in love with the caliber.
Yes I have owned many .22's and the best has been the old $37.50 Ruger Mark I up through the Mark II's. I have two left, a 10" silhouette model and a slab side target in stainless. I won Ohio state with my Ruger with 57 out of 60 and had no sight settings at the start but had a good spotter. I missed the first pig, turkey and ram but my spotter seen the hits so I could adjust the sight.
I learned a lot about what a revolver needs but it took many, many years. All I want to do is to promote what a wonderful gun it really is and to make all of you shoot it to it's full potential.
Many take me wrong and think I am bragging, not so, I want to show what all of you can do if you do it right and I will do all I can to help.
Joe, what you do at the loading bench is where it is at. The best shot in the world can not make bad loads hit anything but even a beginner can get better if the loads are accurate.
I can not make anyone lose fear of recoil or stop flinching so there are limits. Everyone needs to do work to overcome these things on their own.
I will never tell a guy that a revolver is easy to shoot. Someone that is afraid of the gun will never put to use any information.
My pet peeve is when someone says to make the boolit softer so it "obturates". I do not even do that with pure lead in a cap and ball, I make the ball fit first.

StarMetal
12-25-2009, 01:15 PM
Jim,

About all I have against the Hornady die, specifically the pistol/revolver dies, is that on their expander die you can't remove the expander even to clean it, alone polish or reduce it's size if needed. On some of the rifle dies they don't size the necks down far enough for a jacketed bullet, alone a cast one. My offending set is for the 7.65 Argentine.

Leaving out the quality of the reloads I've found the single largest factor for accurate shooting is the quality of the trigger. Thus all my handguns and rifles have tuned triggers. If you have a revolver with a god awful trigger you're going to have a hard time getting good accuracy results with it. Next throw in the sights. You must have good sights and ones that are not loose. Next you must have a good set of grips on the gun. They can't be too large or too small to give you a good consistent hold on the gun. It also matters how you rest the gun...that is if you rest them shooting off the bench.

My first two guns that I got serious with are my Old Model Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt and my Model 19 Smith 357 mag. I've awed a lot of people with the Model 19 and lots of that had to do that it has the 4 inch barrel. I have a very good friend I done all my shooting with in Tulsa, Ok when I lived there. His name is Mike. If you were to call him and ask him if he knows Joe Starmetal (he'd begin laughing at that point because he knows what you are going to ask him) and ask him how far could he hit you using his Model 19 Smith and he would tell you as far as I could see you. That revolver has been sitting in the safe a long time and yesterday I took it out and shot it. What a really nice revolver the older Model 19's are. The Blackhawk I don't shoot nearly as much anymore. At first nearly all my shooting with it was with the 45 Colt cylinder. Lately, when I do shoot it, I shoot the 45 acp cylinder. It's wonderfully accurate with that 45 acp. If I'm wanting 45 Colt accuracy then I turn to my 8 3/8 barreled Model 25 Smith. I have honest to God not found any bullet that revolver won't shoot accurately jacketed or cast. I found the same strange thing with my 30-40 Krag too.

With a decent gun, good reloads, and lots and lots of shooting time, one can become extremely good with his handgun.

Joe

44man
12-25-2009, 02:14 PM
Jim,

About all I have against the Hornady die, specifically the pistol/revolver dies, is that on their expander die you can't remove the expander even to clean it, alone polish or reduce it's size if needed. On some of the rifle dies they don't size the necks down far enough for a jacketed bullet, alone a cast one. My offending set is for the 7.65 Argentine.

Leaving out the quality of the reloads I've found the single largest factor for accurate shooting is the quality of the trigger. Thus all my handguns and rifles have tuned triggers. If you have a revolver with a god awful trigger you're going to have a hard time getting good accuracy results with it. Next throw in the sights. You must have good sights and ones that are not loose. Next you must have a good set of grips on the gun. They can't be too large or too small to give you a good consistent hold on the gun. It also matters how you rest the gun...that is if you rest them shooting off the bench.

My first two guns that I got serious with are my Old Model Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt and my Model 19 Smith 357 mag. I've awed a lot of people with the Model 19 and lots of that had to do that it has the 4 inch barrel. I have a very good friend I done all my shooting with in Tulsa, Ok when I lived there. His name is Mike. If you were to call him and ask him if he knows Joe Starmetal (he'd begin laughing at that point because he knows what you are going to ask him) and ask him how far could he hit you using his Model 19 Smith and he would tell you as far as I could see you. That revolver has been sitting in the safe a long time and yesterday I took it out and shot it. What a really nice revolver the older Model 19's are. The Blackhawk I don't shoot nearly as much anymore. At first nearly all my shooting with it was with the 45 Colt cylinder. Lately, when I do shoot it, I shoot the 45 acp cylinder. It's wonderfully accurate with that 45 acp. If I'm wanting 45 Colt accuracy then I turn to my 8 3/8 barreled Model 25 Smith. I have honest to God not found any bullet that revolver won't shoot accurately jacketed or cast. I found the same strange thing with my 30-40 Krag too.

With a decent gun, good reloads, and lots and lots of shooting time, one can become extremely good with his handgun.

Joe
You are right about the expander not coming out but it is the right size. I don't worry about it.
Everything else is right too and I like good triggers. None of my revolvers go much over 1-1/2#.
I used to be able to shoot Ruger open sights but now I need a red dot for hunting. I still pop a deer now and then with my Vaquero but it is hard to see open sights.
I turned 72 on the 18th so forgive my red dots! :veryconfu I left my eyes in some drawer and can't find them.
I never doubt how you shoot, I have been there and done that and have been called a liar too many times. Like the time I shot 5 shots in 1/4" at 350 yards with my .220 Swift and head shot chucks to over 600 yards with it.
Tell what you have done, I will never call you a liar because we have REALLY done it. What memories I have from the old days, what I thought was normal is a complete mystery to shooters these days.
Except to our modern military snipers that have taken things to a level I admire to no end.

StarMetal
12-25-2009, 03:27 PM
You are right about the expander not coming out but it is the right size. I don't worry about it.
Everything else is right too and I like good triggers. None of my revolvers go much over 1-1/2#.
I used to be able to shoot Ruger open sights but now I need a red dot for hunting. I still pop a deer now and then with my Vaquero but it is hard to see open sights.
I turned 72 on the 18th so forgive my red dots! :veryconfu I left my eyes in some drawer and can't find them.
I never doubt how you shoot, I have been there and done that and have been called a liar too many times. Like the time I shot 5 shots in 1/4" at 350 yards with my .220 Swift and head shot chucks to over 600 yards with it.
Tell what you have done, I will never call you a liar because we have REALLY done it. What memories I have from the old days, what I thought was normal is a complete mystery to shooters these days.
Except to our modern military snipers that have taken things to a level I admire to no end.

Jim,

You don't have even have to mention about your eyes. I'm there too buddy and I'm sure many other members are. Sure sucks having to put some kind of optical scope on firearms that don't really require them. It's even harder to see those sights in the darker woods too, not to add what back ground you have them set against. You do better then dang good for your age Jim...keep it up.

Joe

Changeling
12-25-2009, 04:02 PM
Carol is doing better but it really takes a lot of my time having to take her to Martinsburg four days a week.
I have the .45 throat reamer if yours are under size. If I remember with my old brain, you live in Frederick. Free reaming if you bring the gun. I usually charge enough to cover costs and postage eats at my retirement but when a friend can walk in the door, I might charge a cheap bottle! That should cover a trigger job too.
Can I make a .45 Colt shoot?
I know guys, old picture but many deer have fallen to this revolver since. Oh yeah, that is 50 yards>

There is not a doubt in my mind that you can make it shoot and no doubts have ever entered my mind, I haven't forgotten your kind offer and I still plan on getting you in a head lock if you try to get out of it, LOL. Don't worry about the bottle, I have 1/3 of a bottle of Boone's Farm left over.

However I am in no hurry. My "pain" would keep me from doing anything with it if it was completed right now. So I am removing a barrel FULL of lead/copper from it and the cylinder right now. Soaking it in Shooters Choice then scrubbing it out every 3 to 4 days. Slow but effective.

Besides there is no way in hell I'm going to put this in your hands right now. Your plate is about as full as it's going to get relative to me right now. When Carol gets through her treatments and things slow down for you, then I'll start bugging you!.:smile:

Bucks Owin
12-25-2009, 04:36 PM
But boy oh boy, have I stirred up a hornets nest on the single action forum again! :drinks: I love that place, the guys are so easy to stir up. They hate me and call me a liar with the groups I shoot.
Well pard, theres no doubt in my mind about those groups and your handgun savvy shows in every post. Thing is I expect, some folks don't or won't spend the trigger time it takes to be able to achieve tiny groups. They figure shooting from a benchrest is easy and anyone can do it if they just spend enough money on equipment. We know better! I'm a relative newcomer to handgun shooting, only been at it for 20 yrs or so and I expect my "glory days" may be over at the bench anyway with my cloudy eyes and shaky nerves. But I've been in pursuit of the elusive "one hole group" with rifles for 40+ years and can remember feeling PO'ed with a 3/4" group @ 100 yds when I had fired -1/2" the week before. But that's the itch with benchresting and you can never scratch it enough. You know what I mean ;) Keep shooting them cloverleafs 44man, they inspire the rest of us pistoleros!....FWIW, Dennis (who's rambling off topic as usual...:violin: )

Changeling
12-25-2009, 04:45 PM
I can slug your gun too if you want me to. I also have a boolit you might like.
I do all I can and have friends all over the country. As long as it does not actually cost me money and expenses are covered because I am retired, all is OK. Most include a little extra money and I am grateful but I am not out to make a profit.
My goal is to calm you down, keep you from spending money you don't need to, help make your guns shoot the best and most important of all, to make friends.
But boy oh boy, have I stirred up a hornets nest on the single action forum again! :drinks: I love that place, the guys are so easy to stir up. They hate me and call me a liar with the groups I shoot. I even had one jerk call my friend a "boyfriend". Well it was Whitworth he was talking about, a former Marine, worked for Blackwater, works for the NRA now and is one of the best shots I ever seen.
Were those guys born in a gay bar? :bigsmyl2:
Sneak in there under a different name and have fun.

You mean to tell me some one had the stupidity to call Whitworth a gay!

I remember seeing a picture of Whitworth when you guys were showing individual pictures of the deer you had shot. That guy didn't need a revolver, from the size of him, he could have thrown a dam rock, or stared at it !
I would give a $100.00 to see him walk in on that guy and just say " Hi I'm Whitworth, what was it you called me", LOL, can you say, Blood Shot Meat, LOLAL!!!!

44man
12-26-2009, 12:54 AM
Yeah, he is big and one hell of a good person.
He shoots guns that scare me like the .500 Alasken and his new .500 Linebaugh in a lightened SRH.
Yeah, he will talk me into shooting them! :veryconfu
I might post a picture of a broken knuckle! :bigsmyl2:

9.3X62AL
12-26-2009, 06:10 PM
Bass--

Sorry for delayed response, but what you say makes a lot of sense.

And you are correct--my #454424 castings seem short and squatty compared to the #429421s, even though they are only 2-3 grains' difference in weight. I wonder if the same thing that occurs with the short 38 Special bullets (110-125 grains) isn't taking place with the 240-250 grainers in 45 Colt.

Dale53
12-26-2009, 08:42 PM
I have often thought that the RCBS 270 gr SWC may be the answer for us that shoot .45 Colts (I am really a .44 "kind of guy" but am being dragged "kicking and screaming" into the .45 Colt arena). Dave Scoville, the designer of this bullet, no doubt, saw the same things we do and this bullet is the result. Elmer Keith even wrote that he wasn't happy with the 454424 but was trying to hold weight near the factory bullet so it would shoot to POA with all of the fixed sighted Colt SAA's out there. Don't forget, EVERYTHING, is a compromise...

I am presently happy with my NOE 454424 bullet as I intend to check it out in the 625 .45 ACP's, also. The RCBS 270 (actual weight is reportedly closer to 285 grs) is certainly more bullet than I want to use in my .45 ACP revolvers.

In the .45 Colt tho', I suspect it (the RCBS 270 gr SWC) would be my first choice, if I had my druthers. Maybe sometime down the road I may give it a try.

Dale53

Bucks Owin
12-27-2009, 02:15 PM
In the .45 Colt tho', I suspect it (the RCBS 270 gr SWC) would be my first choice, if I had my druthers. Maybe sometime down the road I may give it a try.

Dale53
Another forum member and I are soon to be hot on the trail of an accurate load with this projectile. I'll share the results.....Dennis

Skipper
12-27-2009, 03:41 PM
Price of a new cylinder for a Ruger 45 Colt?

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=8&categoryId=19541&categoryString=649***20766***9142***19532***

Changeling
12-27-2009, 04:17 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=8&categoryId=19541&categoryString=649***20766***9142***19532***

Thanks for the link skipper. I'll sell the revolver before I pay that much, plus installation, "If I have to", and buy a new one.
Wow, why didn't my mama teach me how to run a lath/milling machine/whatever it takes, LOL.

I would really like to have the 5 shot but that is totally ridiculous as for price, in my opinion.

Changeling
12-27-2009, 05:01 PM
Bass--

And you are correct--my #454424 castings seem short and squatty compared to the #429421s, even though they are only 2-3 grains' difference in weight. I wonder if the same thing that occurs with the short 38 Special bullets (110-125 grains) isn't taking place with the 240-250 grainers in 45 Colt.

9.3x62AL, check out this page of "Fryxell" the guy seems to know what he is talking about. Other then that I don't really know who he is.

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell45KeithSWC.htm

This is why I chose for my Keith style bullet the RCBS 255-SWC, he also talks about the RCBS 270-SWC and others. Check out the overall lengths and ogive's and meplats of the various bullets (he gives the stats). Very interesting to me. Let me know what you think.:coffee:

MtGun44
12-27-2009, 06:38 PM
Glen Fryxell knows what he is talking about.

It isn't clear to me what the problem with the factory cylinder is. If it is tight throats,
a very common Ruger situation, this is easily and cheaply fixed. Is there some
other problem with your cylinder? If so, why not give Ruger a try at fixing it?
I have had excellent results with their customer service on the very few times that I
had a problem with one of my many Ruger pistols and rifles.

Bill

Changeling
12-27-2009, 07:53 PM
Bass--

9.3x62AL, check out this page of "Fryxell" the guy seems to know what he is talking about. Other then that I don't really know who he is.

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell45KeithSWC.htm

This is why I chose for my Keith style bullet the RCBS 255-SWC, he also talks about the RCBS 270-SWC and others. Check out the overall lengths and ogive's and meplats of the various bullets (he gives the stats). Very interesting to me. Let me know what you think.:coffee:

9.3X62AL
12-27-2009, 08:12 PM
To concur with Mtn Gun, I suspect Glen Fryxell has forgotten more than I'll ever know about cast boolits and revolvers. HE DA MAN!

The #454424s I have (2) are an Ideal single cavity and a Lyman 2-banger. Castings from both vary from one another markedly, and most of my shooting gets done with the Lyman mould pourings. It is actually marked a "452454", but the castings fall out at a fat .454" in WW metal that just cleans up at .454"/verified. They have the radiused lube groove.

The RCBS SWC seems like a better first choice, and I might grab one some day. The Lymans shoot pretty well, though, and fall out fat enough to fit. To borrow from Mr. Fryxell, I don't think a deer will know the difference between the castings, if they are well-placed.

Changeling
12-30-2009, 04:10 PM
That last sentence is a very good point. However there is the problem of getting them to that point.

MtGun44, The problem with the cylinder was my paranoia! When I saw the inside condition of the bore and cylinder I just jumped to conclusions and thought I would be needing a new one. On the last soaking it looks like the cylinder will come out ok, except that it will get a reaming to make perfect.

The bore, I don't know yet, it's that bad, plus it will need slugging once can get it clean. Sorry for the late answer.

MtGun44
12-31-2009, 02:01 AM
No problem. I've been traveling, and we all have a lot on our plates (literally and
figuratively!) this time of year.

So I guess the gun was rusted up. What a shame! Hope you get it all sorted out.
If the bbl is beyond saving, I think Ruger does this cheap if they don't do it for free.
For any sort of normal problem, they are free. Can't imagine them doing a rusted
bbl for free (warrantee), but they might bite.

Bill

Changeling
12-31-2009, 05:03 PM
No problem. I've been traveling, and we all have a lot on our plates (literally and
figuratively!) this time of year.

So I guess the gun was rusted up. What a shame! Hope you get it all sorted out.
If the bbl is beyond saving, I think Ruger does this cheap if they don't do it for free.
For any sort of normal problem, they are free. Can't imagine them doing a rusted
bbl for free (warrantee), but they might bite.

Bill

No Bill, it's not rusted, it's stainless steel. What I meant about condition was the the barrel/cylinder had evidently never been cleaned I don't think. I really believe they just shot it till it quit, then they quit. It's been soaking in Shooters Choice to remove the fouling for over a week now between 3 cleanings and reapplying and it's still loaded with layers of lead and copper.

When I first started looking at it I became so paranoid I just started thinking I would probably need a new cylinder and barrel, it doesn't look that way now.

44man
12-31-2009, 05:46 PM
No Bill, it's not rusted, it's stainless steel. What I meant about condition was the the barrel/cylinder had evidently never been cleaned I don't think. I really believe they just shot it till it quit, then they quit. It's been soaking in Shooters Choice to remove the fouling for over a week now between 3 cleanings and reapplying and it's still loaded with layers of lead and copper.

When I first started looking at it I became so paranoid I just started thinking I would probably need a new cylinder and barrel, it doesn't look that way now.
I am glad to hear that. Too many buy commercial boolits and interchange them with jacketed, over and over. Many buy those dead soft, under size, swaged things too.
There are just all kinds that buy guns and expect to do anything they want with anything they can buy. Then they use a slotted rod end with a loose patch to clean them.
The general population just want to make noise! :mrgreen:

Changeling
12-31-2009, 06:31 PM
I am glad to hear that. Too many buy commercial boolits and interchange them with jacketed, over and over. Many buy those dead soft, under size, swaged things too.
There are just all kinds that buy guns and expect to do anything they want with anything they can buy. Then they use a slotted rod end with a loose patch to clean them.
The general population just want to make noise! :mrgreen:

HAPPY NEW YEAR, I wish that guy could hear all this, hope he enjoyed the noise because I have the 45 now. I've been around guns my whole life but I have never seen anything like this. Outside looks as new. Inside, you're right, it's been fed everything under the sun. Anyway, its a matter of time, I'll get it all out, then we'll see.

MtGun44
12-31-2009, 10:33 PM
For lots of metal fouling build up, nothing beats the electrochemical cleaners like
Foul Out. I have done some old milsurps that were like doing an archeological dig
into the barrel. Nickel leaves yellow color in the electrolyte, rust is red, copper is
blue. Layers of non-conducting black carbon junk between layers of different kinds
of metal fouling. Peeled them back one at a time, then cleaned out the carbon with
standard solvents and brass brushes, then back to the electro . . . . . . again and again.

There was a really nice bore underneath all that garbage on a few of them, less so on
others. Each shot better.

Bill

Changeling
01-01-2010, 03:12 PM
For lots of metal fouling build up, nothing beats the electrochemical cleaners like
Foul Out. I have done some old milsurps that were like doing an archeological dig
into the barrel. Nickel leaves yellow color in the electrolyte, rust is red, copper is
blue. Layers of non-conducting black carbon junk between layers of different kinds
of metal fouling. Peeled them back one at a time, then cleaned out the carbon with
standard solvents and brass brushes, then back to the electro . . . . . . again and again.

There was a really nice bore underneath all that garbage on a few of them, less so on
others. Each shot better.

Bill

Hi Bill, tell me about it, LOL. I'll just keep at it with the SC, as you said "one layer at a time" eventually I'll get it all.
I know some people use ammonia and I hear it does a really good job. However I won't let ammonia come into my house, it can be some really dangerous stuff, even deadly!

Railbuggy
01-10-2010, 10:13 AM
I picked up a bearly shot Ruger BH with a 5.5 barrel made in 93.The owner said he got it years ago to Bear hunt in Canada but they said no?It is a one cylinder
45 colt model.After mass googling on this model,I find that my throats are .449.
I don't have the link,but I read that Ruger would ream and fit a new cylinder to your frame for $175?I just ordered brass and dies from Wideners friday.I had planed to shoot Lee 200gr SWC and Lee 230gr LRN-2R ogive.I will shoot it first with my reloads before I look for a cylindersmith.:coffee:

Dale53
01-10-2010, 01:53 PM
Just pack up your cylinder and send it to:

www.cylindersmith.com

Check out his web site. After I reamed my cylinders accuracy is excellent and NO leading.

Dale53

Railbuggy
01-11-2010, 09:53 AM
Thanks Dale53,After a test ride I'll send in my cylinder.
RB

2shot
01-11-2010, 11:08 AM
Changeling;

I have a S&W 14 that fouls the cylinder throats badly with just a quick NRA gallery course match. I have found that when I mix Shooters Choice and Kroil half and half that it works much better that straight Shooters Choice. If I soak my cylinder with a liberal amount of this mix and come back the next day the fouling drops out in chunks.

It sounds like you're well on your way to getting the cylinder clean but I thought I would mention the SC and Kriol mix just in case you never heard of it.

2shot

Changeling
01-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Changeling;

I have a S&W 14 that fouls the cylinder throats badly with just a quick NRA gallery course match. I have found that when I mix Shooters Choice and Kroil half and half that it works much better that straight Shooters Choice. If I soak my cylinder with a liberal amount of this mix and come back the next day the fouling drops out in chunks.

It sounds like you're well on your way to getting the cylinder clean but I thought I would mention the SC and Kriol mix just in case you never heard of it.

2shot

Isn't Kriol just a penetrating type oil? How does it help with removing lead and copper fouling? Not saying it won't just trying to understand how.

2shot
01-11-2010, 03:15 PM
Sorry, I'm not a chemist but I do know that it does work. On my S&W 14 straight Shooters Choice got the job done but it took a while. The half and half mix of SC and Kroil worked much faster and the fouling comes out in chunks that I can see with my eyes. Heck I didn't believe that it would work on boolit moulds either until I tried it and it does what others claim, faster useable bullets from cold moulds, Don't know why it works though.

Maybe some of our most scientificy minded people could chime in and tell us why it works because I have no idea.

2shot

Lloyd Smale
01-11-2010, 03:51 PM
i agree totaly. I am in constant search for the majic 255 colt bullet. Swcs in 44 that shoot well are a dime a dozen but not 45s. Seems every one either shoots well close up and terrible long range or just the oposite. Now move up to 300 grain 45s and its not a problem. They probably use the same twist as a 44 with its longer per weight bullets. Bottom line is the 45 is a more finiky round to load for. Having your chambers opened up will help but its sure no guarantee of accuracy either. Ive talked about this with quite a few knowagble shooters and to a man they will all tell you the 44 is much easier to load for. Seems ever 44 ruger shoots like a house afire and 45 colts either shoot fair or poor without a ton of load development.
Yes, sort of. The biggest problem comparing accuracy as I see it is is wanting to shoot comparable weight bullets. Big difference in the length (bearing area) for a 250 grain 44 when compared to a 250 grain 45. More of a 44 slug can pass the forcing cone and be supported by the bore before the base breaks free of the cylinder and reacts to pressure. Plus the bands have to be narrower or weaker on a 45 to maintain the same weight and they still have to be strong enough to perform the same tasks.

Back in the 70s I line bore chamber one and no one knew about sloppy chambers then. SO it had great alignment but the same problems as factory guns. Being able to remove the forcing cone with the line bore method allowed the bullet to be supported better and lowered the impact velocity of the slug with the rifling. Thus making the narrower bands not have to resist deformation and rotate the cylinder into alignment and better able to rotate the slug when entering the rifling. Even with the sloppy chambers, accuracy was excellent and certainly every bit as good as a 44 which I now have that was configured the same way.

The accuracy comparison answer for factory guns is to go to heavier slugs for the 45 and seat the slug so that it goes up into the throat of the chamber better. This way, the throat maintains control and the alignment isn't dependent on what the back of the case (slop) is free to do or not do when you set it off. Much cheaper than a new cylinder.