PDA

View Full Version : 45Schofield or 45Special?

2ndAmendmentNut
12-19-2009, 06:20 PM
Want to start shooting some lighter BP loads in my 45Colts, and found that I really hate using wads/fillers. Which cases do you like better and why? Oh, and I will be most likely using a Lyman 454190 boolit.

Thanks.

Chihuahua Floyd
12-19-2009, 08:17 PM
I have never tried the Schofield brass, I went straight to the 45 Cowboy Special. For BP, or subs, I really like the brass. Loads are comfortable, no fillers needed.
Lee TL452-200-SWC bullet, LLA lube, dipper made from a 40S&W case of APP, LP primer. Plenty of smoke, little recoil, prep with 45 Colt sizing die and Lyman M expander die, seat bullet with seat/crimp die from 45 ACP set. I have had no problems of bullets jumping crimp, I would like a roll crimp, but the taper crimp holds just fine.
YMMV
CF

2ndAmendmentNut
12-19-2009, 09:27 PM
This is high jacking my own thread, but you use LLA with BP? I would have thought that would cause some serious goop in the barrel.

mooman76
12-20-2009, 10:42 AM
This (LLA in BP)has been of some discusion here. Some report no problems and other have. From my take on it from hearing what others have reported, the ones that had problems were the ones that shot alot between cleanings had problems. I myself prefere to not push the issue and I use a lub meant for BP.

Springfield
12-20-2009, 02:51 PM
The 454190 is a decent size bullet, I prefer to use Schofield brass. That way I can also run them through my rifle without a special carrier. Brass is also much easier to find. If you were using a very light bullet and going for light recoil in a pistol then maybe the 45 CS brass woud be a better choice, but since you are shooting a 250 grain bullet I figured that was not what you were looking for. With the 454190 you will only be able to get about 15 grains in there. That is the same bullet I run with my 45 auto when I shoot Wild Bunch with BP(yes, I shoot BP in my 45auto).

Grapeshot
12-23-2009, 07:32 PM
Want to start shooting some lighter BP loads in my 45Colts, and found that I really hate using wads/fillers. Which cases do you like better and why? Oh, and I will be most likely using a Lyman 454190 boolit.

Thanks.

I prefer the .45 S&W Schofield cases loaded with 25 to 28 grains of Goex 2Fg or the equivalent volume of Pyrodex-P or APP/Pinacle and a 230 grain RN cast bullet. The only Schofield cases out there are made by Starline.

I have also used the 25 grain charge of 2Fg and a 250 grain PRS big lube boolit and like them as well. I prefer the heavier bullet with the single large lubricant groove ar one with multiple lube grooves.

When I had a 1858 remington and an R&D conversion cylinder, I found that shortening the .45 Colt cases to Schofield length and using aLyman 452389, 185 grain .452 wadcutter gave me a better group and POA was closer to POI than using any of the heavier bullets.

StrawHat
12-24-2009, 07:47 AM

Thanks.

I use the Schofield case but only because I found a deal on 500 of them. I have used 454424 and similar in them. Also the Collar Button bullet.

If I had acces to the 45 Special, I would probably like that one also.

cajun shooter
12-24-2009, 11:17 AM
I have been loading and shooting the 45 Schofield in my 45 USFA's for about 18 months now. For CAS they are the perfect answer when loaded with a bullet in the 200gr range. You can load them full of 2F with a little compression and still have a "Warthog Load" Big Lube Bullets makes a mold by the name of JP that comes in around 210 or so for around $100 delivered. You can also buy some from Springfield Slim already lubed and ready to shoot. I finally had Dave Farmer make me a mold at Hoch molds that is just perfect for the Schofield case. It is a 3 cavity and cost twice the price of the Lee's but without the problem's of the Lee molds. Mike Venturino stated this very thing in his book Shooting Six guns of The Old West. He said that the use of the Schofield case would allow more control in rapid fire and it does. You will also be historically correct as this was done in the old west. Give Springfield a PM. I also use Mobil One grease on the base pins of my revolvers and they spin perfect after firing 50-70 rounds of BP.

1874Sharps
12-24-2009, 02:05 PM
I am sure either one would accomplish your goals. I have, like others, been using 45 Schofield in my 45 Colt revolver for CAS. It takes 26 grains of FFFG with a 230 grain RCBS Cowboy RFN boolit with slight compression. It gives plenty of pleasing, choking gray smoke and good accuracy in spite of the long free bore. It is certainly faster and more manageable than 35 grains of FFFG in a 45 Colt.

LVRFAN
12-25-2009, 02:10 AM
OK, this is something that I have to ask- why would anyone WANT to shoot BP in the .45 Auto? I think some of you guys have been sniffing sulfur way too long!

cajun shooter
12-25-2009, 11:32 AM
By your chosen handle of lever fan it would imply that your interest lays with that type of gun. We are talking about the 45 Schofield round which was designed for the S&W Revolver with the same name and after the Calvary officer which designed it. The 45 Spl round that is posted is actually the 45 Cowboy case that was designed by AJ in New York. Neither of these cases are designed for auto work. Perhaps your Christmas egg nog was spiked a little on the strong side. Merry Christmas