PDA

View Full Version : Paper Patching

Turboman
12-19-2009, 03:22 PM
Ive been shooting greasegroove for awhile now in my sharps,Want to get into paper patching,Just curious how you guys roll yours,It sure is hard getting that little paper around that bullet just right.
thanks jeff

303Guy
12-19-2009, 03:41 PM
Yes it is - at first! [smilie=b: :mrgreen:

But then, somehow, somewhere deep in your neural network, a connection is formed and it gets easier and more and more satisfying! Then you get really good at it!:drinks:

montana_charlie
12-19-2009, 04:28 PM
Just curious how you guys roll yours,
Have you ever seen it being done?
There is a video around here, somewhere.
CM

Crash_Corrigan
12-19-2009, 04:31 PM
Get a ciagarette roller from a smoke shop. They work real good on .30 cal boolits. For fatter boolite ya r gonna hafta open up the groove on the ends of the frame to accmodate a heavier boolit.

I dip the paper {computer paper} into a shallow dish of warm water with some egg white and it wrapps really easily and dries and shrinks tight to the boolit.

Then I dab a tiny piece of JPW on the paper and size down to final size. Load and shoot 'em up.

For the 303 I cast then size down to .308. Wrap and dry. Dab with JPW and size down to 314.

docone31
12-19-2009, 07:03 PM
Crash,
You do not need the egg white for this.
Easier to clean up.

Turboman
12-19-2009, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the help guys,Sure would like to see the video if anyone can find it id sure appreciate it.
than ks again jeff

Southern Son
12-19-2009, 11:33 PM
Turboman, I think that one of the videos was posted by RMulhern.

barrabruce
12-20-2009, 08:17 AM
Mean this one...http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=56587

There is was one on youtube as well somewhere.

There probably be many others that can shoot the flys of a bulls bum at 1000 yrds too but this is how the "big" boys do it.

Bowing hummbly

Barra

Kenny Wasserburger
12-20-2009, 01:13 PM
Crash's advice wont work too handy with 45 caliber slugs, I use a rubber block as a patching board, mater of fact I sell them at the many matches I attend these days.

Forget the egg whites the glue and the other BS. Not needed PERIOD.

Distilled water and a small dish and a sponge fill the dish with sponge in it with distilled water and a couple ounces of Rubbing Alch, this helps the patch dry faster and shrink up the paper a bit.

lay your patch on the damp sponge in the plate, and pat it a bit, till paper is wet, lay wet patch on rubber block and put bullet on it and roll away. I fold the base over the edge and push it flat against the base of the bullet, use only enough to over hang the base about .180 to .200 this results in NO Tails to deal with.

I then set patched bullet on a Candle warming plate from Wally mart. And it dries in just a couple of mins.

This method yields a very good patched bullet. Now dependent on the bullet size size and paper will tell if this is accurate in your rifle.

KW

The Lunger

303Guy
12-20-2009, 01:29 PM
I then set patched bullet on a Candle warming plate from Wally mart. And it dries in just a couple of mins.Just when I was looking for an idea - out pops the the answer! :idea: Great!:drinks:

montana_charlie
12-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Just when I was looking for an idea - out pops the the answer! :idea: Great!:drinks:
You have probably watched Mulhern's video a number of times...no?
When he finishes a bullet, did you notice the square aluminum plate he sets it on with a bunch of others?

That appears to be one of those Lyman lubrisizer heaters that have threaded holes for an array of lubers.

I'm not familiar with candle warmers, but the little 'hotplate' used at an office desk to keep a single cup of coffee warm works well for about twenty-five bullets.
(It's also great for melting a soupcan of bulk lube, to pour into the reservoir on your lubrisizer.)

And...there's always the clothes iron sitting on a metal plate...

CM

303Guy
12-20-2009, 04:07 PM
Here is a 118gr 25 boolit dry patched and 'twist crimped/folded' - completely dry!

The orientation of the samples is to get the light reflection to show the shape of the boolit.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/MVC-428F.jpg

This is a printer generated patch and the bands at the base are actually a mismatch of the guide lines but I used this patch to show the alignment of the patch even though the casting is a two diameter with a leade matching taper between plus a slight taper on the bore-ride section. The patch is applied and twisted tight in my finger followed by a twisting/folding action to 'crimp' the overhang.

I get the dry wrapping just as tight as with wet patching. The advantage of dry wrapping is the strength of the paper allows for correction of alignment during the tightening twisting action.

With a little practice and fiddling around, it becomes quite easy.:roll: