PDA

View Full Version : Winchester lever problem

Shuz
12-19-2009, 03:06 PM
I have a Winchester 1894 in .44 mag that has the lever that won't always stay "up" when closed. It kinda wants to hang down. Is there a fix for this?

Trailblazer
12-20-2009, 10:50 AM
There is a little spring loaded pin with a wedge shaped end in the back end of the lower link. It is supposed to catch on the front edge of the lower tang to keep the lever up. Yours might be stuck. Maybe it needs some solvent and lube to free it up or it could be broken.

Shuz
12-24-2009, 02:01 PM
Trailblazer--Thanks for the tip. I found that the wedge and spring appear to work fine, it's just that the wedge doesn't stay friction fit on the front edge of the lower tang. Yesterday I tried applying some Loc-tite to the lower tang to see if I can "make it grow" a bit. It may not last, but we'll see if it works for a while.

robroy
12-24-2009, 03:16 PM
Shuz, the wedge (detent) is worn or the spring is fatigued. Drive out the small pin in the lever and replace them both. If Brownell's doesn't have them Jack first will.

robroy
12-25-2009, 02:23 PM
MY BAD, I was thinking of a 336 not a 94. The locking plunger and spring are in the link that pivots at the front of the action. Still driving out a small pin will allow removal of the spring and plunger.

Trailblazer
12-25-2009, 10:57 PM
I wonder if the parts are fitting right. It should have more than a friction fit. The bottom of the lower tang is thin enough that the little wedge tip should "hook" above the edge of the tang. I have swapped lower tangs amongst different 94's and they don't all fit right in that area. You may have a parts mismatch.

Shuz
12-29-2009, 01:50 PM
Applying the Loc-Tite helped some, but I know it's not gonna last. It's not that big of a deal that the lever drops sometimes if I shake the gun. At least I stripped it all down and found out that I have no leading in the bbl and was able to clean it from the rear!
Thanks for all the suggestions!--Shuz