PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 225438 alignment problem

donnis
12-19-2009, 01:12 PM
I bought this mold a while back and just got it out to cast. The alignment pin on the far side doesn't quite align and keeps the mold from closing up tight. This leads to finned boolits unless I pour _very_ slowly. I'm sure the boolits are a little fat and not quite round, too. The 225646 I bought at the same time closes up tight and casts perfectly.

What kind of warranty does Lyman offer and how hard are they to deal with on something like this? I bought it from MidSouthShootersSupply (in May).

Should I try to chamfer the hole or should I try to return it to MidSouth or Lyman?

Thanks.

runfiverun
12-20-2009, 04:40 PM
dounds like you need to tap the alignment pin in a little the last two rcbs molds iv'e gotten have had to have the pins pushed in some.
one needed some drastic whacking and a couple of wood chunks to protect it.

Larry Gibson
12-20-2009, 06:39 PM
If it closes up tight when not on the handles then you have a handle problem; DC on single cavity handles, not enough clearence in the handle prong groove, etc. That is easy enough to fix with a little file work on the prongs. If the mould doesn't close tight off the handles then a little adjustment of the pins is in order as runfiverun mentions.

Larry Gibson

JIMinPHX
12-21-2009, 12:14 AM
If you could post a few pictures, it might help us to help you troubleshoot the problem.

donnis
12-21-2009, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll take alook at it and post back with what I find and pictures if I can't figure it out.

Appreciate the help.

donnis
12-22-2009, 11:22 PM
Tapping the alignment pin in was the ticket. 2 good whacks and the mold is closing up good now.

Thanks for the help.

HORNET
12-23-2009, 09:09 AM
donnis,
As long as you're adjusting the alignment pins, take a small chamfering tool (I use my case deburring tool) and cut a small chamfer at the mouth of the holes. Just enough to break the sharp edge. It'll help guide the pins into position and let the mold close a little easier. It also helps prevent getting burrs in the holes. Make sure the mold still closes correctly without any 'play' between the halves when closed.