PDA

View Full Version : Marlin vs. Winchester in .45 Colt?

kingstrider
12-19-2009, 10:59 AM
So I've been thinking it would be fun to have a rifle chambered in .45 Colt but am torn between a Marlin 1894 and a Winchester 94. I've had a couple Winchesters but really prefer the Marlin design and action. The catch is that I want a short barrel and the only Marlins I've seen are the Cowboy models with the long octagon barrel. Does Marlin make a short barrel version in .45? For the Winchester I'm mainly looking at the Trapper versions but I've never cared for the safety on those. So basically I'm looking for opinions from folks with either gun, good or bad. And for what its worth, none of the imports or the Henry big golden bubba or whatever it is called are worthy of space in my safe and will not be considered. So what say ye, Marlin or Winchester??

felix
12-19-2009, 11:05 AM
The one you can shoot the best. Buy both, and take one back. Your local pawn shop normally will do this for you. ... felix

NickSS
12-20-2009, 05:45 AM
I have both and like them both. I have a trapper angle eject and a 20" Marlin carbine. Both shoot very well and are handy. However, My favorite rifle in 45 colt is a Rossi 92 Puma stainless steel rifle. It is lighter than either the marlin or winchester and works slick as glass and shoots as well as either of my other two rifles in this caliber.

missionary5155
12-20-2009, 10:28 AM
Good morning
I also have a Rossi (well 2 but one is with my son) in 45 L Colt. I personally think they are fine rifles and worth the money. They shoot well & seem to take the high end loads in stride. Another nice thing is... If I want to hack saw my barrel and magazine NO ONE would get all flittered and accuse me of doing something absurd & destroying some artifact of history.

Throckmorton
12-20-2009, 11:11 AM
the lever compoound throw on the winny's is just too long for my liking. I have 1 in .357,and it stays home a lot.The Rossi goes to the range all the time.
between the 2 you're asking about,the Marlin would be the one I'd buy.

felix
12-20-2009, 11:30 AM
The best lever throw goes to the Ruger lever gun hands up and down, but the gun is a 44 mag only. Sales have been lackluster to say the least, so predictably there will be no caliber add ons. ... felix

Gee_Wizz01
12-20-2009, 11:31 AM
I also have a Marlin and a Rossi. The Rossi has the 16" barrel and get shot a lot more than the Marlin. However, my eyes are going bad and I can mount a scope on the Marlin which is the reason I purchased it. The fit and finish are about equal on the two, Marlin has checkered walnut and the Rossi has nice wood that looks very similar to walnut. They are equal in the accuracy department. The Rossi is lighter to carry. I looked at the 94, but I am not a fan of the 94 action. I do like the feel of the 92 action better than the Marlin, but that is purely subjective in my opinion. They are both very good rifles IMO.

G

45r
12-20-2009, 12:57 PM
I like my Marlin 45colt CB and it shoots very well.

Grapeshot
12-24-2009, 05:12 PM
I have to vote for the Marlin as well. The Rossi '92's are good, but the Marlin is easier to clean, especially if you are using Black Powder.:Fire:[smilie=b:

StarMetal
12-24-2009, 05:16 PM
Not only is everything a repeat on TV this question is too...but I'll reply. I have bought the Winnie Trapper pre-safety model and the Marlin Cowboy. They are both really nice rifles and they both function and shoot well. I'd be hard pressed to have to choose one to get rid of, thus why I have both. I do favor the Winchesters, I think they are sleeker and lighter.

Joe

August
12-24-2009, 09:33 PM
Early Marlin Cowboys had 24" barrels. The current crop has 20" barrels. They don't come shorter than that, 'cause you need that length to get ten rounds in the magazine.

txpete
12-25-2009, 11:25 AM
I have a win trapper and its a good shooting stubby.if you go chasing pigs in the brush and cactus it does it very well.
pete

6pt-sika
12-25-2009, 01:06 PM
I had Marlin 16" barreled rifles in 357 , 44 , 45 and 30-30 !
They all performed well for me !

Although I gotta say I liked the 44 and the 30-30 the best out of the 4 !

As to Rossi/Puma I had a Puma in 480 Ruger I ordered new from a local dealer . He got the gun in I looked at it paid for it took it home and put it in the safe . After about a year or so I sold it to a fellow on one of the forums I frequent for what I had in it and never fired the gun . I didn't like the way it looked or the way it felt when I handled it . While some like the Puma's alot and by no means am I saying they are incorrect but for me the Puma is NOT the gun to get !

45r
12-25-2009, 07:00 PM
If Michigan changes the rules allowing the handgun cals in rifles they will be hard to get so you might want to get one soon.Especially if you want a 45 colt Marlin.When Indiana started allowing their use the Marlins went very fast.