PDA

View Full Version : Indian 2A1 Extractor problem or not?

broomhandle
12-19-2009, 01:36 AM
Hi Guys ,

Bought a Indian 2A1 rifle from a collector pal, he never shot it in the 10-12 years he had it.
I cleaned the rifle up & the barrel looks like new. I soon discovered that ejection was iffy!:confused:

I took the rifle to a local Enfield collector & we compared my rifle to his 2A1. We discovered that the Ejector was one from a 303 (rimmed)! I send to the correct one. I fit it (that spring is STRONG!) I try the ejection with a few dummys. It works well!

Now the problem?? Or is it? I don't want to fix some thing that is not broken!:???:

I go to close the bolt & release the firing pin. The bolt will not go into battery! It looks like the ejector with the spring force behind it, will not allow the bolt to seat properly. On his rifle the bolt will close, but the spring force is weaker.

I cleaned the extractor cut & there is no junk in it.

I see my options - file or grind the extractor a bit keeping the all the shapes in tact
( my worry is that the hook will get short (weak & snap) & not extract the cases again)

Or try to file the extractor slot a tad deeper. I have not had a chance to ink up the parts to see what is hitting yet.
As I said with a case in the chamber it work OK!

I cannot see how it is hanging up at this time & really don't want to fight with the spring again for a fitting with out the spring in place. This might be normal for this rifle like the oddites Japanese rifles have.

Thanks for any help moving slowly on this problem,
broomhandle

broomhandle
12-22-2009, 06:24 PM
Hi All,

I fixed it ! :bigsmyl2:

A file will not cut the one I installed. I just went slow & careful with a clean stone mounted in a Dremmel. Got close & used some Harbor Freight diamond files to finish it up!

I just lowered the angle of the extractor about 10 degrees.[smilie=p:
The rifle shoots very wel!
I hope this is the only problem I have with it.

I saw a few of the 2A1's in the last few weeks.
All of them had very strange shaped extractors, no two were the same!

My extractor has more metal to support the claw & strip a stuck case than some of the others, I have seen.
It contacts the extractor slot better & pushs back to allow the bolt to close on a empty chamber just like a regular rifle;)

Best to all,

broomhandle