PDA

View Full Version : WW Vs lead pipe

wistlepig1
12-19-2009, 12:32 AM
Can anyone tell me how does lead pipe compared to Wheel weights for bullits? Thanks Martin:holysheep

454PB
12-19-2009, 12:49 AM
Lead pipe is usually pure or nearly pure lead, BHN (hardness) of 5 or 6. It works fine for muzzle loaders and low velocity centerfire with a little tin added.

Wheelweights have about 4% antimony and 1/2% tin added to pure lead, BHN around 12.

So, it depends on what you plan to use these boolits for.

Down South
12-19-2009, 10:18 AM
What 454PB said. The same thing applies to most stick on WW. You can mix pure lead with clip on WW 50/50 to make nice lower velocity plinking boolits. The same mixture can be used for some hunting boolits.

Jim
12-19-2009, 11:30 AM
Ditto in agreement to above answers.

jlchucker
12-19-2009, 12:02 PM
What everyone else says. You may consider melting down your lead pipe and casting it up into smaller ingots to mix with wheelweights or linotype in your experimentation. I find that a smaller ingot from the Lee Ingot mold, dropped into my Lee 10 pound pot with wheelweight lead makes for a nice, accurate bullet for my purposes in most of the calibers I cast for. And like others have said, you can also cast muzzle-loader bullets from that pure lead. I've never tried this, but I suspect that a pure lead bullet cast from a SWC mold and placed in a sabot might make a pretty decent deer/bear projectile.

runfiverun
12-19-2009, 02:28 PM
ctually a lot of lead pipe is extruded and contains up to 5% antimony it's rather soft because of the swaging,just like hornady's swaged wadcutters are.