PDA

View Full Version : Talk about a DUMMIE!

Freightman
12-18-2009, 11:55 AM
I pluged in my LEE 20-4 lead pot to cast some boolits, yesterday. Well things and a bad memory got in the way, i plugged it in at about 4 PM yesterday and remembered it at 9:30 AM this morning. Lead was still in the pot not on the floor and was covered with a blue/black scum an hot.
Think I am going to go get a breaker for it so that with no activity for so long it turns off, if there is shch a thing.
Sure glad that it didn't catch anytthing on fire and burn the shop down, I guess I need to make an inventory of what is in the shop in case I do have a fire for insurance purposes, as I would be hard pressed to remember what is in it.

1874Sharps
12-18-2009, 12:09 PM
No, Freightman, you are not a dummie. Stuff like that happens. Glad all is well and nothing bad like a fire happened.

376Steyr
12-18-2009, 12:24 PM
I made a heavy duty timer for my case tumbler using hardware store electrical items: A turn-the-dial wall timer (usually used for bathroom fans); a duplex outlet; a cut up heavy duty extension cord; and a box to mount it all in. I plug the timer/outlet into a regular wall receptacle and plug my tumbler into the timer/outlet. It would work equally well for a lead melter.

stocker
12-18-2009, 12:26 PM
Freightman: rather than a breaker try using a heavy duty timer such as I have for the block heater in my Cummins. Set the timer for the number of hours you expect to be casting and plug your pot directly into the timer. It will shut off when times up.

cptinjeff
12-18-2009, 12:28 PM
Glad all is well.

Although probably excessive. It would be real easy to install a dial timer (like is at a lot of rental units to operate the lights so folks who don't pay the electric bill can't leave the light on) so that you turn the dial for the amount of time you want the outlet to work before it goes off.

jeff

clintsfolly
12-18-2009, 12:31 PM
I have a buddy how comes and casts in my shop about 2 mouths ago on a Saturday we where casting. on Tuesday afternoon i go into the shop and his lee pot is still plugged in!!!!:shock:v:evil: [smilie=s: Clint

beanflip
12-18-2009, 12:53 PM
someone is very lucky

montana_charlie
12-18-2009, 01:29 PM
A turn-the-dial wall timer (usually used for bathroom fans);
I plug the timer/outlet into a regular wall receptacle and plug my tumbler into the timer/outlet.
It would work equally well for a lead melter.Your tumbler probably draws more current than the average bathroom fan, but (apparently) not enough to cause a problem.
Plug a melting pot into it, and you have entered an entirely new range of current requirement.

The pot will probably suck all the smoke out of the timer.
When there is no smoke left in an electrical gadget, it no longer works.
But, sometimes, the smoke coming out of the gadget will infect other surfaces...like wood benches, curtains, or carpets...causing them to start losing their smoke.
Then you lose all of the smoke in your property and building materials.

When all of that smoke is gone, you are homeless.

376Steyr
12-18-2009, 02:20 PM
Montana Charlie: You definitely have a point there. I used a timer with a either a 15 or 20 amp at 120VAC rating (for use on a 20 amp/110V circuit), but a quick browse thru the internet shows there are timers with a rating as low as 3 amps. A fellow who didn't know what he was doing could get himself into trouble in a hurry. Thanks!

Mk42gunner
12-18-2009, 02:49 PM
In theory, if your electrical circuit is not overloaded, you could leave your melting pot plugged in all the time. With no damage to anything, except your wallet.

We all know Murphy's Law, "What can go wrong, will." The corollary is "Murphy was an optimist."

And yes, letting the smoke out of electrical items is a bad thing.

Robert

sagacious
12-18-2009, 03:19 PM
In addition to any other safety devices/timers you have in your shop, make sure you have a working ABC-rated fire extinguisher handy at all times. If all the other safeties fail, the fire extinguisher will still be there.

yondering
12-18-2009, 05:06 PM
I made a heavy duty timer for my case tumbler using hardware store electrical items:

Dang, you just reminded me that I turned on my tumbler last night, and it's still going. Gonna have some real round buckshot when I get home! :veryconfu

dolang1
12-18-2009, 06:44 PM
Thanks Freightman for posting this. I'm always looking for ways to protect me from me. With my memory like it is, this timer on my lead pot may save me from burning down my house. Later Don

Tazman1602
12-18-2009, 06:52 PM
Not stupid at all man. I set the oven timer when I turn on my pot because of the same thing. Now I use a small plug in timer on that and on my case tumbler because it just makes it easier to not forget. I'll NEVER forget it's on when that timer is on, if the timer is NOT on it...........well, "stuff" happens, glad you didn't burn down your shop!

kbstenberg
12-18-2009, 08:21 PM
Freightman I would like to thank you for this thread!!!!! After reading it to my wife, i also said about all the others that had written about there incidents. She then told me that she had thought about my doing the same thing (I cast in the basement) I told her i will make a timer for the PID i am building. So hats off to you sir for helping me even though i didn't know i had a problem
Kevin

Dale53
12-18-2009, 08:41 PM
I left a lead pot (with NO thermostat) on all night one time. It didn't burn up but it sure got my attention.

When I built my utility barn (which has a dedicated casting station) I set it up so that the electrical panel is next to the exit door. As I "leave the premises" I hit the breakers to OFF. I don't care what I may have left on it is OFF when I leave. I have it set up so that my lights have current to the switch at all times but NO outlets. That is the best "fail safe" there is.

Regarding my tumbler, I have it set up with a timer. When the time is up it shuts off. Sometimes I just don't want to empty it when it is through and this solves that little inconvenience.

FWIW
Dale53

docone31
12-18-2009, 09:20 PM
I did that also.
I got out home bombed out. We spent four years rebuilding it. I put in designated circuits for every circuit, use, and appliance.
In my shop, and casting room, I can turn everything off with one switch.
I already found myself forgetting things, I kinda built in a fool (me) proof switch.
I do check it a lot.

Sprue
12-18-2009, 09:54 PM
I've been fortunate in the past couple years myself but my mishaps have been kitchen related.

Every now and then (too frequent actually) I'll put something on the kitchen stove, then head on out to the shop. Once in the shop its soooo easy to get all involved in something. Next thing is that I'll eventually go back in the house for something only to find that you can hardly see for the smoke. I've ruined a few pots, pans etc. but have been lucky.

One day I recently after a mishap, I got on the computer and did a search, I did a search for a 10 minute timer.

Lately, when I put something on the stove I now start my new (software) 10 minute timer, have it commence running indefinitely in the background.

Faithfuly, ever 10 minutes I get a vintage type kitchen timer sound (ding) on my computer.

So far so good :)

DLCTEX
12-19-2009, 01:08 AM
I use a plug in timer rated 15 amps for my tumbler and may start using it for my casting pot. (10 amps is good to 1200 watts) If using one, be sure to only set it to turn off and do not set turn on time, as it will do so in 24 hrs. if so set.

geargnasher
12-19-2009, 01:39 AM
In theory, if your electrical circuit is not overloaded, you could leave your melting pot plugged in all the time. With no damage to anything, except your wallet.

We all know Murphy's Law, "What can go wrong, will." The corollary is "Murphy was an optimist."

And yes, letting the smoke out of electrical items is a bad thing.

Robert

Yes. Ask Lloyd Smale what Murphy did to him with a casting pot.

Gear

Southern Son
12-19-2009, 02:53 AM
I have not left my pot on after I finished casting (YET). I have been called away after turning the pot on (one of the things I hate most about living next door to my work) and by the time I got back the pot had emptied itself.

c3d4b2
12-19-2009, 08:18 AM
here is a timer that is good to 15 Amps (1800 Watts).

http://www.ruralking.com/timer-outdoor-2-on-off-display.html

3006guns
12-19-2009, 08:45 AM
You're not a dummy..........things like that happen to all of us, trust me! As suggested, a timer rated at the same or larger wattage of the pot would work great, but something that will go for at least an hour.

I have a further, fool proof suggestion. I placed a large sign on the inside of my shop door where you have to see it on the way out. All it says is....

"Did you turn it off?"

Works well for pots, machine tools, coffee machine and the lights.....

Freightman
12-19-2009, 11:46 AM
here is a timer that is good to 15 Amps (1800 Watts).

http://www.ruralking.com/timer-outdoor-2-on-off-display.html
Thanks! will get one on the way, a sign is a good idea if I remember to read it.

PatMarlin
12-19-2009, 12:08 PM
Scary thing too as we have members who have lost everything in a fire that way.

lwknight
12-19-2009, 04:50 PM
There are times when even the best of the best can have a cranial rectitus day.

Gunfixer
12-19-2009, 07:08 PM
I'll have to say me too. I have turned on the pot and gone to something else while it heats up (FWIW I leave my Lee BP full when I turn it off, seems to keep cleaner) last time I did it, on at 6 pm, oops off at 9 am next day. I too am going to look into those timers

Woodsroad
12-19-2009, 09:35 PM
Smoke alarms, anyone?

Mk42gunner
12-19-2009, 11:46 PM
While I haven't managed to leave my lead pot on overnight, yet. Last winter I left a castiron griddle over a low flame overnight. I had been making grilled cheese sandwiches.

I woke up and stumbled into the kitchen to start the coffee and smelled something that wasn't right. After looking around and figuring what was wrong I turned the fire out and left the griddle there to cool down, warned the kid not to touch it, etc.

After thinking about it, I was thankful that it was cast iron and not teflon coated.

Robert

Dale53
12-20-2009, 03:34 AM
FWIW;
I got my timer at Walmart. It was a happy purchase.

Dale53

Tazman1602
12-20-2009, 06:13 AM
Smoke alarms, anyone?

Hard wired into the house, leaving the pot plugged in won't set them off..........................<GRIN>. Get the timer.............

Jim
12-20-2009, 07:10 AM
When I go into my shop to cast, I plug in my pot and set a wind-up kitchen timer to 30 minutes. I stay in the shop piddling and getting ready 'till the timer goes off. When the bell rings, I check the pot and go to casting.
When I'm done, I pull the plug on the pot and do a DOUBLE CHECK of EVERYTHING before I walk out. I guess having safety drilled into me after over 30 years in the construction industry tends to make me a bit over cautious.

pjh421
12-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Once I bumped the switch on my RCBS pot. It hadn't been on long enough to give off an odor but I found out it was on by burning my arm. Since then I follow the rule that if I'm not casting, like even if I have to stop for dinner or to relieve myself, the pot must be unplugged. Its a small inconvenience to re-warm the mould and pot and I don't ever have to wonder about whether its on.

RP
12-21-2009, 05:37 PM
i got a power strip on my bench with a light that turns on when I have the strip on pots and warming burning is plugged into it along with my sizer, So if the light is on so is the other items but a timers is not a bad ideal I have kids and they never do anything like leave something on must be the elfs or some other mythical creatures.

buck1
12-27-2009, 01:21 PM
I left mine on for 2 weeks once. now I not only turn em off but unplug as well. God looks after little children and fools I guess. ...Buck

Jon
12-29-2009, 01:23 PM
Here's a time at lowes.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=140599-95363-TMSW60MWL&lpage=none

They also have a 24H version. They don't seem to list the current rating though.

PatMarlin
12-29-2009, 02:19 PM
God looks after little children and fools I guess. ...Buck

I can confirm that ...[smilie=1::Fire: