PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning RF jackets.

jaguarxk120
12-18-2009, 10:37 AM
I'm new to the forum but not to reloading and making bullets. I just completed a batch of RF jackets and the last cleaning step was to use a slow cooker I picked up at a flea market. Threw in the cases and some cleaner, let them cook for a coupla hours, clean jackets.

I use a wax lube when deheading and the cooker took care of that OK. Also cleaned the inside of the jackets.

deltaenterprizes
12-18-2009, 11:38 AM
I am thinking about getting a small ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight for about $30 for that purpose.

ANeat
12-18-2009, 12:21 PM
I use an ultrasonic cleaner. I thought they were pretty clean but the **** that comes out ...WOW

Also Im cleaning before doing anything else. The guys say that the priming residue is pretty abrasive and will eventually wear down the punch if they are not cleaned before de-rimming

jaguarxk120
12-18-2009, 12:56 PM
I use a ultrasonic cleaner to, but I had the cooker and just wanted to try it out. Bought the cooker for mixing bullet lube, I use Alox 2138F and beeswax.

dragonrider
12-18-2009, 01:11 PM
I have an ultrasonic cleaner, never thought of using to clean brass. what solvent or cleaner are you using.??

wheezengeezer
12-18-2009, 01:21 PM
I use a gallon of 5% vinegar and a gallon of water with a healthy squirt of dishwashing detergent.Rinse in hot warer to speed up drying.

ANeat
12-18-2009, 02:48 PM
I also use vinegar/water with just s drop of Dawn.

The guy on 6mmbr tested a bunch http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html

shooterg
12-18-2009, 02:50 PM
Dang good idea - and I can tell the bride I'm getting one JUST to clean all her jewelry....

sagacious
12-18-2009, 03:24 PM
The guys say that the priming residue is pretty abrasive and will eventually wear down the punch if they are not cleaned before de-rimming

That is a fact. Ya sure can't get those fired 22lr cases too clean before running them through your dies.

Red River Rick
12-18-2009, 04:34 PM
FYI. Glass beads in a tumbler, with water and a dash of dish soap works really good. Cleans about 90% of the burnt powder residue from inside the brass. Saves on the tooling..............big time.

RRR

wonderwolf
12-18-2009, 05:14 PM
What size glass? I have some course stuff but I'm hesitant to use it because it seems like it will still get in places it shouldn't

Red River Rick
12-18-2009, 05:37 PM
What size glass? I have some course stuff but I'm hesitant to use it because it seems like it will still get in places it shouldn't

Wonderwolf:

I got a bag from a friend who works for the Dept. of Highways here. They spray the glass beads onto the still wet paint when they paint the lines on the highways up here. The beads reflect light, making the lines more visable on the highway at night.

There was nothing on the bag to indicate what size the beads are. So I can't answer that question. However; make sure the beads are round, and not crushed glass. The crushed particals tend to pack into the case, and will cause all kinds of grief (I know).

As far as the beads getting into place you don't want them too, like in the recess of the rim, I do a fast visual inspection. If there are any, I pick them out with a dental pick or sharp piece of music wire.

After tumbling, I just wash the beads away, not worring about trying to salvage them. A few cups in a 6 lb Thumbler Tumbler is all you need, so your not wasting a whole lot.

Try a small batch and see how it works out. Works better than any of the polishing media avaiable! The ultra-sound cleaner may work as well...........but I've never tried that method.

Season's Greetings!
:drinks:

RRR

ANeat
12-18-2009, 06:02 PM
The ultrasonic leaves the inside of the case looking like new.

Ammosmith
12-18-2009, 06:49 PM
I use my rotary tumbler (rock polisher) and I have three phase cleaning operation. The first phase is really hot tap water with about 1/8 cup of vinegar and a tablespoon of Palmolive dish soap and let it do it's thing for about an hour cleaniong about 1000- 1500 cases. Then I rinse real well under hot tap water. Second phase is hot tap water only for about 20 minutes then strain and rinse under hot water.

To dry and get any tarnish I shake dry all the brass then toss them into the vibratory tumbler with fine walnut media charged with brasso for about 30-45 minutes.

They come out looking like gold and silver (CCI Stinger cases) and sift well.

So far very little to no dirt, crud or other foreign stuff to jam the case to the swaging post.