PDA

View Full Version : Duracoat

Beekeeper
12-18-2009, 01:20 AM
I figgered I would ask the experts but after waiting for a week for an answer from the manufacturers I give up.

Now I am going to ask the real experts!
I have a brother(when he wants something) who wants to duracoat a rifle.
Where he lives the temps now are ranging 65-70 during the day and 30-40 at night in his shop.
He has the duracoat and following directions (he said) applied it to the rifle and left it to set up overnight.
The next day he could scratch it off with a fingernail and it all came off when he wire brushed the rifle to clean it again to try and re-coat it.

His question was , does temperature have an effect on duracoat when it is applied?
I have never had a problem with it so could not answer his question and the manufacturers haven't cared enough to answer either.

Does anyone have an answer???

Jim

Lead Fred
12-18-2009, 02:21 AM
Ita a mutha to get it to stick.

You have to bead blast so that you leave a coarse surface.

clean it, spray it, bake it, leave it cure for a month.

After that, nothing will ever bother it.

Even the SKS bolt shows no sign of it coming off.

All my non blued ones are duacoated.

If my 45-70 wasnt a collector piece, Id done it too.

Tippet
12-18-2009, 04:36 AM
takes weeks to cure, but once it does it should be very hard to get off

Rockydog
12-18-2009, 11:23 AM
Here is a link to a site that did a Duracoat project and reported on it for the members. The Instructions are listed at the end on the article. He did mix the hardener in I hope? It sounds like his temps are rather low. They even recommend baking at 110*F. RD

http://www.bowhunting.net/artman/publish/FieldEvalGordonDuraCoat.shtml

Phat Man Mike
12-19-2009, 12:10 AM
the gunsmith in our club has to bead blast the item's first and do plenty of prep work. :bigsmyl2: :redneck:

Tippet
12-19-2009, 12:15 AM
Bead-blast the item's what?

jdgabbard
12-20-2009, 05:45 AM
I bake mine in the oven. It sets up REAL hard. Give it a try some time...