PDA

View Full Version : Dillon RL550B document

Tazman1602
12-17-2009, 09:05 PM
Hey guys,

Don't know how many of you use Dillon RL550B presses, I LOVE mine but it's OLD. Dillon has sent me many parts and instructions to get me going again but the breakdown for ENTIRELY taking apart my 550B was lacking a bit. I used to be a technical writer in computer engineering and believe if you can't put it in plain terms you don't understand it. I have taken pictures of the total breakdown and replacement of parts on my RL550B including the "toggle link" where the handle and the main ram attaches too.

I didn't want to post it here due to server space but will be happy send it to anyone who can open it in MS word. Or, if you have a place I can post it, I would be happy to as long as my name remains on the document.

Let me know and I will be HAPPY to save Dillon some customer service emails and HAPPY to save you the frustration. Dillon is an A#1 company that has NEVER welched on Mike's "No BS" warrenty to me.

Art

mike in co
12-18-2009, 01:11 AM
Hey guys,

Don't know how many of you use Dillon RL550B presses, I LOVE mine but it's OLD. Dillon has sent me many parts and instructions to get me going again but the breakdown for ENTIRELY taking apart my 550B was lacking a bit. I used to be a technical writer in computer engineering and believe if you can't put it in plain terms you don't understand it. I have taken pictures of the total breakdown and replacement of parts on my RL550B including the "toggle link" where the handle and the main ram attaches too.

I didn't want to post it here due to server space but will be happy send it to anyone who can open it in MS word. Or, if you have a place I can post it, I would be happy to as long as my name remains on the document.

Let me know and I will be HAPPY to save Dillon some customer service emails and HAPPY to save you the frustration. Dillon is an A#1 company that has NEVER welched on Mike's "No BS" warrenty to me.

Art
i clean and lube mine(2), but if iwas spending any serious amount of time "working" on teh press , i would simply send it back and let them refurb to like new....why beat yourself up ?

mayeb you could offer your data to dillon ?

mike in co

Tazman1602
12-18-2009, 05:23 AM
i clean and lube mine(2), but if iwas spending any serious amount of time "working" on teh press , i would simply send it back and let them refurb to like new....why beat yourself up ?

mayeb you could offer your data to dillon ?

mike in co

I did Mike, it's theirs for the asking. I was having an issue with some .357 dies I've got and the press indexing properly. Dillon was extremely helpful and sent me all parts and promptly answered all emails within 24 hours. It was just a bit confusing to take it down that far.

Besides, since the price of gas went sky high so did shipping prices and UPS or the like would have cost me twenty bucks to send it back to them, and knowing how to align that press is a good thing in the long run.

Wasn't that bad a job and now I can take that press down to it's bare frame and put it back together again in about ten minutes.

I'm one of those weirdo's that just have to know everything about my equipment I can............otherwise why would I hang out on a forum with a bunch of guys who melt down little pieces of lead with clips on them to turn into bullets? <GRIN>

Art

Bob J
12-18-2009, 08:55 AM
Hi Art,
I have an old Dillon 550B and would love a copy of your document.... PM inbound! ;)

Hey guys,

Art

cptinjeff
12-18-2009, 09:30 AM
I would love the info also.
Thanks. jeff

pm on the way

casper_zip
12-18-2009, 09:54 AM
Hey there:

I'd love to have this info. I have two of the Dillion 550's. One is older than the other, but, I also have kept it updated.

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Bob Eaves aka Casper_zip

wb5trx@hughes.net

scrapcan
12-18-2009, 11:41 AM
pm inbound also. information is good.

Tazman1602
12-18-2009, 05:20 PM
Coming at you Bob.

Art

Hi Art,
I have an old Dillon 550B and would love a copy of your document.... PM inbound! ;)

DukeInFlorida
01-01-2010, 06:40 PM
I've gotten a very new Dillon 550B, and fortunately, it was already set up for one caliber (9mm Luger), including dies in place.

In the course of two hours, I also set up additional tool heads for .40 S&W (using Lee dies, and Lee powder measure), and 5.56 (rifle) using Lee dies and Dillon powder measure.

However, during that two hour time, I studied the manual that came with it a whole LOT! And, truly find it lacking in many respects.

So, far, everything I am doing it with small primers (pistol and rifle). I'm scared to death with the prospect of changing out the primer feed to the large size.

Sooooooooooo.... Could I also bother you for a copy of whatever you have documented?

anachronism
01-01-2010, 07:24 PM
So, far, everything I am doing it with small primers (pistol and rifle). I'm scared to death with the prospect of changing out the primer feed to the large size.

It's two screws, plus replacing the inner magazine tube, which takes about one minute all told. To make certain you have the primer feed aligned correctly, simply leave the mounting screws loose a couple of turns, then push the operating lever forward, compressing the spring on the primer slide. Holding the lever forward, tighten the two screws, then reattach the return spring.

Tazman1602
01-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Hey Duke,

My doc won't help you much in that respect but it's an easy process to change out the primer feeds --- now that being said I'm very picky about my ammo and even pickier about primers and seating. I have RARELY used the priming system on my Dillon because I MUCH prefer the RCBS hand priming tool. I also take the time to brush out the primer pockets of once fired brass but the Dillon system DOES work.

The only thing I've heard about it, and I think I read it here somewhere, was that the primers are stacked in that tube and if one goes off it will blow a hole through the ceiling of the room it's in --- now I've never had the problem.

You should have four different tubes, Blue, Red, Yellow, and Green. The blue is for feeding small primers and the red is for feeding large primers within the protective tube with the knurled cap --- those tubes just drop into the primer feed tube but they have a notch and you'll have to turn the tube until you feel it drop into the notch. The other two tubes, Yellow = small primer pickup, Green = large primer pickup are so you can pick up the primers without touching them with your fingers -- they have a pin that goes through the end to keep the primers from dumping out until you have it on the tapered portion of the feed tube, then pull the pin and primers fall in.

The other thing you'll have to do is remove the two allen head screws underneath the whole assembly to install the other primer seating device itself -- a spare pair of hands helps to keep the tower from tipping here and make sure there aren't any primers IN it when you change it. Once you get it apart you'll see how it works. If you still have problems shoot me a PM here and I'll take pics of how mine comes apart and goes together and send them to you gladly.

Lee hand prime, RCBS hand prime, it's just simpler for me to do it that way and eliminate the primer portion of my press..........besides, it's reloading and it's a passion and I LIKE to do it that way..............

OH! PM me with your email and I'll send you a copy of what I do have now.....

Art

I've gotten a very new Dillon 550B, and fortunately, it was already set up for one caliber (9mm Luger), including dies in place.

In the course of two hours, I also set up additional tool heads for .40 S&W (using Lee dies, and Lee powder measure), and 5.56 (rifle) using Lee dies and Dillon powder measure.

However, during that two hour time, I studied the manual that came with it a whole LOT! And, truly find it lacking in many respects.

Sooooooooooo.... Could I also bother you for a copy of whatever you have documented?