PDA

View Full Version : Max. Velocity for Linotype

zipdog
12-17-2009, 06:22 PM
I just scored 42# of linotype for what I think is a good price, and I plan to cast some boolits for .338 Federal. Does anyone know of a practical max velocity for linotype boolits?

StarMetal
12-17-2009, 06:28 PM
I just scored 42# of linotype for what I think is a good price, and I plan to cast some boolits for .338 Federal. Does anyone know of a practical max velocity for linotype boolits?

I don't know what it would be for lino, but I'll tell you with water dropped 50/50 ww's/lead you're shoulder will give out before the alloy will.

Waste of lino shooting it straight.

Joe

Lead Fred
12-17-2009, 06:37 PM
I use water dropped gas checked 150gr FN in my 30-30 and I can push them at 2200fps no problem.

I am using White Lubes 2500+ lube

runfiverun
12-18-2009, 03:06 PM
the only thing iv'e ever used straight lino for is 22's.
and i'll probably end up cutting it with ww's and pure before its over.
in the 358 win for full tilt, 25% pure to older ww's w dropped beats j -words in velocity.
and accuracy.
a number i'e heard thrown out though is bhn x 1422 for alloy pressure.
but thats easily exceeded with the right powders and boolit fit with g/c's of course.

Shiloh
12-18-2009, 06:01 PM
Water dropped wheelweights get pretty hard. Water dropped 50/50 alloy has been driven to 1900+ FPS in an '06. No leading Boolit fit is king. I use Lino for hardening soft lead only.

Shiloh

RobS
12-18-2009, 06:41 PM
It comes down to pressures and not speed of the bullet as to how hard the alloy needs to be. Faster powders will give you higher pressures to start................Slower powders will give you lower pressures at the start and will give a more consistent push throughout the length of the bore; a fast abrupt kick start vs a gradual push to a final sprint to the finish scenario.

As mentioned by runfiverun, the 1422 X the BHN (lino is around 22) will yield the pressure a bullet can withstand prior to diminishing accuracy due to bullet deformation. Although a gas check skews these figures a bit as a softer bullet can be utilized with such an application. Also as Shiloh stated "bullet fit is king" as this will cut down on leading problems assciated with an undersized bullet.

If you have access, take a look at a reloading manual where there are published pressures to the loads and this will give you a general around about to what you are looking for.

RANGER RICK
12-18-2009, 06:44 PM
Zipdog

Save that lino and get some WW and mix it or water Quench the WW to get the desired BHN
Does not seem to be a lot of Lino floating around anymore ????

RR