PDA

View Full Version : GC that come off!!??

wistlepig1
12-16-2009, 11:49 PM
Today I went to shot the lyman 311466 bullits that I made into HP mold. I shot some into a blowsand bank and recovered 2. The HP's took a beating but I noted that the GC with all the beating were still on the bullits. There has been many threads about GC's comming off or not, and if they do were they go, and on and on. These didn't even after a real beating, I know little about it but thought in this case it was interesting. For your consideration!
1.bullets
2. mold I put the modification on was a 170 and now 150gr
3. 1966/1866 26" Winchester 30/30

DLCTEX
12-17-2009, 02:15 PM
You don't indicate the brand or manufacture date of the checks. The Hornady checks (and reportedly Lyman is now made by Hornady) bite into the shank and are much less likely to come off if properly installed on a properly sized shank. The older Lyman/Ideal checks were just a cup and could slip off. I think that Gator checks also bite the shank and would be less likely to slip, but I have never used them, so don't know this firsthand.

missionary5155
12-17-2009, 02:37 PM
Good afternoon
It all depends on the diameter of the GC shank of the boolit, the thickness of the GC material, how "springy" is the GC material & how much the sizer (if used) squeezes the GC down to size.
I really do not mind one way or the other... just so everything is consistent and does not affect accuracy.

wistlepig1
12-17-2009, 03:03 PM
Well I would like to tell how old these Hornary Checks are but all I can say is I have not cast for 30 cal in over 30 yrs. Now that I am retired and have more time than money, a lot more time, I have taken it back up again and have expanded to 22 cal. The 22, so far has not gone well, 22 Hornet. I posted the photo more than anything to show that some stay on ever under very harsh treatment, point blank into blowsand. I have far more question than answers.

sagacious
12-17-2009, 06:01 PM
Good job. They're supposed to stay stuck, and yours did. As noted, the Hornady ones get a good bite and usually stick tight.

It's always interesting to look at recovered bullets. Now you need something that you can shoot into that won't smash-up your bullets. You can learn a lot through careful examination of the fired slugs.

wistlepig1
12-17-2009, 08:36 PM
Sagacious,
You sure are right, a good recoved bullet can tell you a lot. In this case I used a blowsand bank to put as much stress on the bullet as I could. Now I am going to try to recove a better one, maybe slow it down with a couple of milk jugs/water and then see what I get. I just turned that mold into a HP with my mill and I want to see if I did good or not.

sagacious
12-17-2009, 10:04 PM
Sounds good! Keep us posted on the results.

wistlepig1
12-21-2009, 10:07 PM
Update 12/21/09 Went back to the range to see if I could recover the Bullits without destroying them, here is the setup, gallon jug of water, 1/2 pine board to cause then to expand, more jugs.

Recovered Bullit

Nice expansion .493" 74 grs of 150 grs

sagacious
12-22-2009, 11:03 PM
Looks good, those gas-checks are stuck on tight. You can also use old phonebooks for testing. Put a couple wraps of tape around each book (to hold it together), and soak them in a bucket of water for 15 minutes. You can then line up a number of phonebooks and commence fire. The soaked books can be shot a number of times-- whereas the water-jugs are a one-shot deal.

Keep up the good work! :drinks:

wistlepig1
12-23-2009, 12:57 AM
That first jug took a bad one! Then split the 1/2 pine, into the second jug and took a 90* turn and the bullit was sitting on the side of the bench waiting for me to find it.

I had 2 jugs left, shot them without the wood, as far as I know the bullit is still flying. What fun!

Now time to go for accuracy, these were 10grs of unique and shot 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 @ 50 yds off hand. Martin