PDA

View Full Version : 32 ACP Sizing Die

arclight
12-16-2009, 09:14 PM
So I bought a box of Redline 78gr cast bullets, and I'm going to try loading the 32 ACP again. I have an old RCBS steel 3-die set dated 1975.

I noticed that the decapper has no expander ball - it's a decap-only pin. Does anyone know if this is normal for this caliber?

Also, the size die appears to have a step in it which results in a neck-down being placed on the case. Anyone know why this is done?

Thanks!

Arclight

StarMetal
12-16-2009, 10:22 PM
So I bought a box of Redline 78gr cast bullets, and I'm going to try loading the 32 ACP again. I have an old RCBS steel 3-die set dated 1975.

I noticed that the decapper has no expander ball - it's a decap-only pin. Does anyone know if this is normal for this caliber?

Also, the size die appears to have a step in it which results in a neck-down being placed on the case. Anyone know why this is done?

Thanks!

Arclight
Here's how a 3 die set works and there are variations. One is a sizer die. Some sizer sizer dies decap too. One die is strictly a bullet seater. One die should be an expander die to expand the case to the proper size to hold the bullet. Some expander dies also decap and all expander dies should bell the case mouth for easier bullet insertion. Usually on the older RCBS dies it is written on top what they are...that is sizer, seater, etc..

Joe

NickSS
12-17-2009, 05:25 AM
I have a set of 32 acp dies that also has a slight step near the case mouth. It sizes the brass noticeably smaller at the mouth. I then run it through the expander die and it opens it up a bit but still smaller. When I seat the bullet it still has a very slightly tighter look. The only thing I can think of is that they made it to give more neck tension. The ammo works well in my Berretta tomcat and my old Savage 1917 pistol.